Home to Harmony by Philip Gulley

Home to Harmony (2002)

by Philip Gulley

I thought I'd try something different. I always assumed, that if I had to be Christian, I'd be Quaker. But after getting to p. 60 and finding that the author is sympathetic to the censorious librarian, I'm just thankful to be an atheist and to not live in a town like Harmony.

'If you went to the circulation desk to ask if the library had a certain book and Miss Rudy didn't think it was one suitable for Christian people, she would let you know.

She'd say, We don't have that book. This is a library, not a cesspool. If you want smut, you'll have to go to the city."

She'd say it in loud voice, so that people would look up from whatever they were reading and stare at you. By the time you reached home, three people had phoned your mother to tell on you."'" ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
The author, like his narrator, is a Quaker minister in a small midwestern town. The writing is lovely. Each chapter has a moral, but it is very gently delivered. Lots of humor and situations that are universal. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 26, 2016 |
What a charming book this is. Sam, a young Quaker minister returns to his home town in the US, and we get to know the stories behind several of his neighbours and friends.

It gives a lovely set of cameos of life in small-town America, which, if the book is to be believed, is apparently still rather clinging to life in the mid-20th century... even though this was written in 2002. I did rather find myself wondering when the story was going to start, after several of what seemed like introductory chapters, but gradually realised that it was, effectively, a set of linked short stories rather than a novel as such.

I found it slightly confusing at first, as it's all narrated in the first person, but still switches viewpoints to events where Sam was not present, even relating other people's thoughts - but after initial puzzlement, I became used to the style and stopped worrying about it.

There were a couple of places where I chuckled out loud, and many more where I smiled at the aptness of the writing. Well worth reading, for anyone who likes gentle character-based books of this kind. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
This is a series a friend suggested I read and I am glad I did!
I must say it's refreshing to read comedy that is intelligent. Yes ladies and gentlemen, it IS possible to be funny without the use of profanity.
Mr. Gulley brings his characters to life in bold colors and the town has something that should appeal to everyone.
And...as much trouble as his congregation gives him, I find myself wishing I could move to Harmony.
The world needs more communities like this! ( )
  JCMorrows | Aug 25, 2015 |
meh... ( )
  disneypope | Dec 29, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060858370, Mass Market Paperback)

Welcome to Harmony ...

In this acclaimed inaugural volume in the Harmony series, master American storyteller Philip Gulley draws us into the charming world of minister Sam Gardner in his first year back in his hometown, capturing the essence of small-town life with humor and wisdom.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:58 -0400)

Sam Gardner, pastor of Harmony Friends Meeting, recounts the moving and humorous adventures of his first year leading the hometown Indiana church.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,925,374 books! | Top bar: Always visible