Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Dubliners (German Edition) by James Joyce

Dubliners (German Edition) (original 1914; edition 1998)

by James Joyce

14,957163220 (3.92)1 / 412
Member:timoheuer
Title:Dubliners (German Edition)
Authors:James Joyce
Info:Philipp Reclam jun. Verlag GmbH (1998), Paperback, 339 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:irland, englische literatur, dublin, glaubenskrieg, england, krone, könig, königin, katholik, protestant, glauben, kirche, christentum, christen, irische literatur, kurzgeschichten, short stories, lang:de

Dubliners by James Joyce (1914)

English (155)  Italian (3)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (162)
This was really a book of short stories. It is an oral history of some of the people in Dublin Ireland.

There isn't really much to say about this book. Except I didn't like it at all. It was hard to read, and all of the stories ended without being "wrapped up" which I found annoying. The stories were not interesting at all. I am sure it is all me - I just don't think that James Joyce is for me. I cannot recommend it, because I truly did not like it at all. But someone who loves James Joyce might want to give it a try. It isn't a very big book, so it wouldn't take long to tackle. ( )
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
I hadn't read Joyce's collection of short stories in years when I opened this paperback and began. I had forgotten how swiftly he renders his characters and how details he describes help define the characters and the movement in his stories. This collection stands the test of time and ha for a century. ( )
  nmele | Nov 27, 2018 |
Lovely collection of stories about Dublin. ( )
  brakketh | Nov 15, 2018 |
Dubliners was my attempt to get into Joyce's work. I'd like to read Ulysses one day, but so far I haven't quite dared to tackle it. This is a collection of short stories that I hoped would gently introduce me to Joyce's writing. The stories are easy to understand and I enjoyed the prose. I'm definitely keeping his other work on my tbr list and would recommend Dubliners to anyone who wants a taste of James Joyce. ( )
1 vote Vinjii | Apr 18, 2018 |
We had to read a short story in school, Eveline. I haven't read the whole book, but if everything is written somehow written like Eveline, then it should be an original collection of short stories. ( )
  Oleta209 | Mar 10, 2018 |

Scholes, Robert E.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Senn, FritzEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zimmer, Dieter E.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Sisters

There was no hope for him this time: it was the third stroke.
An encounter: It was Joe Dillon who introduced the Wild West to us.
Araby: North Richmond Street, being blind, was a quiet street except at the hour when the Christian Brothers' School set the boys free.
Eveline: She sat at the window watching the evening invade the avenue.
After the race: The cars came scudding in towards Dublin, running evenly like pellets in the groove of the Naas Road.
Traversando il Grattan Bridge abbassò gli occhi con compatimento sulla fila dei miseri aborti di case lungo le rive del fiume. Gli apparivano come un branco di vagabondi ammucchiati gli uni addosso agli altri sulla banchina, coi vecchi pastrani fuligginosi e infangati; vagabondi stupefatti dal panorama del tramonto, che attendessero il primo freddo notturno per alzarsi, riscuotersi e partire.

This Signet Classic paperback was based on the 1968 revised edition of the 1958 Viking Compass edition of 'Dubliners' prepared by Robert Scholes and published by Penguin Books. By 2010, and with fairly good care, there should be only minor yellow to the edges. The cover holds up well. The print is easy to read, and any typographic errors are probably buried in Joyce's style.

Declared by their author to be a chapter in the moral history of Ireland, this collection of 15 tales offers vivid, tightly focused observations of the lives of Dublin's poorer classes. A fine and accessible introduction to the work of one of the 20th century's most influential writers, it includes a masterpiece of the short-story genre, "The Dead."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:20 -0400)

Although James Joyce began these stories of Dublin life in 1904, when he was 22, and had completed them by the end of 1907, they remained unpublished until 1914 ? victims of Edwardian squeamishness. Their vivid, tightly focused observations of the life of Dublin's poorer classes, their unconventional themes, coarse language, and mention of actual people and places made publishers of the day reluctant to undertake sponsorship. Today, however, the stories are admired for their intense and masterly dissection of "dear dirty Dublin," and for the economy and grace with which Joyce invested this youthful fiction. From "The Sisters," the first story, illuminating a young boy's initial encounter with death, through the final piece, "The Dead," considered a masterpiece of the form, these tales represent, as Joyce himself explained, a chapter in the moral history of Ireland that would give the Irish "one good look at themselves." But in the end the stories are not just about the Irish; they represent moments of revelation common to all people. Now readers can enjoy all 15 stories in this inexpensive collection, which also functions as an excellent, accessible introduction to the work of one of the 20th century's most influential writers. Dubliners is reprinted here, complete and unabridged, from a standard edition.… (more)

Legacy Library: James Joyce

James Joyce has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See James Joyce's legacy profile.

See James Joyce's author page.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182458, 0140186476, 0241956854, 0141199628

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175722, 1909175463

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,452,361 books! | Top bar: Always visible