Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Gone With the Wind (original 1936; edition 1936)

by Margaret Mitchell

Member:BannedBooksLibrary
Title:Gone With the Wind
Authors:Margaret Mitchell
Info:Scribner (1936), Hardcover, 1048 pages
Tags:Country: USA, Reason: Moral, Source: ALA, Category: Fiction

Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell (1936)

The Wind Done Gone: A Novel by Alice Randall (lquilter, petersonvl)
    lquilter: This work was rewritten to tell the other side of Gone With the Wind, the story that Mitchell elided with her romanticized view of racism and slavery and its "happier when they were slaves" survivors. The Mitchell estate chose to sue for copyright infringement, but lost because the court recognized that this work is an important critical commentary on Gone with the Wind, and the beliefs that animated the original.… (more)
    Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: They are both scandalous women. It’s a love hate relationship.
    Jubilee by Margaret Walker (lquilter)
    lquilter: Jubilee is the true story of the author's great grandmother, a woman born to slavery as the daughter of a slave and a white slave-owner. She acted as servant to her white sister, and was a witness to antebellum life, the Civil War, and Reconstruction.
    Oh, Kentucky! by Betty Layman Receveur (blonderedhead)
    blonderedhead: Strong female heroine in a sweeping, romantic and exciting historical fiction novel. I loved both books...and think others might, too.
    War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (GCPLreader)
    GCPLreader: melodrama in the midst of war and the invasion (and burning!) of a major city
    The Wind Is Never Gone: Sequels, Parodies and Rewritings of Gone with the Wind by M. Carmen Gomez-galisteo (Prinzipessa, Prinzipessa)
    Prinzipessa: This book explains Gone with the Wind and analyzes its sequels, parodies as well as the fan fiction stories based on Gone With the Wind.
    The Legacy by Katherine Webb (tesskrose)
    A Skeptic's Luck by A.D. Morel (A.D.Morel)
    A.D.Morel: There's this feeling of longing, that she will not quite get there, yet we are passionately rooting for the main character, we go through her travails with her.
    The Winds of Tara: The Saga Lives On by Katherine Pinotti (veracity)
    veracity: 'Winds of Tara' is an unauthorised sequel to 'Gone with the Wind'.
    Heart of the West by Penelope Williamson (theshadowknows)
    theshadowknows: These books share a similar epic, sweeping feel in bringing to life a lost and fading ideal (the American frontier in Heart of the West and the old, genteel south in Gone with the Wind.)
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (StarryNightElf)
    My Name is Mary Sutter by Robin Oliveira (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Katherine by Anya Seton (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Its about having to deal with a very strong, charismatic man. *Sigh*
    Rhett Butler's People by Donald McCaig (mrstreme)
    Scarlett: The Sequel to Margaret Mitchell's "Gone With the Wind" by Alexandra Ripley (Nyxn)
1930s (38)
Elevenses (173)

English (336)  Spanish (4)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All (345)
As usual, a better story than the movie.

I read when I first moved to Charleston because it seemed appropriate at the time. Part of what made it fun for me was knowing some of the geography.

I'm glad I read it but it isn't one I'll go back to. In spite of the topic ans setting, it wasn't quite a bodice ripper (or burning plantation novel, as my husband calls them), but close enough that one rad is enough for me.

Kitty.Cunningham | Jul 19, 2017 |
This was my second reading of the novel after several decades. Its rereading was inspired by a quick trip to Charleston. When I first read the book in my teens, I remember being swept away by the romance and drama and the sheer energy of Scarlett. It was basically the story that captivated me and the historical backdrop was secondary. While all of the romance remained in this reading, I was also very much more tuned to the reality of the Old South and the violence of its destruction, and even more so, to the lives and hardships of the slaves. I am aware now that Mitchell's vision of the times is considered very distorted and her treatment of the Negroes is patronizing at best. Despite this, the story and the quality of the writing are remarkable. Scarlett and her story feel incredibly real. ( )
  rosiezbanks | Apr 30, 2017 |
This was such a great book! It gave me a true picture of the South during that time period. I am so glad it has not be censored as I believe it is very important for future generations to be able to get a true feel of how the south looked upon slavery and the freedom of slaves. It explains so much to me the hatred of the North by the South (I'm a Northerner). ( )
  andsoitgoes | Apr 25, 2017 |
This review and others posted over at my blog.

I seriously have no idea where to even begin with this review. This book gave me so many feels and had so many surprising events that it was a total emotional rollercoaster. I have watched the film, but it was back when I was in grade school so all I recall is Gable’s “don’t give a damn” line and Scarlett’s curtain dress. What I really remember is the hilarious Carol Burnett ‘Went With The Wind’ sketch. I do plan to watch the movie sometime soon though.

After two months of reading (not daily though) and owning three different editions, I feel like I need another two months to process my thoughts. GWTW has to be the most epic book I’ve ever read or at least tied with the ASOIAF series, and not only was it physically heavy, but emotionally heavy as well. Woof!

Short and sweet: I absolutely loved it. 5/5 stars. There were a few bits that bored me, like the details of the battles (in this, I’m like Scarlett) and some of the family history. But Scarlett and Rhett are fabulously flawed characters and I wanted to kick the shit out of both of them and also desperately hoped they both got everything they ever wanted. The subject matter of the book is not always easy to read and it’s undeniably racist – but I like to think that Mitchell was not so much intentionally being racist as she was portraying some ideas that might have been felt by many southerners during the Civil War. It’s a tricky subject though and of course, I don’t pretend to know her motives, nor do I want to get into a debate about them. Regardless, the book is packed full of emotion and passion and, excluding the way the slaves were portrayed and treated, I think it’s fabulously written. I’m glad some of the lovely ladies I follow on Instagram did a read-along so I was finally motivated to read this.

If you're looking for the long version, you can find that (and more pictures) on here. ( )
  MillieHennessy | Apr 24, 2017 |
This was a holiday re-read, I escaped from feeling cold, miserable and ill into a book where people go off to war and are much colder, miserabler and iller, which did at least give me a sense of perspective.

It's set in the south of America, and the black characters are all depressingly lazy / stupid / insert unhelpful racist characature here, and I won't defend that.

But given that, the story! The fall from the sun dappled Edan of youth through the horrors of war. Scarlett, so spoiled and naive, but so full of grit and bravery, and her unknowing love. You hate her and love her all at once, and as the book takes her through tragedy after tragedy it breaks your heart... ( )
  atreic | Apr 24, 2017 |
An old fashioned, romantic narrative with no Joycean or Proustian nonsense about it, the novel is written in a methodical style which fastidious readers may find wearying. But so carefully does Author Mitchell build up her central character of Scarlett O'Hara, and her picture of the times in which that wild woman struggled, that artistic lapses seem scarcely more consequential than Scarlett's many falls from grace.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jul 6, 1936)

This is beyond a doubt one of the most remarkable first novels produced by an American writer. It is also one of the best.

The historical background is the chief virtue of the book, and it is the story of the times rather than the unconvincing and somewhat absurd plot that gives Miss Mitchell's work whatever importance may be attached to it.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Ralph Thompson (pay site) (Jun 30, 1936)

Mitchell, Margaretprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Auterinen, MaijaliisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beheim-Schwarzbach, MartinÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stahl, BenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ein Mensch ist in seinem Leben wie Gras/er blühet wie eine Blume auf dem Felde;/wenn der Wind darüber geht, so ist sie nimmer da,/ und ihre Stätte kennet sie nicht mehr. Psalm 103
To J. R. M.
Scarlett O'Hara was not beautiful, but men seldom realized it when caught by her charm, as the Tarleton twins were.
As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again. (Scarlett)
I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' babies. (Prissy)
After all, tomorrow is another day.
My dear, I don't give a damn.
This LT work is for Margaret Mitchell's original 1936 novel, Gone with the Wind. Please distinguish it both from partial copies of the work (one or another volume from a 2, 3 or 4-volume set) and from the 1939 movie version of the same name. Thank you.

Set in Georgia at the time of the Civil War, this is the story of headstrong Scarlett O'Hara, her three marriages and her determination to keep her father's property of Tara, despite the vicissitudes of war and passion.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 068483068X, Hardcover)

An anniversary edition of Margaret Mitchell's timeless classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:23 -0400)

An epic story of the South's fight to maintain its way of life during the Civil War years. Scarlett O'Hara and her family are amongst the ladies and gentlemen at the Twelve Oaks Plantation's ball before the Civil War begins. Scarlett's love for one man keeps her from seeing the love that another man truly has for her. As the South finally crumbles around her, Scarlett devises a way to overcome starvation in order to save herself and her family.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,184,602 books! | Top bar: Always visible