Souvenir by Therese Fowler

Souvenir

by Therese Fowler

English (12)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (14)
THIS is a debut novel? Wow! I've read many more-experienced novelists who do not display the maturity in their writing that Fowler does in this first effort. Bravo!
  KC_in_KS | Aug 3, 2011 |
Loved this book! It is one of the best books I have read in awhile! ( )
  booksandbutter | Jan 19, 2010 |
Reviewed by Amanda Dissinger for TeensReadToo.com

SOUVENIR is a heart-wrenching novel in the vein of Nicholas Sparks' THE NOTEBOOK and A WALK TO REMEMBER.

It is a novel about lost love, the possibility of second chances, and the fate that brings us all together.

Meg is a doctor with a sixteen-year-old daughter, and a businessman husband. Things seem to be normal in her life; she's stable at home, and she loves her job. However, she's still holding on to many secrets from her past, including a mistake that haunts her every day.

After a shocking change in her life, she decides to come to terms with her regrets, and decide what she wants in the future.

SOUVENIR is a tearjerker that is very realistic in its tale of true love and heartbreak. It is very well-written, and stays with you long after the first reading. This title will no doubt become a classic in future years because of its touching story and meaningful characters. ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 13, 2009 |
Souvenir is wonderfully written and vivid. The settings are immaculately descriptive and add vibrancy to a subject that is otherwise stark and at times somewhat depressing. She’s given life to her character’s surroundings in a way that allows the reader to feel as if they are sitting in Carson’s old guesthouse. I could almost smell the citrus in the air as he and his father navigated through the groves bonding and working the land.

Even more compelling is the strong and compassionate voice Fowler has given to Meg as she endures the realization that she has gotten the most out of her life that she can ever expect. But then, the author shifts gears so gradually that the reader barely feels Meg’s transition from trapped and passive bystander in life to proactive live each moment like it’s your last woman on a mission.

As part of that shift in focus the portrayal of relationships is another very strong element throughout the entire novel. The author does well to show the strong contrast between the relationships Meg holds with her parents and siblings, then with her husband and daughter, and then finally with the man she considers her soul mate even though they are no longer together. What I held most dear is how Fowler used those around her to better develop Meg’s character. Showing her to be the glue that held everything together.

Not wanting to ruin the ending for the reader I’ll say it was believable and touching. The characters in the story, having gone full circle, ended up in the places in life that one would imagine events such as these would have led them.

Having already read Fowler’s follow-up Reunion, which I enjoyed as well, I can say unequivocally that I enjoyed this story far more. It was unpredictably heartfelt and poignant. Though not a novel of high-spirits and frivolity I would strongly encourage a reader to pick Souvenir up and read it. It was just that good. ( )
  galleysmith | Jul 11, 2009 |
I was so mad that I almost gave up on this book before I made it through the prologue. I'm so glad I didn't.

The prologue happens on the eve of Meg's wedding and basically lets you know that yes, she is in love with Carson, and yes, she is allowing financial and family concerns pressure her into marrying Brian. Now, I have no romantic notions about what being poor is like, and I would much rather have money than not. However. The idea of her selling out that way made me MAD. I guess if a book can make you mad, that's one sign it's a good book.

As it happens, I just couldn't keep hating Meg. She made a bad decision when she was very young and really... who hasn't? This book brings up tons of interesting issues that kept my husband and I up talking late at night. Issues like: regret, coping with illness and death, teenage sexuality, shades of abusive relationships... on and on. Without spoiling anything, I have to warn you that this book made me cry.

Read this book. It's well-written (I couldn't believe it was a debut novel) with a lot of emotional depth. The characters are likeable for all that they're a little messed up (who isn't?). And most importantly, it's the kind of book that doesn't leave you after you've turned the last page. ( )
  vanedow | Apr 10, 2009 |

Meg Powell and Carson McKay were raised side by side on their families’ farms, bonded by a love that only deepened as they grew. Everyone in their small rural community in northern Florida thought that Meg and Carson would always be together. But at twenty-one, Meg was presented with a marriage proposal she could not refuse, forever changing the course of her life.

Seventeen years later, Meg’s marriage has become routine, and she spends her time juggling the demands of her medical practice, the needs of her widowed father, and the whims of her rebellious teenage daughter, Savannah, who is confronting her burgeoning sexuality in a dangerous manner and pushing her mother away just when she needs her most. Then, after a long absence, Carson returns home to prepare for his wedding to a younger woman. As Carson struggles to determine where his heart and future lie, Meg makes a shocking discovery that will upset the balance of everyone around her.

Fowler's debut is the heartbreaking story of a woman who made what she thought was a responsible decision, only to have to live with the consequences. (T)this outstanding debut is recommended for all public libraries. --Library Journal (starred review)
"Compelling; the characters are likable, troubled, and human, and they're well worth following on their journey."  USA Today
"Truly impossible to put down."  Booklist
"Full of...thought-provoking scenarios. Book clubs will find plenty to discuss here, and women with teens will resonate with the mothering and marital dilemmas. No matter what you think of the ending, Fowler's story will keep you reading until the last paragraph."  Bookreporter.com
"Souvenir is tender, touching, and completely compelling. I cared so much about these characters, couldn't put the novel down, read through the night. Fowler writes with such wisdom about young love, intense and impossible choices, and the way one decision can affect an entire life."
-Luanne Rice

In this powerful fiction debut, Therese Fowler combines the emotional resonance of Nicholas Sparks with the intense, true-to-life richness of Jodi Picoult to create a stunning and dramatic novel all her own.

Meg Powell and Carson McKay grew were raised side by side on their families' farms and expected to always be together. But at twenty-one, Meg was presented with a marriage proposal she could not refuse, forever changing the course of her life.

Seventeen years later, her marriage has become routine, and she spends her time juggling the demands of her medical practice, the needs of her widowed father, and the whims of her rebellious teenage daughter, Savannah, who is pushing her mother away just when she needs her most. Then, after a long absence, Carson returns home to prepare for his wedding to a younger woman. As Carson struggles to determine where his heart and future lie, Meg makes a shocking discovery that will upset the balance of everyone around her.

Unfolding with warmth and passion, Therese Fowler's vibrant and moving debut illuminates the possibility of second chances, the naïve choices of youth, the tensions within families, and the wondrous designs of fate. A searing yet redemptive novel, Souvenir is an unforgettable tale about the transforming power of love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:56 -0400)

Seventeen years after entering into a marriage agreement on her family's behalf, Meg Powell is reunited with her first love, Carson McCay, a situation that complicates her attempts to repair her strained relationship with her daughter, Savannah.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,672,394 books! | Top bar: Always visible