Dubliners by James Joyce

Dubliners (1914)

by James Joyce

14,588161138 (3.92)1 / 403

English (153)  Italian (3)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All (160)
Dubliners was my attempt to get into Joyce's work. I'd like to read Ulysses one day, but so far I haven't quite dared to tackle it. This is a collection of short stories that I hoped would gently introduce me to Joyce's writing. The stories are easy to understand and I enjoyed the prose. I'm definitely keeping his other work on my tbr list and would recommend Dubliners to anyone who wants a taste of James Joyce. ( )
1 vote Vinjii | Apr 18, 2018 |
We had to read a short story in school, Eveline. I haven't read the whole book, but if everything is written somehow written like Eveline, then it should be an original collection of short stories. ( )
  Oleta209 | Mar 10, 2018 |
I reread this every few years and am always amazed. It culminates with The Dead, one of the most evocative stories I know. John Huston’s film of The Dead is similarly masterful. ( )
1 vote JackMessenger | Jan 20, 2018 |
Sometimes there's a time not to read great works. I'm not sure why I chose the busy Christmas period to make my first foray into Joyce - to be quite honest it was hard going at times. Unlike what I've heard of Ulysses and Finnegan's Wake, this collection of 15 stories was not arduous at all in terms of the style of writing, but I'm not a short story collection lover at the best of times, and I found myself often reading the book just for the sake of getting through it.

Can I see what everyone raves about? Yes, I think I can. These stories were all about characterisation - subtleties and nuances which made each character quickly very believable and credible. It's just that clever as the writing and these characters were, I often found myself glazing over. I enjoyed the Dublin setting, and a number of the stories hooked me in, but many of them went nowhere, and sharply observant as the vignettes were they were often peppered with characters I didn't particularly like, which makes it hard for me to fall in love with writing even if it's from one of the so-called greats.

I struggle with collections of short stories as they aren't long enough to suck me into page-turning addiction mode, and it can take me forever and day to get through a book like this as a result (despite it only being 250 pages long). Why did I pick this up then? Well, one of my late 2017 resolutions was to get back to doing more writing competitions again, and as I don't enjoy reading short stories I've been banging my head against a brick wall trying to write any that are a shade better than complete tripe. I wanted to examine the pace, the intros and the endings in particular, and how much plot to reveal.

On that level the book did deliver, but there is a time for reading work like this, and I simply hadn't enough time or peace and quiet to give it the attention it deserved. This is a collection of stories that deserves to be studied, with attention given to the deftness of Joyce's literary art. I, on the other hand, was simply in the mood for reading for the sake of pure enjoyment.

3 stars - I appreciated it, but felt like I dragged myself through much of it. ( )
  AlisonY | Jan 7, 2018 |
I finished the last story in this collection last night--Christmas Eve, coincidental with the story taking place on Christmas night. I have enjoyed every one of the tales in this book, the light brushstrokes with which each character and scene is painted, the reliance on simple human circumstances rather than action-heavy, moralistic plotlines. They rise from the page, leaving me with the sorts of emotions--wistfulness, annoyance, regret, joy--that I know well from real life. Beautiful. ( )
  thesmellofbooks | Dec 25, 2017 |

O'Brien, GerryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scholes, Robert E.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zimmer, Dieter E.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Sisters

There was no hope for him this time: it was the third stroke.
An encounter: It was Joe Dillon who introduced the Wild West to us.
Araby: North Richmond Street, being blind, was a quiet street except at the hour when the Christian Brothers' School set the boys free.
Eveline: She sat at the window watching the evening invade the avenue.
After the race: The cars came scudding in towards Dublin, running evenly like pellets in the groove of the Naas Road.

This Signet Classic paperback was based on the 1968 revised edition of the 1958 Viking Compass edition of 'Dubliners' prepared by Robert Scholes and published by Penguin Books. By 2010, and with fairly good care, there should be only minor yellow to the edges. The cover holds up well. The print is easy to read, and any typographic errors are probably buried in Joyce's style.

Declared by their author to be a chapter in the moral history of Ireland, this collection of 15 tales offers vivid, tightly focused observations of the lives of Dublin's poorer classes. A fine and accessible introduction to the work of one of the 20th century's most influential writers, it includes a masterpiece of the short-story genre, "The Dead."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:20 -0400)

An unabridged republication of Joyce's early twentieth-century vignettes of Irish life.

Legacy Library: James Joyce

James Joyce has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See James Joyce's legacy profile.

See James Joyce's author page.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182458, 0140186476, 0241956854, 0141199628

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175722, 1909175463

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,147,576 books! | Top bar: Always visible