Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Gone with the Wind (original 1936; edition 1936)

by Margaret Mitchell

Member:nana-maureen
Title:Gone with the Wind
Authors:Margaret Mitchell
Info:The Macmillan Company (1936), Hardcover

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell (1936)

The Wind Done Gone: A Novel by Alice Randall (lquilter, petersonvl)
    lquilter: This work was rewritten to tell the other side of Gone With the Wind, the story that Mitchell elided with her romanticized view of racism and slavery and its "happier when they were slaves" survivors. The Mitchell estate chose to sue for copyright infringement, but lost because the court recognized that this work is an important critical commentary on Gone with the Wind, and the beliefs that animated the original.… (more)
    Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: They are both scandalous women. It’s a love hate relationship.
    Jubilee by Margaret Walker (lquilter)
    lquilter: Jubilee is the true story of the author's great grandmother, a woman born to slavery as the daughter of a slave and a white slave-owner. She acted as servant to her white sister, and was a witness to antebellum life, the Civil War, and Reconstruction.
    Oh, Kentucky! by Betty Layman Receveur (blonderedhead)
    blonderedhead: Strong female heroine in a sweeping, romantic and exciting historical fiction novel. I loved both books...and think others might, too.
    The Legacy by Katherine Webb (tesskrose)
    War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (GCPLreader)
    GCPLreader: melodrama in the midst of war and the invasion (and burning!) of a major city
    The Wind Is Never Gone: Sequels, Parodies and Rewritings of Gone with the Wind by M. Carmen Gomez-galisteo (Prinzipessa, Prinzipessa)
    Prinzipessa: This book explains Gone with the Wind and analyzes its sequels, parodies as well as the fan fiction stories based on Gone With the Wind.
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (StarryNightElf)
    Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy (Lapsus_Linguae)
    Lapsus_Linguae: Both main heroines are strong-willed independent women who take up entrepreneurship.
    A Skeptic's Luck by A.D. Morel (A.D.Morel)
    A.D.Morel: There's this feeling of longing, that she will not quite get there, yet we are passionately rooting for the main character, we go through her travails with her.
    The Winds of Tara: The Saga Lives On by Katherine Pinotti (veracity)
    veracity: 'Winds of Tara' is an unauthorised sequel to 'Gone with the Wind'.
    Heart of the West by Penelope Williamson (theshadowknows)
    theshadowknows: These books share a similar epic, sweeping feel in bringing to life a lost and fading ideal (the American frontier in Heart of the West and the old, genteel south in Gone with the Wind.)
    Katherine by Anya Seton (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Its about having to deal with a very strong, charismatic man. *Sigh*
    My Name is Mary Sutter: A Novel by Robin Oliveira (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Rhett Butler's People by Donald McCaig (mrstreme)
    Scarlett: The Sequel to Margaret Mitchell's "Gone With the Wind" by Alexandra Ripley (Nyxn)
1930s (37)
Elevenses (175)

English (356)  Spanish (4)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All languages (365)
I started this a couple weeks ago and plan to 'work at it' this summer.

This was SO much easier to read than I thought it would be. I thoroughly enjoyed it! ( )
  cubsfan3410 | Sep 1, 2018 |
Three-fourths of this novel is a hilarious social satire that will leave you rolling in your seat. The last one-fourth is a startlingly astute read on human nature and relationships. Gone with the Wind is not a record of the Civil War and its aftermath or of plantations and slavery. Honestly, this novel would be a hundred times more esteemed had its background not been set during such a divisive period of history. ( )
  blueberry28 | Aug 31, 2018 |
A fascinating read with a narrative that has a sweeping effect on you. I have revisited this book many times in bits and parts and have loved it each time. ( )
  ashkrishwrites | Aug 29, 2018 |
Proving to be far more than just melodrama:
Gradually, Scarlett drew courage from the brave faces of her friends and from the merciful adjustment which nature makes when what cannot be cured must be endured.
  CarltonC | Aug 10, 2018 |
Ah, this is another one I started and didn't finish! I got about halfway through, which is a decent chunk, before setting it on the shelf and getting sidetracked with other books that were more interesting at the time. This one, I think, is considered a classic in many ways, and I'd like to finish it at some point.
  justagirlwithabook | Aug 1, 2018 |
An old fashioned, romantic narrative with no Joycean or Proustian nonsense about it, the novel is written in a methodical style which fastidious readers may find wearying. But so carefully does Author Mitchell build up her central character of Scarlett O'Hara, and her picture of the times in which that wild woman struggled, that artistic lapses seem scarcely more consequential than Scarlett's many falls from grace.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jul 6, 1936)

This is beyond a doubt one of the most remarkable first novels produced by an American writer. It is also one of the best.

The historical background is the chief virtue of the book, and it is the story of the times rather than the unconvincing and somewhat absurd plot that gives Miss Mitchell's work whatever importance may be attached to it.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Ralph Thompson (pay site) (Jun 30, 1936)

Mitchell, Margaretprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Auterinen, MaijaliisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beheim-Schwarzbach, MartinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stahl, BenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ein Mensch ist in seinem Leben wie Gras/er blühet wie eine Blume auf dem Felde;/wenn der Wind darüber geht, so ist sie nimmer da,/ und ihre Stätte kennet sie nicht mehr. Psalm 103
To J. R. M.
Scarlett O'Hara was not beautiful, but men seldom realized it when caught by her charm, as the Tarleton twins were.
As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again. (Scarlett)
I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' babies. (Prissy)
After all, tomorrow is another day.
My dear, I don't give a damn.
This LT work is for Margaret Mitchell's original 1936 novel, Gone with the Wind. Please distinguish it both from partial copies of the work (one or another volume from a 2, 3 or 4-volume set) and from the 1939 movie version of the same name. Thank you.

Set in Georgia at the time of the Civil War, this is the story of headstrong Scarlett O'Hara, her three marriages and her determination to keep her father's property of Tara, despite the vicissitudes of war and passion.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 068483068X, Hardcover)

An anniversary edition of Margaret Mitchell's timeless classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:23 -0400)

After the Civil War sweeps away the genteel life to which she has been accustomed, Scarlett O'Hara sets about to salvage her plantation home.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,835,680 books! | Top bar: Always visible