Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Gone with the Wind (original 1936; edition 2007)

by Margaret Mitchell, Pat Conroy (Preface)

Member:thatguyzero
Title:Gone with the Wind
Authors:Margaret Mitchell
Other authors:Pat Conroy (Preface)
Info:Scribner (2007), Edition: 1st Scribner Trade Pbk. Ed, Paperback, 960 pages
Rating:**
Tags:Pulitzer Prize, 20th Century

Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell (1936)

Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: They are both scandalous women. It’s a love hate relationship.
    The Wind Done Gone: A Novel by Alice Randall (lquilter, petersonvl)
    lquilter: This work was rewritten to tell the other side of Gone With the Wind, the story that Mitchell elided with her romanticized view of racism and slavery and its "happier when they were slaves" survivors. The Mitchell estate chose to sue for copyright infringement, but lost because the court recognized that this work is an important critical commentary on Gone with the Wind, and the beliefs that animated the original.… (more)
    Oh, Kentucky! by Betty Layman Receveur (blonderedhead)
    blonderedhead: Strong female heroine in a sweeping, romantic and exciting historical fiction novel. I loved both books...and think others might, too.
    Jubilee by Margaret Walker (lquilter)
    lquilter: Jubilee is the true story of the author's great grandmother, a woman born to slavery as the daughter of a slave and a white slave-owner. She acted as servant to her white sister, and was a witness to antebellum life, the Civil War, and Reconstruction.
    The Legacy by Katherine Webb (tesskrose)
    War and Peace by Léon Tolstoï (GCPLreader)
    GCPLreader: melodrama in the midst of war and the invasion (and burning!) of a major city
    The Wind Is Never Gone: Sequels, Parodies and Rewritings of Gone with the Wind by M. Carmen Gomez-galisteo (Prinzipessa, Prinzipessa)
    Prinzipessa: This book explains Gone with the Wind and analyzes its sequels, parodies as well as the fan fiction stories based on Gone With the Wind.
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (StarryNightElf)
    A Skeptic's Luck by A.D. Morel (A.D.Morel)
    A.D.Morel: There's this feeling of longing, that she will not quite get there, yet we are passionately rooting for the main character, we go through her travails with her.
    The Winds of Tara: The Saga Lives On by Katherine Pinotti (veracity)
    veracity: 'Winds of Tara' is an unauthorised sequel to 'Gone with the Wind'.
    Heart of the West by Penelope Williamson (theshadowknows)
    theshadowknows: These books share a similar epic, sweeping feel in bringing to life a lost and fading ideal (the American frontier in Heart of the West and the old, genteel south in Gone with the Wind.)
    My Name is Mary Sutter by Robin Oliveira (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Katherine by Anya Seton (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Its about having to deal with a very strong, charismatic man. *Sigh*
    Rhett Butler's People by Donald McCaig (mrstreme)
    Scarlett: The Sequel to Margaret Mitchell's Gone with the Wind by Alexandra Ripley (Nyxn)
1930s (53)
Unread books (1,000)

English (291)  Spanish (3)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (298)
Romance novel written by Margaret Mitchell, who received the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction for the book in 1937. The story is set in Clayton County, Georgia and Atlanta during the American Civil War and Reconstruction, and depicts the experiences of Scarlett O'Hara, the spoiled daughter of a well-to-do plantation owner, who must use every means at her disposal to come out of the poverty she finds herself in after Sherman's March to the Sea. ( )
  kewlgeek | Jun 30, 2015 |
IMHO, it says something sad about the make-up of LibraryThing's user group that this badly written, caricaturish, racist apologetic is in the top 150 in overall popularity. Anyone who loves literature as "the eternal affirmation of the spirit of man [sic]" should despair along with me. ( )
  CSRodgers | May 27, 2015 |
Gone with the Wind is an extraordinarily difficult book to enjoy. My ability to extend sympathy across historical contexts can stretch only so far, I've learned, and as every narrative or character element in GwtW (really, almost to a one) is motivated by the South's reliance on and normalization of human slavery, I hit a pretty serious wall. Also, Mitchell's prose is... not great.
I picked up this book expecting a delicious, swoony romance with high-literary aspirations, but what I got was a meandering, repetitive slog peppered with only very occasional moments of pleasure. Plus lots of n-words.

I won't say that the book is outright bad, but for me it was six weeks of labor without the payoff of a work that's either more serious or more silly and gooey. Please do read it, but temper your expectations. Or, better yet, read an abridgment. ( )
1 vote everymanmeets | Apr 14, 2015 |
Just finished this wonderful book, about 48 hrs via Audible. First of all, it's the BEST audio book I've ever listened to. Second, it's in my top five favorite books of all time. I read it 45 years ago and it was even better now. And although the movie is wonderful, it doesn't compare to the book. The movie left out a bunch of stuff. Yes, the book (or characters in it) made racist remarks and used the "n" word a lt, but it was reflective of the time. I have the book Scarlett, so I guess at some point I'll read it, too. I was just so mad at Scarlett for obsessing over Ashley when he wasn't the one for her and she couldn't see it, and also for all the non-communication between her an Rhett and their meanness to each other. They needed marriage counseling! The one thing that annoyed me was how often Scarlett said she couldn't think about something today; that she would think about it tomorrow. That got old. But I loved this book so much and highly recommend it, especially if you've only seen the movie, or it's been years since you read it. And get the audio version narrated by Linda Stephens!! ( )
  sandra.k.heinzman | Apr 2, 2015 |
  sandra.k.heinzman | Apr 2, 2015 |
An old fashioned, romantic narrative with no Joycean or Proustian nonsense about it, the novel is written in a methodical style which fastidious readers may find wearying. But so carefully does Author Mitchell build up her central character of Scarlett O'Hara, and her picture of the times in which that wild woman struggled, that artistic lapses seem scarcely more consequential than Scarlett's many falls from grace.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jul 6, 1936)

This is beyond a doubt one of the most remarkable first novels produced by an American writer. It is also one of the best.

The historical background is the chief virtue of the book, and it is the story of the times rather than the unconvincing and somewhat absurd plot that gives Miss Mitchell's work whatever importance may be attached to it.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Ralph Thompson (pay site) (Jun 30, 1936)

To J. R. M.
Scarlett O'Hara was not beautiful, but men seldom realized it when caught by her charm, as the Tarleton twins were.
As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again. (Scarlett)
I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' babies. (Prissy)
After all, tomorrow is another day.
My dear, I don't give a damn.
This LT work is for Margaret Mitchell's original 1936 novel, Gone with the Wind. Please distinguish it both from partial copies of the work (one or another volume from a 2, 3 or 4-volume set) and from the 1939 movie version of the same name. Thank you.

Set in Georgia at the time of the Civil War, this is the story of headstrong Scarlett O'Hara, her three marriages and her determination to keep her father's property of Tara, despite the vicissitudes of war and passion.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 068483068X, Hardcover)

An anniversary edition of Margaret Mitchell's timeless classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:23 -0400)

An epic story of the South's fight to maintain its way of life during the Civil War years. Scarlett O'Hara and her family are amongst the ladies and gentlemen at the Twelve Oaks Plantation's ball before the Civil War begins. Scarlett's love for one man keeps her from seeing the love that another man truly has for her. As the South finally crumbles around her, Scarlett devises a way to overcome starvation in order to save herself and her family.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,935,799 books! | Top bar: Always visible