Raising Dragons by Bryan Davis

Raising Dragons

by Bryan Davis

Other authors: Daryle Beam (Cover designer)

Series: Dragons in Our Midst (1)

This is an awesome book, the first, in my favorite series! I have read it again and recommend it to everyone!!!

Billy and Bonnie are awesome (and part dragon) and discover all sorts of things and have to defeat a dragon slayer (named Devin and they kind of do and it has lots of epic battles and they think they are safe (but they aren't!!)) ( )
  siquebella | Jul 29, 2014 |
Review by my 10 yr old son :-)

Billy and Bonnie are both half dragons. Bonnie has known her entire life but Billy only just found out. Not long after hearing what he is, he finds himself on the run from a crazy Dragon Slayer. He learns what and who his dad is and how and why they are being hunted.

I love Dragon books and my mom gave me this to try. I enjoyed it and found the story good - a boy finding out he is half dragon (how cool would that be???)and that his dad is a full dragon (even cooler) forced to become human to hide from the Dragon Slayers. He meets another half Dragon and both end up on the run with Slayers trying to kill them.
Bonnie is cool for a girl Dragon. She has wings and is quite strong. Billy though is awesome because he can breath fire. I liked both of them but my most favourite character was Walter, he is a good friend to have. He had their backs. The story was action packed and never dull. I especially liked the Arthur bits and reading about the Dragons. The Slayers weren't very nice but they were very good villains. I also want a teacher like Professor Hamilton because he was pretty cool and had awesome weapons. I also want to know who or what he is because that bit was very mysterious.
I really liked Raising Dragons and have asked my mom for the next in the series.

BookLoversLife | Apr 24, 2014 |
A 10 star book series. I suggest this series highly. ( )
  Joshmc9477 | Nov 3, 2013 |
This book is rather long for the middle-school audience it seems designed for, and it probably could have been broken into two books or significantly reduced. That being said, it does have a fast pace and plenty of action, making it somewhat easier to read. It contains a rich mythology and an interesting take on the King Arthur story and the legend of dragons. It may be a little difficult to follow, as several theories as to the reason the slayer is after Bonnie and Billy are mentioned and it is difficult to determine which is accurate. Further, Christianity comes up in the story more than is comfortable—there’s not enough to call it a religious story, but too much and too intimate to disregard it. It would be better if the author had dialed this back, or made a clear decision to make it a Christian story. Because of this and the possible overcomplexity of the storyline, it is only a medium recommendations, though the unique mythology makes it worth consideration to those who are interested. ( )
  MartyAllen | Mar 17, 2012 |
Raising Dragons is a great young adult book. It's a unique look at an old concept - dragons and the Arthurian legends. It seems Billy is part dragon on his father's side and he's starting to exhibit certain dragon powers which are hard for him to control. He makes a friend, Bonnie who is also part dragon, and the adventure begins, because where there are dragons, there are dragonslayers.

The story is full of action and surprises which will keep a young adult reader's attention. The characters are written very well. You see Billy and Bonnie grow and mature as they face the many dangerous situations. They learn to accept themselves and their differentness from other people. With all that and some humor thrown in for good measure, Raising Dragons was a very enjoyable book to read! ( )
  NCRainstorm | Jun 27, 2011 |

Bryan Davisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beam, DaryleCover designersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
===Merlin's Riddle===
When dragons flew in days of old
With valor in their wings
One fell prey to evil's song
And learned what Satan sings.

Goliath, stained with Satan's words,
Made other dragons flee,
For songs like leaven spread decay
Corrupting souls born free.

Now Satan's scales coat dragon lore;
He hides between the lines.
He sings foul words in books corrupt
And dances on their spines.

Are dragons vile? Are dragons tame?
Depends on whom you ask.
Do scales hide tricks of Satan when
He dons a fearful mask?

One man corrupted all his kin;
One dragon brought all shame.
One man redeemed His fallen race;
Will dragons find the same?

Yet dragons dwell in hearts of men,
From God and some from baals,
And some sing words with angels' wings
While most chant Satan's scales.

God redeems what men cannot
Forgives what e'er thou didst
Who else can same the men of earth
With dragons in our midst?
Once upon a time a crazy father told his son about a dream he had. Together, they twisted that dream, broke it into pieces, and built it into a story that touched their hearts. Thank you, James, for dreaming with me.
Halt, foul dragon!

Product Description:

Raising Dragons is a contemporary fantasy novel, the first book in the best-selling Dragons in our Midst series. This story inspires young people to dig deep within to find their God-given strengths and use them to overcome any obstacle. It is both a hair-raising, modern-day adventure and a glimpse into another world a world of knights, dragons, and fair maidens.

Plot Description:
A boy learns of his dragon past; a girl has known of hers for years. They combine their faith, courage, and love to overcome evil, a slayer who seeks to bring an end to dragon heritage, forever.
The kids at school call Billy Dragon Breath for good reason. His breath is bad! It isn't the normal, morning-mouth bad; it's the hot-as-fire, don't-you-dare-get-near-me bad. Trouble erupts when his hot breath sets off the fire sprinklers in the boy's restroom at school, and his parents learn that they've kept their secret for too long.
Billy finally discovers the secret. His father was once a dragon! Now that's a piece of news a guy doesn't deal with every day! Billy feels betrayed, alien, lost. When the dragon slayer traps him on a cold mountaintop in West Virginia, Billy learns to battle with weapons of steel and spirit while relying on a power he doesn't understand, a power that helps him learn to trust again.
Bonnie, an orphan, tries to find a home, someone to love her, even though she feels like a freak because of a body feature that she calls a deformity. But this unusual feature becomes a life-saving attribute as she discovers that her love for others and her faith in a creator hold the answers she's looking for.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:35 -0400)

Modern fantasy novel that inspires young people to pursue faith, courage, and love, to dig deep within to find their God-given strengths no matter how difficult the circumstances.

Bryan Davis is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,339,680 books! | Top bar: Always visible