dismiss

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Gone with the Wind (1936)

by Margaret Mitchell

After the Civil War sweeps away the genteel life to which she has been accustomed, Scarlett O'Hara sets about to salvage her plantation home.
    The Wind Done Gone by Alice Randall (lquilter, petersonvl)
    lquilter: This work was rewritten to tell the other side of Gone With the Wind, the story that Mitchell elided with her romanticized view of racism and slavery and its "happier when they were slaves" survivors. The Mitchell estate chose to sue for copyright infringement, but lost because the court recognized that this work is an important critical commentary on Gone with the Wind, and the beliefs that animated the original.… (more)
    Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: They are both scandalous women. It’s a love hate relationship.
    Jubilee by Margaret Walker (lquilter)
    lquilter: Jubilee is the true story of the author's great grandmother, a woman born to slavery as the daughter of a slave and a white slave-owner. She acted as servant to her white sister, and was a witness to antebellum life, the Civil War, and Reconstruction.
    Oh, Kentucky! by Betty Layman Receveur (blonderedhead)
    blonderedhead: Strong female heroine in a sweeping, romantic and exciting historical fiction novel. I loved both books...and think others might, too.
    The Legacy by Katherine Webb (tesskrose)
    War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (GCPLreader)
    GCPLreader: melodrama in the midst of war and the invasion (and burning!) of a major city
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (StarryNightElf)
    A Skeptic's Luck by A.D. Morel (A.D.Morel)
    A.D.Morel: There's this feeling of longing, that she will not quite get there, yet we are passionately rooting for the main character, we go through her travails with her.
    Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy (Lapsus_Linguae)
    Lapsus_Linguae: Both main heroines are strong-willed independent women who take up entrepreneurship.
    The Wind Is Never Gone: Sequels, Parodies and Rewritings of Gone with the Wind by M. Carmen Gomez-galisteo (Prinzipessa, Prinzipessa)
    Prinzipessa: This book explains Gone with the Wind and analyzes its sequels, parodies as well as the fan fiction stories based on Gone With the Wind.
    My Name is Mary Sutter by Robin Oliveira (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Winds of Tara: The Saga Lives On by Kate Pinotti (veracity)
    veracity: 'Winds of Tara' is an unauthorised sequel to 'Gone with the Wind'.
    Heart of the West by Penelope Williamson (theshadowknows)
    theshadowknows: These books share a similar epic, sweeping feel in bringing to life a lost and fading ideal (the American frontier in Heart of the West and the old, genteel south in Gone with the Wind.)
    Katherine by Anya Seton (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Its about having to deal with a very strong, charismatic man. *Sigh*
    Rhett Butler's People by Donald McCaig (mrstreme)
    Scarlett by Alexandra Ripley (Nyxn)
1930s (37)
Elevenses (179)

English (375)  Spanish (5)  French (2)  Italian (2)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (387)
This Pulitzer Prize winning novel begins just before the war between the states. Scarlett O'Hara is sixteen years old. Her father is Irish and her mother is French. She has two living sisters and three brothers who died while very young. While at the Wilkes barbecue, after professing her ardor for Ashley Wilkes, in the library, she meets that rogue, that scoundrel Rhett Butler. And so it begins. Their relationship begins with fiery passion and never changes.
As I began reading this very BIG book, I decided to accompany Scarlett on her journey. She is not the best companion. She's spoiled, selfish and immature. I do believe through the years, she does mature. However, at the end of the journey, she is still spoiled and selfish. It's all about Scarlett. Throughout the story, no one defeated her and no one broke her spirit. Her motives, throughout the book, at best were questionable, however, she does possess a few redeeming qualities. She loved her parents dearly. Scarlett was good for her word. She promised Ashley she would look after Melanie and she did. During the war she took care of Melanie and her baby. With the help of Rhett Butler, accompanied by Melanie, her baby, Wade and Prissy she traveled through war torn Georgia hiding from those the Confederates fought. Her destination ~ Tara.
She was a STRONG character! She was, without a doubt, one of the strongest female protagonists I've met, in fiction.
She loved Math and had a good head for business.
She didn't care what anybody thought or said. Gossip was just that, gossip.
Now I turn to Rhett Butler. Rejected by his family and the citizens of Charleston, he came to Georgia. He traveled frequently and there are a few surprises in the story about him. He was a blockade runner during the war, however, toward the end of the conflict, he fought with Georgia. I loved the way he teased and tormented Scarlett. I laughed with him as he plagued her. I thought he was hilarious. Rhett and Scarlett were so much alike, but I didn't think he was the bully Scarlett was. He could see right through her antics and read her mind, much to her distress. They were both incorrigible.
I can't say I really had a favorite character, however, I did like Mammy and Melanie. At times I was surprised at Melanie. Ashley was a broken man.
The book is well written. Highly recommend! ( )
  KatiesCottage | May 7, 2020 |
Unfortunately, it's one of those novels that tells an interesting story, but doesn't hold up under a second reading. The characters are flat, the writing less than stellar. ( )
  rodweston | Apr 23, 2020 |
A Book Your Mom Loves

More so than many other novels written during less progressive times, Gone With The Wind (GWTW) requires a modern reader to overlook or at least endure descriptions, dialogue and narrator commentary that would prevent its publication today. I plead ignorance regarding Margaret Mitchell beyond the dust jacket's contention that she wasn't aware the South lost the war until age ten because, despite her extensive second-hand exposure to the War, no one bothered to tell her that part of the story. So it's possible that she doesn't share her narrator's biased attitudes and that she would describe the experience of plantation life for slaves in harsher terms than is presented in the book. Whether that's true or not, if you're going to appreciate GWTW, you're going to have to set aside your enlightened viewpoints and at least tolerate long passages of annoying dialect, free usage of the n-word (although it's only used in dialogue, not narrative, reflecting how people talked rather than what the narrator believes) and the prejudiced editorializing of the book's narrator.

GWTW is a long, rambling saga. It covers over a decade of Scarlett's life, at times in slow, repetitive and mundane detail (the opening scenes, while needed to build our understanding of Scarlett, take entirely too long getting through one day). Other times, it rushes through a catastrophic event, then skips days or weeks ahead (Scarlett's fall down the stairs and Bonnie's death feel especially fast). Having seen the movie multiple times, I was surprised by how much worse Scarlett is in the book. She is unscrupulous in her business dealings and unfeeling in her relations with others. She doesn't even love her first two children (who don't appear in the movie).

Where Scarlett is an unsympathetic protagonist, the other characters do a poor job of providing alternative objects for our sympathy. We feel for Rhett and the high price he pays for loving Scarlett, but he squanders our feelings on his own disreputable ways to the point that his noble deeds and kind treatment of others aren't enough to overcome his flaws. Ashley is simply weak and ineffectual; there is nothing admirable about his hidden love for Scarlett. Melanie is said to be a great lady but she's blind to both Scarlett and her husband's true characters, making her a fool. Combined, they are a portrait of dysfunctional adults in an often unbelievable story of an unscrupulous woman looking out only for herself in the aftermath of the War. Understandable behavior, yes; honorable, hardly.

GWTW is ultimately not a redemption story. Yes, Scarlett realizes at the end that her obsessive love for Ashley has been a chimera and that if she had won him early on she would have discarded him the way she did all her other beaux. But she does nothing with this realization, she simply retreats to Tara after Rhett's abandonment and puts off dealing with her altered reality until tomorrow, when she will find a way to win him back. To be honest, she doesn't seem capable of many of the realizations she has over the course of the book and I don't buy into her statement that tomorrow is another day.

I wanted to write a more positive review of the book, particularly after watching the movie and appreciating the many details in the book that didn't make it to the movie. It's the primary reason I prefer reading, the way an author can paint a world in words that a movie's images can't match. But Mitchell paints an unrealistic picture when she writes of the Southerners' dismay at Northerners repeated inquiries about blood hounds and whippings (as though these things never occurred) or shares the Southerners' belief that life was better as a slave than free. If she had presented a neutral picture, GWTW would have been a stronger book. Instead, it reads somewhat as a rebuttal to Uncle Tom's Cabin.

I have been meaning to read GWTW for some time, and I'm glad I did in spite of the tone of this review. It's not particularly well written but its characters do leave an impression. ( )
  skavlanj | Mar 22, 2020 |
Savannah was a port. ( )
  LindaLeeJacobs | Feb 15, 2020 |
Uit het bezit van Juffrouw Stijweg
  Marjoles | Jan 21, 2020 |
An old fashioned, romantic narrative with no Joycean or Proustian nonsense about it, the novel is written in a methodical style which fastidious readers may find wearying. But so carefully does Author Mitchell build up her central character of Scarlett O'Hara, and her picture of the times in which that wild woman struggled, that artistic lapses seem scarcely more consequential than Scarlett's many falls from grace.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jul 6, 1936)

This is beyond a doubt one of the most remarkable first novels produced by an American writer. It is also one of the best.

The historical background is the chief virtue of the book, and it is the story of the times rather than the unconvincing and somewhat absurd plot that gives Miss Mitchell's work whatever importance may be attached to it.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Ralph Thompson (pay site) (Jun 30, 1936)

Mitchell, Margaretprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Ein Mensch ist in seinem Leben wie Gras/er blühet wie eine Blume auf dem Felde;/wenn der Wind darüber geht, so ist sie nimmer da,/ und ihre Stätte kennet sie nicht mehr. Psalm 103
To J. R. M.
Scarlett O'Hara was not beautiful, but men seldom realized it when caught by her charm, as the Tarleton twins were.
As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again. (Scarlett)
I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' babies. (Prissy)
After all, tomorrow is another day.
My dear, I don't give a damn.
This LT work is for Margaret Mitchell's original 1936 novel, Gone with the Wind. Please distinguish it both from partial copies of the work (one or another volume from a 2, 3 or 4-volume set) and from the 1939 movie version of the same name. Thank you.

Set in Georgia at the time of the Civil War, this is the story of headstrong Scarlett O'Hara, her three marriages and her determination to keep her father's property of Tara, despite the vicissitudes of war and passion.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,626,383 books! | Top bar: Always visible