Do Unto Otters : A Book About Manners by…

Do Unto Otters : A Book About Manners (2007)

by Laurie Keller

Recently added bydavidgn, private library, ber9ce, VCraft, JeniBarry, Misti_Caylor, eyelevelbooks, ktbailin, TracyP2010

This informational book tells its readers how they should treat others around them by telling us a story about Rabbit and his new neighbors the Otters. This book explains the Golden Rule, "Do unto others as you would have others unto you." It describes all of the things that it takes to be a good friend and a good neighbor. It explains things like kindness, politeness, forgiveness, and etc. It puts it into a way that children will understand. I would use this book in my classroom at the beginning of the year when we were writing out our classroom rules. The Golden Rule is a great one for students to know, and it is important for them to learn it early on in life. ( )
  amassingale | Apr 21, 2015 |
I absolutely adored this modern fiction book. The story began with a family of otters moving next door to a family of bunnies. These bunnies were worried about how they would get along with The wise owl told the family of bunnies to treat the otters like they would want the otters to treat them. The book continues with the the bunny going through all the the different ways that they would like the otters to treat them. I would use this book to teach my first graders about manners. ( )
  magen.rauscher | Mar 8, 2015 |
This modern fantasy was about a group of bunnies who got new neighbors, who were otters. They were upset that they were having to live next to them, because of the stereotypes of the otters. But they decided that if they treated the otters nicely, maybe the otters would treat them nicely too. This book did a really good job of explaining manners in a way that kids would relate. Throughout the book, it touches on the saying "Treat others the way you would want to be treated ", or "Do unto others". I think this book is a clever and great way to teach kids how to treat each other. At the end of the book, they were able to live next to each other and be kind to one another. ( )
  BethWal94 | Jan 26, 2015 |
I would read this book to my class on the first day to introduce the idea of being polite and getting to know people you don't know yet. Judging people is not right and this book teaches the children that there are main ways of communicating and keeping a solid friendship.
  Jammerdo | Apr 23, 2014 |
First off the illustrations are incredibly adorable! my daughter loved to look along at all the pictures in this book. The story line was about a happy go lucky rabbit who returns home one day to find out he has new neighbors...and they are otters. The little hare has no ideas about otters and is unsure what type of neighbors they will be. Wise old owl comes along and teaches bunny the old adage "Do De Do Unto Otters as You Would have them Do De Do Unto You". Will the otters be friendly and honest? Will they cooperate and be forgiving of others? Most importantly will they help their neighbor untangle his ears now and then? A funny story line with a great moral message. ( )
  dms02 | Feb 27, 2014 |
Thanks Mom, Scott, and Joan, for your continuous support and encouragement.
Hello, Mr. Rabbit.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805079963, Hardcover)

Move over Emily Post: Do Unto Otters is a guide to manners that anyone would be delighted to follow. Here beloved children's author Laurie Keller brings the "Golden Rule" to life in the form of Mr. Rabbit and his new neightbors, the Otters, who animate every page with their well-behaved hijinks, showing kids that a simple "please" or "thank you" goes a long way in making friends. And, as a special treat for Amazon.com customers, Laurie Keller created the four delightful new drawings you'll find below illustrating her unique take on etiquette for the office. Enjoy!

Amazon.com Exclusive: E-mail "Otter-quette" from Laurie Keller

More to Explore

The Scrambled States of America

Arnie, The Doughnut
Open Wide: Tooth School Inside
Grandpa Gazillion's Number Yard

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:53 -0400)

Mr. Rabbit wonders if he will be able to get along with his new neighbors, who are otters, until he is reminded of the golden rule.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,142,831 books! | Top bar: Always visible