Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Gone with the Wind (original 1936; edition 2007)

by Margaret Mitchell, Pat Conroy (Preface)

Member:thatguyzero
Title:Gone with the Wind
Authors:Margaret Mitchell
Other authors:Pat Conroy (Preface)
Info:Scribner (2007), Edition: 1st Scribner Trade Pbk. Ed, Paperback, 960 pages
Rating:**
Tags:Pulitzer Prize, 20th Century

Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell (1936)

Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: They are both scandalous women. It’s a love hate relationship.
    The Wind Done Gone: A Novel by Alice Randall (lquilter, petersonvl)
    lquilter: This work was rewritten to tell the other side of Gone With the Wind, the story that Mitchell elided with her romanticized view of racism and slavery and its "happier when they were slaves" survivors. The Mitchell estate chose to sue for copyright infringement, but lost because the court recognized that this work is an important critical commentary on Gone with the Wind, and the beliefs that animated the original.… (more)
    Oh, Kentucky! by Betty Layman Receveur (blonderedhead)
    blonderedhead: Strong female heroine in a sweeping, romantic and exciting historical fiction novel. I loved both books...and think others might, too.
    Jubilee by Margaret Walker (lquilter)
    lquilter: Jubilee is the true story of the author's great grandmother, a woman born to slavery as the daughter of a slave and a white slave-owner. She acted as servant to her white sister, and was a witness to antebellum life, the Civil War, and Reconstruction.
    The Legacy by Katherine Webb (tesskrose)
    War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (GCPLreader)
    GCPLreader: melodrama in the midst of war and the invasion (and burning!) of a major city
    The Wind Is Never Gone: Sequels, Parodies and Rewritings of Gone with the Wind by M. Carmen Gomez-galisteo (Prinzipessa, Prinzipessa)
    Prinzipessa: This book explains Gone with the Wind and analyzes its sequels, parodies as well as the fan fiction stories based on Gone With the Wind.
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (StarryNightElf)
    A Skeptic's Luck by A.D. Morel (A.D.Morel)
    A.D.Morel: There's this feeling of longing, that she will not quite get there, yet we are passionately rooting for the main character, we go through her travails with her.
    The Winds of Tara: The Saga Lives On by Katherine Pinotti (veracity)
    veracity: 'Winds of Tara' is an unauthorised sequel to 'Gone with the Wind'.
    Heart of the West by Penelope Williamson (theshadowknows)
    theshadowknows: These books share a similar epic, sweeping feel in bringing to life a lost and fading ideal (the American frontier in Heart of the West and the old, genteel south in Gone with the Wind.)
    My Name is Mary Sutter by Robin Oliveira (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Katherine by Anya Seton (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Its about having to deal with a very strong, charismatic man. *Sigh*
    Rhett Butler's People by Donald McCaig (mrstreme)
    Scarlett: The Sequel to Margaret Mitchell's Gone with the Wind by Alexandra Ripley (Nyxn)
1930s (53)

English (294)  Spanish (3)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (301)
The annual airing of [Gone with the Wind] was a big event in our home with my older sisters glued to the television for two nights, aflutter with every smirk and every eyebrow twitch from Clark Gable. I tried to be somewhere else when the opening credits rolled – I still have a vivid memory of an brilliant fire-orange sky silhouetting a large barren tree and an extremely grave orchestral production playing in the background that gives me an urge to run. My sisters on an old, uncomfortable couch – it was orange, as well, now that I think of it – were the ones really glued to the screen. My mother always had something else to do, sewing in her lap or shelling pecans into a bowl. And, like me, this was one of those rare times when my father disappeared from his ‘easy chair,’, though I’m not sure where he went or what he did for those two nights.

Scampering through the living room and into the kitchen for a snack – always upsetting the girls who were worried that I might obscure Rhett’s striking profile for two seconds as I ran in front of the television – I captured a few other long lasting perceptions. Women resembled the tiny figurines from grandma’s house, dangerously swollen hoop skirts around cinched-in waists and garish, oversized hats framing china doll skin. The men were as preposterously dressed, at least through a young boy’s eyes, peacocking in bright, shiny suits; they acted funny, too, these strange men, always flitting around the women, one minute grabbing them up in violent embraces and then shoving them away or ignoring them altogether. And the black people spoke a foreign language, as far as I could tell.

Over the years, I always associated [Gone with the Wind] with my sisters. It never occurred to me that my mother was really paying attention, that she followed the story or that it had any impact on her. I found out I was wrong as I read the book for the first time and found Scarlett declaring, “I’ll think about that tomorrow. Tomorrow’s another day.” Countless times mom used those words to soothe me through some adolescent fit. She’d smile at me, fix me with her black, Irish eyes, and say, “Don’t worry, honey. Just remember, tomorrow’s another day.” So, every time I read Scarlett’s mantra in the book, I saw my mother’s face again, felt her calloused, work-worn hands around mine.

Of course, my mother identified with [Gone with the Wind], though I can’t say whether it was the book or the movie that captured her. But it wasn’t that handsome rogue Rhett Butler that drew her in – it was Scarlett. After all, mom was a West Texas rancher’s daughter. She was strong-willed and wild – my grandmother recalled spanking her nearly every morning before she walked down the dirt road to school. After one whipping, she told Gra’am, “When I grow up, I’m going to have baby girl and I’m going to name her ‘mother’ and I’m going to whip her every day.” I can see Scarlett’s defiance in my mother’s steely gaze, feel the same independent grit radiating off them both. But it wasn’t the pre-Civil war Scarlett she saw herself in, not the spoiled child in frills – it was the reconstruction Scarlett, chapped hands and sun-burnt from picking cotton in a near barren field. When Scarlett swears never to be hungry again, my mother’s recycling of useless things and keeping of food long past its freshness made sense to me, because mom was also a depression child. She and her siblings wore cardboard soled shoes, handing them down through five children regardless the size or number of worn through holes. They drank goat’s milk and ate beans and scraped at the dirt for whatever would grow. “Tomorrow is another day,” allowed Scarlett, and my mother, to forget about the day’s hunger and pain by focusing on the next day’s hope, even if it was a dim and vague hope.

Like Scarlett and my mother, Mitchell was a rare breed, penning a book about the Civil War and setting it around a female heroine. The book is as deeply researched and detailed as any other on the war between the states, offering a rich history of the shifting momentums in the war with each battle and a skilled commentary, through Rhett and Ashley’s eyes, on the seeds of the South’s ultimate destruction. Yet the book’s focus never wavers from those who were left behind when the bullets began to fly. We don’t see the battles through the soldier’s eyes, we learn about them as families did, through gossip and word of mouth. We don’t lie on the battlefields with the wounded and dying, we wait on the street outside the newspaper office with the whole of Atlanta for the dead’s names to be published. We don’t march with the hungry, exhausted soldiers, we hide in the house with the women and children, afraid and paranoid as the invading Yankees ride the roads. Woven through it all is Mitchell’s view on life as a Southern woman, relegated to be an object of beauty and desire but required by circumstances to be the independent, powerful nucleus that could sustain a family’s survival. I suspect my mother saw herself, and her own mother, in that incongruity, and reveled in the power that making your place in the world brings.

Bottom Line: Not just your mother’s bodice ripper – there’s untold depths to this classic.

5 bones!!!!!
A favorite for the year. ( )
11 vote blackdogbooks | Jul 25, 2015 |
This was the first novel where I worried about the relationship between the author and the protagonist. It seems like the author had a love/hate relationship with the protagonist. The author kept pummeling the protagonist with troubles and disappointments. The protagonist manages to survive but in the end is still slave to her misplaced desires. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
I was between 1/2 to 5/8 through the novel, and I reread the first few words of the book: "Scarlett O'Hara was not beautiful." I think the line could have been "Gone with the Wind was not beautiful." I started reading this book a week or so before an idiot, a confederate flag flying fool, killed several people in a Charleston North Carolina church. Before that event, the book made me uncomfortable with the racist views. After the event, the material had bigger impact, making me roll my eyes in snotty superiority. That didn't make me feel good, and made this an uncomfortable book for me to read. ( )
1 vote mainrun | Jul 5, 2015 |
IMHO, it says something sad about the make-up of LibraryThing's user group that this badly written, caricaturish, racist apologetic is in the top 150 in overall popularity. Anyone who loves literature as "the eternal affirmation of the spirit of man [sic]" should despair along with me. ( )
1 vote CSRodgers | May 27, 2015 |
An old fashioned, romantic narrative with no Joycean or Proustian nonsense about it, the novel is written in a methodical style which fastidious readers may find wearying. But so carefully does Author Mitchell build up her central character of Scarlett O'Hara, and her picture of the times in which that wild woman struggled, that artistic lapses seem scarcely more consequential than Scarlett's many falls from grace.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jul 6, 1936)

This is beyond a doubt one of the most remarkable first novels produced by an American writer. It is also one of the best.

The historical background is the chief virtue of the book, and it is the story of the times rather than the unconvincing and somewhat absurd plot that gives Miss Mitchell's work whatever importance may be attached to it.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Ralph Thompson (pay site) (Jun 30, 1936)

Mitchell, Margaretprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Auterinen, MaijaliisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To J. R. M.
Scarlett O'Hara was not beautiful, but men seldom realized it when caught by her charm, as the Tarleton twins were.
As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again. (Scarlett)
I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' babies. (Prissy)
After all, tomorrow is another day.
My dear, I don't give a damn.
This LT work is for Margaret Mitchell's original 1936 novel, Gone with the Wind. Please distinguish it both from partial copies of the work (one or another volume from a 2, 3 or 4-volume set) and from the 1939 movie version of the same name. Thank you.

Set in Georgia at the time of the Civil War, this is the story of headstrong Scarlett O'Hara, her three marriages and her determination to keep her father's property of Tara, despite the vicissitudes of war and passion.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 068483068X, Hardcover)

An anniversary edition of Margaret Mitchell's timeless classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:23 -0400)

An epic story of the South's fight to maintain its way of life during the Civil War years. Scarlett O'Hara and her family are amongst the ladies and gentlemen at the Twelve Oaks Plantation's ball before the Civil War begins. Scarlett's love for one man keeps her from seeing the love that another man truly has for her. As the South finally crumbles around her, Scarlett devises a way to overcome starvation in order to save herself and her family.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,072,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible