Don't Let the Goats Eat the Loquat Trees by…

Don't Let the Goats Eat the Loquat Trees (1986)

by Thomas

Thomas Hale writes about being a missionary surgeon in the same delightful way James Herriot writes about being a country veterinarian. Dr. Hale's incredible experience in tiny, mountainous Nepal are surpassed only by his talent for telling about them. Imagine, for example, the culture shock of moving to a Hindu country under such rigid religious control that it is not only illegal to proselytize, but illegal to change religions as well. Imagine further the shock of moving to that country as a missionary doctor. Thomas Hale and his wife, Cynthia, also a physician, too on that awesome challenge in 1970.God wasted no time teaching tom the peculiarities of his new culture. But His unusual method left Tom wondering what God was up to. Here is how Tom tells about it:"These were not the phlegmatic, easy-going Nepalis described in books and orientation courses. Those who spoke gesticulated fiercely. Some looked around menacingly; others spat. One thing was certain, however: in the cause of their anger they were united. The word was out: the new doctor had killed a cow. My own sense of participation in the proceedings was intense. I was the new doctor."--ExcerptAs Tom goes on to describe the events the preceded the angry scene in the Nepali village, the image of the spiritually superior missionary quickly evaporates. In a humorous, yet deeply insightful way, the author makes it clear that he is merely a servant, using his skills to the glory of God.Tom concludes this chapter with a thoughtful confession:"In the long run, that cow did much more for me that I did for it. The mild-mannered, uncritical beast made me see in myself those negative attributes I had always ascribed to other American surgeons. Facing two hundred angry men proved to be effective therapy for removing most traces of condescension with which I previously regarded them. It also improved my relations with missionary colleagues and with Nepali brothers and sisters in the church. I guess God had no gentler way of removing some of my imperfections. I only wish I could say, for His trouble, that He finished the job. But it was a start." -- Excerpt.Dr. Hale's book refused to be preachy or condescending. It presents missions as a "want" rather than an "ought." It is sensitive, warm, honest, incredibly funny, and filled with important truths illustrated from unusual and sometimes unimaginable situations.… (more)
Member:camano
Title:Don't Let the Goats Eat the Loquat Trees
Authors:Thomas
Info:Zondervan

Don't Let the Goats Eat the Loquat Trees by Thomas Hale (1986)

The author was a doctor at a Christian mission hospital in a remote Nepali town in the 1970s. Things are in Nepal are quite primitive now, but they were much more so back then. I'm not a Christian, but I enjoyed reading about the doctor's experience trying to practice medicine in third-world conditions, and his explanation of trying to run a hospital in a developing nation: the challenges of making the limited funding stretch, of maintaining good relationships with the local villagers and the Nepali workers at the hospital, and so on. I would love to see how things are different in Nepal now, over forty years later. The only thing I would have liked more of is something about the author's non-hospital life: his marriage, how he and his wife raised and educated their children in Nepal, and so on. ( )
  meggyweg | Sep 9, 2018 |
Missionary in Nepa ( )
  DonnaDoris | Jul 2, 2009 |

Belongs to Publisher Series

Als Cynthia, ich und unsere beiden Jungen im Juli 1970 in Kathmandu, der Hauptstadt Nepals, eintrafen, bildeten wir uns nicht ein, dass der König von Nepal uns mit Blaskapelle und rotem Teppich willkommen heissen würde.

Zondervan

An edition of this book was published by Zondervan.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,370,117 books! | Top bar: Always visible