Do Unto Otters : A Book About Manners by…

Do Unto Otters : A Book About Manners (2007)

by Laurie Keller

This book is based on fictional neighbors, a rabbit and some otters, but it is a good example of fantasy because otters and rabbits would never actually be worried about manners. This book could be good to have in a classroom to get children excited about learning because it is a little different and the illustrations are fun and could get some students excited about reading.

Media: acrylics

Uses: -discussing classroom rules and being a good neighbor
-talking about manners and why they are important
- cultural inclusion because of the different languages included in this book.
  asukonik | Feb 10, 2016 |
This book is for primary students. A rabbit finds out his new neighbors will be otters. He does not like that idea, he thinks they might be bad neighbors. he then imagines what a good neighbor may look like. It's very funny! This book teaches practical things for young students to learn about interacting with others (manners!). Really great illustrations. Speaks in simple terms, easy to understand. Written very cleverly - lots of puns. This is a fantasy book.
  jessicayambra | Jan 23, 2016 |
My new favorite book because it is so clever! My classroom is nicknamed the "Otters" so it is perfect. But this book teaches students to treat others how you would want to be treated. I like that it gives great examples of how to share and be kind. I also enjoy that it allows students to learn key words such as 'please', 'thank you', and 'excuse me' in different languages. Funny illustrations as well. Would be a great book to read to a class and refer back to.
  KyleeO | Nov 30, 2015 |
This informational book tells its readers how they should treat others around them by telling us a story about Rabbit and his new neighbors the Otters. This book explains the Golden Rule, "Do unto others as you would have others unto you." It describes all of the things that it takes to be a good friend and a good neighbor. It explains things like kindness, politeness, forgiveness, and etc. It puts it into a way that children will understand. I would use this book in my classroom at the beginning of the year when we were writing out our classroom rules. The Golden Rule is a great one for students to know, and it is important for them to learn it early on in life. ( )
  amassingale | Apr 21, 2015 |
I absolutely adored this modern fiction book. The story began with a family of otters moving next door to a family of bunnies. These bunnies were worried about how they would get along with The wise owl told the family of bunnies to treat the otters like they would want the otters to treat them. The book continues with the the bunny going through all the the different ways that they would like the otters to treat them. I would use this book to teach my first graders about manners. ( )
  magen.rauscher | Mar 8, 2015 |
Thanks Mom, Scott, and Joan, for your continuous support and encouragement.
Hello, Mr. Rabbit.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805079963, Hardcover)

Move over Emily Post: Do Unto Otters is a guide to manners that anyone would be delighted to follow. Here beloved children's author Laurie Keller brings the "Golden Rule" to life in the form of Mr. Rabbit and his new neightbors, the Otters, who animate every page with their well-behaved hijinks, showing kids that a simple "please" or "thank you" goes a long way in making friends. And, as a special treat for Amazon.com customers, Laurie Keller created the four delightful new drawings you'll find below illustrating her unique take on etiquette for the office. Enjoy!

Amazon.com Exclusive: E-mail "Otter-quette" from Laurie Keller

More to Explore

The Scrambled States of America

Arnie, The Doughnut
Open Wide: Tooth School Inside
Grandpa Gazillion's Number Yard

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:53 -0400)

Mr. Rabbit wonders if he will be able to get along with his new neighbors, who are otters, until he is reminded of the golden rule.

77 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,500 books! | Top bar: Always visible