Dubliners by James Joyce

Dubliners (1914)

by James Joyce

15,285169222 (3.91)1 / 426
Published in 1914 after 10 years of argument with publishers over charges of "obscenity," these stories were once described by Joyce as "a chapter in the moral history of my country." Their collection in one volume offers a unified vision across the Joycean literary landscape, where a claustrophobic and "paralyzed" Dublin spirals outward to a wide ranging, boundless universe.… (more)

English (160)  Italian (3)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All languages (168)
Sure, this collection was written by none other than James Joyce, but let's be perfectly honest: this book encapsulates what Thoreu was talking about when he stated the obvious: "the mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." After finishing this collection of failed lives, broken dreams, religious superstition, alcoholic excess, harsh memories, heartbreak, double-dealing, etc, I am going to need lots of ice cream to cleanse my palate of from the taste of a 'why even bother' mentality. And to think that my Irish grandmother was living in these very streets as this book was written! No wonder she left! Despair at its most relentless; as one character notes, "I saw myself as a creature driven and derided by vanity; and my eyes burned with anguish and anger." And he was one of the lucky ones! ( )
  larryking1 | Aug 25, 2019 |
Joyce paints a vivid picture with his words in this book. It is a collection of vignettes describing life in Dublin at the turn of the 20th century. From the souse that works at an office of some kind to the man that had a fling with a girl and got her pregnant, this book is a veritable slice of life for that period of time. Or so I am told. I did enjoy the book quite a bit, despite how long it took to finish. One can almost see Dublin as Joyce saw it.

I have also heard it was held back from publication for indecency or something, so I was looking for that too, but I didn't really find it at all. If I do more research I know I would find out but I am not really sure that I care all that much.

Hmm... Well, in any case, this is a great book. The characters aren't really memorable in terms of their names, but I do remember their descriptions and whatnot. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |
Dubliners is a collection of vignettes about everyday people living in Dublin, Ireland. In the beginning I did not like the stories because as soon as I was getting into a story it would end abruptly. But as I continued reading I realized that this was because my expectation was short stories that would stand on their own and that is not what this book was. Once I began looking at the novel as a whole rather than treating each story as separate, I really began to appreciate and enjoy the book. The writing was beautiful and the characters really came alive and were very real and true to life. Joyce managed to give us glimpses of all the aspects of life in Dublin, from children to the elderly, covering religion, school, marriage, death, family relations, and the simple day to day. This book as given me the courage to one day attempt to read Ulysses. ( )
1 vote Cora-R | May 22, 2019 |
A reread of Dubliners, which I haven't read in half a century. A first read of the Norton Critical Edition with its supplementary materials. Dubliners could get 5***** on its own, but the supplementary materials in this NCE are absolutely superb, even better than the usually excellent NCE material. Especially good were Howard Ehrlich's " 'Araby' in Context: The 'Splendid Bazaar,' Irish Orientalism, and James Clarence Mangan" and Victor Cheng's "Empire and Patriarchy in 'The Dead'." ( )
  CurrerBell | Mar 4, 2019 |
Este libro tiene algunos de los mejores cuentos que he leído. Aunque, para alguien cuya lengua nativa no es el inglés, la lectura puede ser un poco confusa (mi caso), por el inglés tan local que usa Joyce de vez en cuando, la calidez humana, la comprensión del sufrimiento que maneja el autor y su excelente prosa hacen que la experiencia valga mucho la pena. ( )
  LeoOrozco | Feb 26, 2019 |

Scholes, Robert E.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Senn, FritzEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zimmer, Dieter E.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Sisters

There was no hope for him this time: it was the third stroke.
An encounter: It was Joe Dillon who introduced the Wild West to us.
Araby: North Richmond Street, being blind, was a quiet street except at the hour when the Christian Brothers' School set the boys free.
Eveline: She sat at the window watching the evening invade the avenue.
After the race: The cars came scudding in towards Dublin, running evenly like pellets in the groove of the Naas Road.
Traversando il Grattan Bridge abbassò gli occhi con compatimento sulla fila dei miseri aborti di case lungo le rive del fiume. Gli apparivano come un branco di vagabondi ammucchiati gli uni addosso agli altri sulla banchina, coi vecchi pastrani fuligginosi e infangati; vagabondi stupefatti dal panorama del tramonto, che attendessero il primo freddo notturno per alzarsi, riscuotersi e partire.

This Signet Classic paperback was based on the 1968 revised edition of the 1958 Viking Compass edition of 'Dubliners' prepared by Robert Scholes and published by Penguin Books. By 2010, and with fairly good care, there should be only minor yellow to the edges. The cover holds up well. The print is easy to read, and any typographic errors are probably buried in Joyce's style.

Legacy Library: James Joyce

James Joyce has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See James Joyce's legacy profile.

See James Joyce's author page.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182458, 0140186476, 0241956854, 0141199628

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175722, 1909175463

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,208,707 books! | Top bar: Always visible