Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Gone with the Wind (original 1936; edition 2007)

by Margaret Mitchell, Pat Conroy (Preface)

Member:thatguyzero
Title:Gone with the Wind
Authors:Margaret Mitchell
Other authors:Pat Conroy (Preface)
Info:Scribner (2007), Edition: 1st Scribner Trade Pbk. Ed, Paperback, 960 pages
Rating:**
Tags:Pulitzer Prize, 20th Century

Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell (1936)

The Wind Done Gone: A Novel by Alice Randall (lquilter, petersonvl)
    lquilter: This work was rewritten to tell the other side of Gone With the Wind, the story that Mitchell elided with her romanticized view of racism and slavery and its "happier when they were slaves" survivors. The Mitchell estate chose to sue for copyright infringement, but lost because the court recognized that this work is an important critical commentary on Gone with the Wind, and the beliefs that animated the original.… (more)
    Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: They are both scandalous women. It’s a love hate relationship.
    Jubilee by Margaret Walker (lquilter)
    lquilter: Jubilee is the true story of the author's great grandmother, a woman born to slavery as the daughter of a slave and a white slave-owner. She acted as servant to her white sister, and was a witness to antebellum life, the Civil War, and Reconstruction.
    Oh, Kentucky! by Betty Layman Receveur (blonderedhead)
    blonderedhead: Strong female heroine in a sweeping, romantic and exciting historical fiction novel. I loved both books...and think others might, too.
    War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (GCPLreader)
    GCPLreader: melodrama in the midst of war and the invasion (and burning!) of a major city
    The Wind Is Never Gone: Sequels, Parodies and Rewritings of Gone with the Wind by M. Carmen Gomez-galisteo (Prinzipessa, Prinzipessa)
    Prinzipessa: This book explains Gone with the Wind and analyzes its sequels, parodies as well as the fan fiction stories based on Gone With the Wind.
    The Legacy by Katherine Webb (tesskrose)
    A Skeptic's Luck by A.D. Morel (A.D.Morel)
    A.D.Morel: There's this feeling of longing, that she will not quite get there, yet we are passionately rooting for the main character, we go through her travails with her.
    The Winds of Tara: The Saga Lives On by Katherine Pinotti (veracity)
    veracity: 'Winds of Tara' is an unauthorised sequel to 'Gone with the Wind'.
    Heart of the West by Penelope Williamson (theshadowknows)
    theshadowknows: These books share a similar epic, sweeping feel in bringing to life a lost and fading ideal (the American frontier in Heart of the West and the old, genteel south in Gone with the Wind.)
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (StarryNightElf)
    My Name is Mary Sutter by Robin Oliveira (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Katherine by Anya Seton (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Its about having to deal with a very strong, charismatic man. *Sigh*
    Rhett Butler's People by Donald McCaig (mrstreme)
    Scarlett: The Sequel to Margaret Mitchell's Gone with the Wind by Alexandra Ripley (Nyxn)
1930s (54)

English (331)  Spanish (4)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All languages (340)
Review to come. After I finish this quick "I'm done" dance. ( )
  lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |
GONE WITH THE WIND
by
Margaret Mitchell

Gone with the Wind is Margaret Mitchell's historical novel that follows the life of Scarlet O'Hara, a Southern Belle, during the American Civil War and the resulting period of reconstruction. It took Mitchell 9 drafts of the 1000+ page manuscript and 10 years to complete, finally being published in 1936. It was an immediate success, winning the Pulitzer Prize in 1937 and vaulting Mitchell into the national spotlight. Mitchell did not deal well with her fame and never published another novel, writing only non-fiction thereafter. However, I am grateful for the gift she has left us, as I feel it is one of the best books I have ever read.

The novel is not about slavery, the Civil War, or the reconstruction that followed. It is about Scarlet O'Hara, daughter of a determined and hard-headed Irish father and a refined Southern mother while the aforementioned events unfold around her. She is introduced to us as a spoiled, narcissistic 17 year old living at Tara, a cotton plantation in Georgia, at the outset of the Civil War. Scarlet spends her time seeing how many beaus she can attract, and with her great beauty she has little difficulty in attracting nearly every eligible bachelor in the county. Once she has them under her spell, she can toy with their emotions at her leisure, a trait that will ultimately lead to her downfall. It is Ashley Wilkes, blonde-haired golden boy from nearby Twelve Oaks plantation, that Scarlet has set her sights on, and it is this infatuation that will guide her actions throughout the remainder of the novel.

I suppose this could be considered a love story, although it is unlike any love story I have ever read (not that I've read a lot.) Scarlet marries three times and none are for love. I imagine that was pretty common during the time frame of the novel, where arranged marriages were still accepted practices. Her first marriage was done to make Ashley jealous and the last two were for financial stability. Still, love is a theme that continues throughout, although it seems that none of the main characters have that love returned at an optimal time.

Scarlet was hard to like at the beginning of the novel, so wrapped up in herself and uncaring of others feelings. She seemed incapable of understanding the motivations and feelings of others, or even herself at times. I had hopes that she would grow out of this as she matured, and in fact I did see signs as she cared for family and friends during the worst of times during the war and its aftermath. Scarlet did gain a sense of responsibility, and she didn't necessarily like it, complaining about it and wishing she didn't have it. In her core, she only cared about herself and any acts of kindness she showed were mere mirages that also benefited her. In the end, she reverted back to the girl we met at the beginning of the novel, sure that her beauty was all that mattered.

I thought this was a fantastic read and gave an accurate snapshot into the time period depicted. It wasn't always pretty or politically correct in its portrayals of life during the war, but no matter how much we would like to, we cannot change what really happened back then. But I hope readers will not judge the book on what is perceived as racist activity. If we forget the past, then we are destined to repeat the mistakes of our society. And for all the heartbreak endured, the ending offered a glimmer of hope as Scarlet looks to Tara and the loving arms of Mammy. A solid 5 stars for me. This story will stay with me for quite some time. ( )
  NPJacobsen | Aug 30, 2016 |
One of my top ten books of all time. ( )
  Laura_Drake | Aug 19, 2016 |
“Scarlett O'Hara no era bella, pero los hombres no solían darse cuenta de eso hasta que se sentían ya cautivos de su embrujo.”

2016 Reading Challenge #04: A book you haven't read since high-school.

Lo que el viento se llevó: la historia de como el orgullo puede destruir una vida. Una tumultuosa historia de amor capaz de romperle el alma a cualquiera (haciendo horrocruxes: 1,2,3, así de fácil!).

Leí este libro por primera vez cuando tenía 13 años y, como todo lo que se lee a esa edad tan impresionable, me marcó para siempre.

Luego de eso lo releí innumerables veces. Pero solo mis escenas favoritas: la barbacoa en Doce Robles, la rifa, la huida durante la caída de Atlanta, la visita en la cárcel, la petición de matrimonio y todo lo que pasa después de la boda. En definitiva, todos los momentos Rhett-Scarlett y nada más.

Esta es mi primera relectura total y absoluta. Y me di cuenta de cuantas cosas pase por alto hace 12 años atrás: el intenso y fanático patriotismo, la arraigada creencia en el honor, el profundo pero contradictorio racismo...

“¡Que estúpidos eran los negros! Nunca se les ocurría nada. ¡Y pensar que los yanquis querían liberarlos!”

“Los yanquis ignoran que los
negros son como niños, que hay que tratarlos con dulzura, dirigirlos, ser amables con ellos, mimarlos, reñirlos cariñosamente. No los quieren, no tienen confianza en ellos, no los comprenden y, sin embargo, no dejan de gritar a todos los vientos que los sudistas no saben tratarlos.

Scarlett tenía más confianza en los negros que en la mayor parte de los blancos, y desde luego mucho más que en cualquier yanqui. Había en ellos una lealtad, un apego sin límites, un amor que nada podía alterar, que ninguna suma de dinero podía comprar.”

Un racismo romantizado, pero jamás impuesto al lector. La historia no te obliga a entenderlo, ni justificarlo. Solo aceptarlo como un hecho que fue.

Y no es el racismo lo único contradictorio, sino también: la guerra, la moral, el miedo y la soledad. Lo que el viento se llevó, da para un análisis digno de una tesis. Con sus numerosos temas, sus distintos matices y perspectivas, y sus diversos personajes. Tantos personajes que resulta increíble pensar que Miss Mitchell haya sido capaz de darles profundidad a cada uno, pero lo hizo.

Desde la dulce y perfecta madre que esconde un oscuro corazón roto. Pasando por la prostituta bondadosa, el asesino misogino que ama sentirse necesitado, el esposo caballeroso y perfecto que ama a su mujer pero desea a otra, la dulce dama capaz de dar muerte a un hombre sin remordimiento. Hasta cada uno de los vecinos, que se complementan y dan realismo con sus múltiples y antagónicos defectos y valores.

Y, en medio de todo eso, los venenosos, encantadores y orgullosos: Rhett y Scarlett.

“Ambos nos parecemos muchos. Somos, querida, unos renegados y unos pícaros egoístas. A ninguno de ambos nos importa un comino que el mundo se vaya al diablo, siempre que nosotros quedemos salvos y cómodos.”
Capaces de amar y hacer sufrir como nadie.

“El no quiere tu alma, el muy idiota, y yo no quiero tu cuerpo. Puedo comprar los cuerpos de mujeres que quiera, y baratos. Pero quiero tu corazón y tu alma, y nunca los tendré. Lo mismo que tú no tendrás nunca la mente de Ashley. Y por eso es por lo que te compadezco.”
Nunca he leído dos personajes tan despreciables, viles y egoístas capaces de provocar un sentimiento más profundo de admiración y esta necesidad, casi instintiva, de querer protegerlos de ellos mismos hasta (el desgarrador pero necesario y perfecto) final.

Un clásico que nos muestra una ventana a la destrucción de un ideal y el inicio de un nuevo mundo. Que nos envuelve con dudosas morales y aún más dudosos honores, y nos hace querer permanecer allí por siempre. Que está repleta de personajes inolvidables, paisajes mágicos y sueños rotos. Y que tiene la historia de amor más épica que pueda existir.

“Con el espíritu de su raza, que se niega a reconocer la derrota, aún cuando la mire fijamente, cara a cara, Scarlett levanto la cabeza.”

***
Puedes leer la antigua, y repleta de spoilers, reseña original haciendo click aqui:Comencé este libro cuatro veces, sin lograr pasar mas allá de las primeras páginas. Las conversaciones de la guerra me aburrían mortalmente, pero no había más libros en casa así que me decidí a hacer el esfuerzo. No me arrepiento. Una vez llegue a la escena de la barbacoa en Doce Robles, no pude parar.

¿Como no amar una historia así?:

Scarlett: Soy la más bella. Todos los hombres del condado me aman. Todos menos Ashley, y yo amo es a Ashley.

Ashley: Si te amo.

Scarlett: Casémonos entonces.

Ashley: No puedo, debo casarme con mi prima Melanie. No la amo pero en mi familia siempre nos casamos entre primos. Tenemos una reputación de aspecto enfermo que defender.

Scarlett: Te odio Ashley Wilkes. Largate.

Rhett: Hola. Escuche todo. Te estoy imaginando desnuda. Nunca me casaría contigo pero ¿quieres ser mi amante?

Scarlett: Te odio Rhett Butler. Largate.

Scarlett se casa con Charles.

Comienza la guerra.

Charles muere.

Scarlett pasa hambre.

Scarlett: Juro que nunca más volveré a pasar hambre. Le robaré el novio millonario a mi hermana y me casaré yo con el.

Scarlett se casa con Frank.

Frank muere.

Scarlett: Ashley te amo. Abandona a Melanie. Huyamos.

Ashley: También te amo. Nunca podré abandonar a Melanie, soy un cobarde.

Scarlett: Odio a Melanie.

Rhett: Scarlett casate conmigo.

Scarlett: Rhett yo te odio.

Rhett: También te odio, solo deseo tu cuerpo. Ademas recuerda que soy millonario.

Scarlett: Ok, con eso me convenciste. Me casaré contigo sólo por tu dinero y podrás usar mi cuerpo mientras yo sigo amando a Ashley.

Scarlett se casa con Rhett.

Scarlett y Rhett tienen una hija llamada Bonnie.

Rhett: Te amo Scarlett. Me has hecho muy feliz.

Scarlett: El embarazo me dejó gorda. Es tu culpa Rhett, te odio.

Bonnie muere.

Scarlett: Ashley acabo de darme cuenta que no te amo. Amo es a Rhett.

Ashley: Yo también me he dado cuenta que no te amo. Amo es a Melanie. Celebremos dándonos un abrazo.

Ven a Scarlett y Ashley abrazados. Le dicen a Rhett y a Melanie que estan siendo engañados.

Melanie: Scarlett, querida, se que eres incapaz de eso. Tu eres un angel.

Scarlett: Te amo Melanie.

Melanie muere.

Scarlett: Rhett, Melanie murió.

Rhett: Debes estar feliz, ahora puedes largarte con Ashley.

Scarlett: No, ya no lo amo. Te amo es a ti.

Rhett: Lastima yo ya no te amo.

Scarlett: Pero que yo SÍ te amo.

Rhett:

*Inserte aquí millones de lagrimas mientras leía este final*

Llore tanto que las ultimas paginas de mi libro quedaron irremediablemente manchadas. Mis sentimientos irremediablemente desechos. Y mi corazón irremediablemente conquistado.

Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |
Well, I've read it. It is gripping, and the descriptions of antebellum and post-War Atlanta are quite astounding. The childbirth scenes, especially in a hot, humid bedroom are enough to make one grateful that we have survived as a species.

My gripe? Too many characters begun and then dropped off of the palette. A character comes who buys Tara by marrying Scarlett's sister . . . and then he disappears in the volume, as an example. It just bugs me, because there is so much that is complete, well-researched, and the extraneous characters just emerge to keep the story moving or to get Ms. Mitchell out of an author's bind.

Still, it's worth reading, if only because it is a classic. ( )
  threadnsong | Jun 18, 2016 |
An old fashioned, romantic narrative with no Joycean or Proustian nonsense about it, the novel is written in a methodical style which fastidious readers may find wearying. But so carefully does Author Mitchell build up her central character of Scarlett O'Hara, and her picture of the times in which that wild woman struggled, that artistic lapses seem scarcely more consequential than Scarlett's many falls from grace.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jul 6, 1936)

This is beyond a doubt one of the most remarkable first novels produced by an American writer. It is also one of the best.

The historical background is the chief virtue of the book, and it is the story of the times rather than the unconvincing and somewhat absurd plot that gives Miss Mitchell's work whatever importance may be attached to it.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Ralph Thompson (pay site) (Jun 30, 1936)

Mitchell, Margaretprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Auterinen, MaijaliisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beheim-Schwarzbach, MartinÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stahl, BenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ein Mensch ist in seinem Leben wie Gras/er blühet wie eine Blume auf dem Felde;/wenn der Wind darüber geht, so ist sie nimmer da,/ und ihre Stätte kennet sie nicht mehr. Psalm 103
To J. R. M.
Scarlett O'Hara was not beautiful, but men seldom realized it when caught by her charm, as the Tarleton twins were.
As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again. (Scarlett)
I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' babies. (Prissy)
After all, tomorrow is another day.
My dear, I don't give a damn.
This LT work is for Margaret Mitchell's original 1936 novel, Gone with the Wind. Please distinguish it both from partial copies of the work (one or another volume from a 2, 3 or 4-volume set) and from the 1939 movie version of the same name. Thank you.

Set in Georgia at the time of the Civil War, this is the story of headstrong Scarlett O'Hara, her three marriages and her determination to keep her father's property of Tara, despite the vicissitudes of war and passion.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 068483068X, Hardcover)

An anniversary edition of Margaret Mitchell's timeless classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:23 -0400)

An epic story of the South's fight to maintain its way of life during the Civil War years. Scarlett O'Hara and her family are amongst the ladies and gentlemen at the Twelve Oaks Plantation's ball before the Civil War begins. Scarlett's love for one man keeps her from seeing the love that another man truly has for her. As the South finally crumbles around her, Scarlett devises a way to overcome starvation in order to save herself and her family.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,130,621 books! | Top bar: Always visible