Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Gone With the Wind (1936)

by Margaret Mitchell

1930s (106)
    Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: They are both scandalous women. It’s a love hate relationship.
    The Wind Done Gone: A Novel by Alice Randall (lquilter, petersonvl)
    lquilter: This work was rewritten to tell the other side of Gone With the Wind, the story that Mitchell elided with her romanticized view of racism and slavery and its "happier when they were slaves" survivors. The Mitchell estate chose to sue for copyright infringement, but lost because the court recognized that this work is an important critical commentary on Gone with the Wind, and the beliefs that animated the original.… (more)
    Oh, Kentucky! by Betty Layman Receveur (blonderedhead)
    blonderedhead: Strong female heroine in a sweeping, romantic and exciting historical fiction novel. I loved both books...and think others might, too.
    Jubilee by Margaret Walker (lquilter)
    lquilter: Jubilee is the true story of the author's great grandmother, a woman born to slavery as the daughter of a slave and a white slave-owner. She acted as servant to her white sister, and was a witness to antebellum life, the Civil War, and Reconstruction.
    War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (GCPLreader)
    GCPLreader: melodrama in the midst of war and the invasion (and burning!) of a major city
    The Legacy by Katherine Webb (tesskrose)
    A Skeptic's Luck by A.D. Morel (A.D.Morel)
    A.D.Morel: There's this feeling of longing, that she will not quite get there, yet we are passionately rooting for the main character, we go through her travails with her.
    The Wind Is Never Gone: Sequels, Parodies and Rewritings of Gone with the Wind by M. Carmen Gomez-galisteo (Prinzipessa, Prinzipessa)
    Prinzipessa: This book explains Gone with the Wind and analyzes its sequels, parodies as well as the fan fiction stories based on Gone With the Wind.
    The Winds of Tara: The Saga Lives On by Katherine Pinotti (veracity)
    veracity: 'Winds of Tara' is an unauthorised sequel to 'Gone with the Wind'.
    Heart of the West by Penelope Williamson (theshadowknows)
    theshadowknows: These books share a similar epic, sweeping feel in bringing to life a lost and fading ideal (the American frontier in Heart of the West and the old, genteel south in Gone with the Wind.)
    My Name is Mary Sutter by Robin Oliveira (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Katherine by Anya Seton (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Its about having to deal with a very strong, charismatic man. *Sigh*
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (StarryNightElf)
    Rhett Butler's People by Donald McCaig (mrstreme)
    Scarlett: The Sequel to Margaret Mitchell's Gone with the Wind by Alexandra Ripley (Nyxn)

English (271)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (277)
I clicked on a GR link that offered me a bunch of books to rate that I apparently haven't added to my bookshelves here. I was surprised by this one. I've read it a couple of times & it's wonderful. It's a grand, nail biting tour through the Civil War and its aftermath from a southern belle's perspective. As selfish as she is, one can't help but feel for Scarlett & those around her. The romance in her life is epic, as are the changes & though the book ends, I just know the characters went on & have spent many hours pondering what might have happened. It's such a compelling world, that I just can't help it.

How many fiction books actually make such a character portrayal as to get a syndrome named for them? And the Scarlett O'Hara Syndrome is well recognized as not just for procrastination, but also for wishful, magical thinking, especially among the drug addicted.

The best thing is that the writing is super. There's enough detail to paint an entire world, but the story doesn't flow along so much as drag you in its current. It's a big book, so many don't start it, but once I start reading it, everything else goes on the back burner. I don't want to quit & then I'm sorry that it ends.

The original movie was so well done that they've never done a remake of it. That says a lot. Hollywood always re-does a success until I'm so sick of it I don't even want to hear about it, but they haven't with this one. If you've seen the movie, you know it's excellent, but if you haven't read the book, you haven't even touched the whole story yet. As good as Gable was a Rhett, the book's character is so much more. Definitely a must-read.
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
Between Scarlett O'Hara, Melanie Wilkes, and Rhett Butler...how could this book not be so beloved? Its beauty has no end, even for a modern generation. ( )
  writercity | Aug 13, 2014 |
I thought I would hate this book. Thought I'd have to drag myself through it. But I absolutely LOVED it. It was amazing. I'll read it again and again, I'm sure.

Oh, and I think Johnny Depp should play Captain Butler in a new movie version. ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
Amazing, definitely one of my favorites! I wish she had written a sequel! ( )
  meggarrett0609 | Aug 6, 2014 |
After 2 days of marathon reading, I've finished the book. I found Rhett and Ashley to both be much more interesting characters in the book than in the movie. Scarlett though better formed as a character in the book still annoys me. I would have liked to have seen more growth in her but she seems forever stuck at 16. Perhaps that's part of the point of the book. I'll be mailing this book out on Saturday, August 2nd. ( )
  pussreboots | Aug 3, 2014 |
An old fashioned, romantic narrative with no Joycean or Proustian nonsense about it, the novel is written in a methodical style which fastidious readers may find wearying. But so carefully does Author Mitchell build up her central character of Scarlett O'Hara, and her picture of the times in which that wild woman struggled, that artistic lapses seem scarcely more consequential than Scarlett's many falls from grace.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jul 6, 1936)

This is beyond a doubt one of the most remarkable first novels produced by an American writer. It is also one of the best.

The historical background is the chief virtue of the book, and it is the story of the times rather than the unconvincing and somewhat absurd plot that gives Miss Mitchell's work whatever importance may be attached to it.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Ralph Thompson (pay site) (Jun 30, 1936)

To J. R. M.
Scarlett O'Hara was not beautiful, but men seldom realized it when caught by her charm, as the Tarleton twins were.
As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again. (Scarlett)
I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' babies. (Prissy)
After all, tomorrow is another day.
My dear, I don't give a damn.
This LT work is for Margaret Mitchell's original 1936 novel, Gone with the Wind. Please distinguish it both from partial copies of the work (one or another volume from a 2, 3 or 4-volume set) and from the 1939 movie version of the same name. Thank you.

Set in Georgia at the time of the Civil War, this is the story of headstrong Scarlett O'Hara, her three marriages and her determination to keep her father's property of Tara, despite the vicissitudes of war and passion.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 068483068X, Hardcover)

An anniversary edition of Margaret Mitchell's timeless classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:38 -0400)

An epic story of the South's fight to maintain its way of life during the Civil War years. Scarlett O'Hara and her family are amongst the ladies and gentlemen at the Twelve Oaks Plantation's ball before the Civil War begins. Scarlett's love for one man keeps her from seeing the love that another man truly has for her. As the South finally crumbles around her, Scarlett devises a way to overcome starvation in order to save herself and her family.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,117,930 books! | Top bar: Always visible