Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Gone with the Wind (original 1936; edition 2007)

by Margaret Mitchell, Pat Conroy (Preface)

Member:thatguyzero
Title:Gone with the Wind
Authors:Margaret Mitchell
Other authors:Pat Conroy (Preface)
Info:Scribner (2007), Edition: 1st Scribner Trade Pbk. Ed, Paperback, 960 pages
Rating:**
Tags:Pulitzer Prize, 20th Century

Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell (1936)

The Wind Done Gone: A Novel by Alice Randall (lquilter, petersonvl)
    lquilter: This work was rewritten to tell the other side of Gone With the Wind, the story that Mitchell elided with her romanticized view of racism and slavery and its "happier when they were slaves" survivors. The Mitchell estate chose to sue for copyright infringement, but lost because the court recognized that this work is an important critical commentary on Gone with the Wind, and the beliefs that animated the original.… (more)
    Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: They are both scandalous women. It’s a love hate relationship.
    Jubilee by Margaret Walker (lquilter)
    lquilter: Jubilee is the true story of the author's great grandmother, a woman born to slavery as the daughter of a slave and a white slave-owner. She acted as servant to her white sister, and was a witness to antebellum life, the Civil War, and Reconstruction.
    Oh, Kentucky! by Betty Layman Receveur (blonderedhead)
    blonderedhead: Strong female heroine in a sweeping, romantic and exciting historical fiction novel. I loved both books...and think others might, too.
    War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (GCPLreader)
    GCPLreader: melodrama in the midst of war and the invasion (and burning!) of a major city
    The Wind Is Never Gone: Sequels, Parodies and Rewritings of Gone with the Wind by M. Carmen Gomez-galisteo (Prinzipessa, Prinzipessa)
    Prinzipessa: This book explains Gone with the Wind and analyzes its sequels, parodies as well as the fan fiction stories based on Gone With the Wind.
    The Legacy by Katherine Webb (tesskrose)
    A Skeptic's Luck by A.D. Morel (A.D.Morel)
    A.D.Morel: There's this feeling of longing, that she will not quite get there, yet we are passionately rooting for the main character, we go through her travails with her.
    The Winds of Tara: The Saga Lives On by Katherine Pinotti (veracity)
    veracity: 'Winds of Tara' is an unauthorised sequel to 'Gone with the Wind'.
    Heart of the West by Penelope Williamson (theshadowknows)
    theshadowknows: These books share a similar epic, sweeping feel in bringing to life a lost and fading ideal (the American frontier in Heart of the West and the old, genteel south in Gone with the Wind.)
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (StarryNightElf)
    My Name is Mary Sutter by Robin Oliveira (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Katherine by Anya Seton (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Its about having to deal with a very strong, charismatic man. *Sigh*
    Rhett Butler's People by Donald McCaig (mrstreme)
    Scarlett: The Sequel to Margaret Mitchell's Gone with the Wind by Alexandra Ripley (Nyxn)
1930s (54)
Elevenses (151)

English (333)  Spanish (4)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  English (342)
This book remains safely protected under the cover of a Pulitzer Prize, otherwise its raving racism would have been denounced. Anyone nowadays who dared to write a book referring to blacks as Mrs. Mitchell did, would be torn to shreds. Throughout the book Scarlet laments that her "too dear a homeland" was being "turned over to ignorant Negroes drunk with whisky and freedom." Scarlet feels toward Blacks the same way I believe modern Democrats seem to feel: Blacks are minors who can’t possibly survive without help from Whites! I hoped she would change her mindset and see the light; but Mitchell never takes the time to enlighten her character: Scarlet goes on with the same condescending attitude. The Klan was not a racist endeavor, but was created out of the concern of the good Southern whites, to deal with "insolent negroes" who were turning fond eyes on white women; paradoxically, these are the same negroes are also described as trusted, faithful, and loyal... The Yankees are just plain mean, because they wanted to give blacks the vote and believed interracial marriage should be legal. History tells us of slaves been snatched through the North from the Southern plantations and sent to Canada by these same evil Yankees. Where I live (near Lake Erie) you can still visit the houses that served as safe havens for slaves running away from their owners in the South—the "Underground Railroad"; I'm sure these fugitive slaves just misunderstood the good intentions of their owners down in the South, right? If Mitchell wanted to impart the view that Whites and Blacks are equal—which was supposedly the one she espoused—she had ample opportunity--all missed and she failed monstrously! Her book gets readings at the Margaret Mitchell's Museum in Atlanta, but I am sure only very well selected parts are read out loud. If published today, this book would have caused riots bigger than the LA ones. (It is interesting to note that President Lincoln (a White man) justified his fight against enslaving other human beings on religious grounds.) ( )
  MrsRK | Nov 21, 2016 |
Re-read. I was struck by the amount of political detail, which I must have glossed over when I read it as a teenager. Scarlett really deserves all she gets from Rhett, she toys with his affections over and over again in such a cruel manner. Why she is so devoted to that ninny Ashley I can never understand. ( )
1 vote mlfhlibrarian | Nov 7, 2016 |
Review to come. After I finish this quick "I'm done" dance. ( )
  lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |
GONE WITH THE WIND
by
Margaret Mitchell

Gone with the Wind is Margaret Mitchell's historical novel that follows the life of Scarlet O'Hara, a Southern Belle, during the American Civil War and the resulting period of reconstruction. It took Mitchell 9 drafts of the 1000+ page manuscript and 10 years to complete, finally being published in 1936. It was an immediate success, winning the Pulitzer Prize in 1937 and vaulting Mitchell into the national spotlight. Mitchell did not deal well with her fame and never published another novel, writing only non-fiction thereafter. However, I am grateful for the gift she has left us, as I feel it is one of the best books I have ever read.

The novel is not about slavery, the Civil War, or the reconstruction that followed. It is about Scarlet O'Hara, daughter of a determined and hard-headed Irish father and a refined Southern mother while the aforementioned events unfold around her. She is introduced to us as a spoiled, narcissistic 17 year old living at Tara, a cotton plantation in Georgia, at the outset of the Civil War. Scarlet spends her time seeing how many beaus she can attract, and with her great beauty she has little difficulty in attracting nearly every eligible bachelor in the county. Once she has them under her spell, she can toy with their emotions at her leisure, a trait that will ultimately lead to her downfall. It is Ashley Wilkes, blonde-haired golden boy from nearby Twelve Oaks plantation, that Scarlet has set her sights on, and it is this infatuation that will guide her actions throughout the remainder of the novel.

I suppose this could be considered a love story, although it is unlike any love story I have ever read (not that I've read a lot.) Scarlet marries three times and none are for love. I imagine that was pretty common during the time frame of the novel, where arranged marriages were still accepted practices. Her first marriage was done to make Ashley jealous and the last two were for financial stability. Still, love is a theme that continues throughout, although it seems that none of the main characters have that love returned at an optimal time.

Scarlet was hard to like at the beginning of the novel, so wrapped up in herself and uncaring of others feelings. She seemed incapable of understanding the motivations and feelings of others, or even herself at times. I had hopes that she would grow out of this as she matured, and in fact I did see signs as she cared for family and friends during the worst of times during the war and its aftermath. Scarlet did gain a sense of responsibility, and she didn't necessarily like it, complaining about it and wishing she didn't have it. In her core, she only cared about herself and any acts of kindness she showed were mere mirages that also benefited her. In the end, she reverted back to the girl we met at the beginning of the novel, sure that her beauty was all that mattered.

I thought this was a fantastic read and gave an accurate snapshot into the time period depicted. It wasn't always pretty or politically correct in its portrayals of life during the war, but no matter how much we would like to, we cannot change what really happened back then. But I hope readers will not judge the book on what is perceived as racist activity. If we forget the past, then we are destined to repeat the mistakes of our society. And for all the heartbreak endured, the ending offered a glimmer of hope as Scarlet looks to Tara and the loving arms of Mammy. A solid 5 stars for me. This story will stay with me for quite some time. ( )
  NPJacobsen | Aug 30, 2016 |
One of my top ten books of all time. ( )
  Laura_Drake | Aug 19, 2016 |
An old fashioned, romantic narrative with no Joycean or Proustian nonsense about it, the novel is written in a methodical style which fastidious readers may find wearying. But so carefully does Author Mitchell build up her central character of Scarlett O'Hara, and her picture of the times in which that wild woman struggled, that artistic lapses seem scarcely more consequential than Scarlett's many falls from grace.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jul 6, 1936)

This is beyond a doubt one of the most remarkable first novels produced by an American writer. It is also one of the best.

The historical background is the chief virtue of the book, and it is the story of the times rather than the unconvincing and somewhat absurd plot that gives Miss Mitchell's work whatever importance may be attached to it.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Ralph Thompson (pay site) (Jun 30, 1936)

Mitchell, Margaretprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Auterinen, MaijaliisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beheim-Schwarzbach, MartinÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stahl, BenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ein Mensch ist in seinem Leben wie Gras/er blühet wie eine Blume auf dem Felde;/wenn der Wind darüber geht, so ist sie nimmer da,/ und ihre Stätte kennet sie nicht mehr. Psalm 103
To J. R. M.
Scarlett O'Hara was not beautiful, but men seldom realized it when caught by her charm, as the Tarleton twins were.
As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again. (Scarlett)
I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' babies. (Prissy)
After all, tomorrow is another day.
My dear, I don't give a damn.
This LT work is for Margaret Mitchell's original 1936 novel, Gone with the Wind. Please distinguish it both from partial copies of the work (one or another volume from a 2, 3 or 4-volume set) and from the 1939 movie version of the same name. Thank you.

Set in Georgia at the time of the Civil War, this is the story of headstrong Scarlett O'Hara, her three marriages and her determination to keep her father's property of Tara, despite the vicissitudes of war and passion.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 068483068X, Hardcover)

An anniversary edition of Margaret Mitchell's timeless classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:23 -0400)

An epic story of the South's fight to maintain its way of life during the Civil War years. Scarlett O'Hara and her family are amongst the ladies and gentlemen at the Twelve Oaks Plantation's ball before the Civil War begins. Scarlett's love for one man keeps her from seeing the love that another man truly has for her. As the South finally crumbles around her, Scarlett devises a way to overcome starvation in order to save herself and her family.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,723,586 books! | Top bar: Always visible