Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Gone with the Wind (original 1936; edition 2007)

by Margaret Mitchell, Pat Conroy (Preface)

Member:sylviawrigley
Title:Gone with the Wind
Authors:Margaret Mitchell
Other authors:Pat Conroy (Preface)
Info:Scribner (2007), Edition: 1st Scribner Trade Pbk. Ed, Paperback, 960 pages

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell (1936)

The Wind Done Gone: A Novel by Alice Randall (lquilter, petersonvl)
    lquilter: This work was rewritten to tell the other side of Gone With the Wind, the story that Mitchell elided with her romanticized view of racism and slavery and its "happier when they were slaves" survivors. The Mitchell estate chose to sue for copyright infringement, but lost because the court recognized that this work is an important critical commentary on Gone with the Wind, and the beliefs that animated the original.… (more)
    Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: They are both scandalous women. It’s a love hate relationship.
    Jubilee by Margaret Walker (lquilter)
    lquilter: Jubilee is the true story of the author's great grandmother, a woman born to slavery as the daughter of a slave and a white slave-owner. She acted as servant to her white sister, and was a witness to antebellum life, the Civil War, and Reconstruction.
    Oh, Kentucky! by Betty Layman Receveur (blonderedhead)
    blonderedhead: Strong female heroine in a sweeping, romantic and exciting historical fiction novel. I loved both books...and think others might, too.
    The Legacy by Katherine Webb (tesskrose)
    War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (GCPLreader)
    GCPLreader: melodrama in the midst of war and the invasion (and burning!) of a major city
    The Wind Is Never Gone: Sequels, Parodies and Rewritings of Gone with the Wind by M. Carmen Gomez-galisteo (Prinzipessa, Prinzipessa)
    Prinzipessa: This book explains Gone with the Wind and analyzes its sequels, parodies as well as the fan fiction stories based on Gone With the Wind.
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (StarryNightElf)
    Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy (Lapsus_Linguae)
    Lapsus_Linguae: Both main heroines are strong-willed independent women who take up entrepreneurship.
    A Skeptic's Luck by A.D. Morel (A.D.Morel)
    A.D.Morel: There's this feeling of longing, that she will not quite get there, yet we are passionately rooting for the main character, we go through her travails with her.
    The Winds of Tara: The Saga Lives On by Katherine Pinotti (veracity)
    veracity: 'Winds of Tara' is an unauthorised sequel to 'Gone with the Wind'.
    Heart of the West by Penelope Williamson (theshadowknows)
    theshadowknows: These books share a similar epic, sweeping feel in bringing to life a lost and fading ideal (the American frontier in Heart of the West and the old, genteel south in Gone with the Wind.)
    Katherine by Anya Seton (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Its about having to deal with a very strong, charismatic man. *Sigh*
    My Name is Mary Sutter: A Novel by Robin Oliveira (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Rhett Butler's People by Donald McCaig (mrstreme)
    Scarlett: The Sequel to Margaret Mitchell's "Gone With the Wind" by Alexandra Ripley (Nyxn)
1930s (37)
Elevenses (175)

English (360)  Spanish (4)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All languages (369)
Wow.. what to say about this wonderful book. If someone would have told me I will read a 1000+ pages book and wish it would never end..

This book is one of the masterpieces of the American Literature. Capturing the pre & post Civil war and the recovery period after the war, book gets into Southern society, Women rights, slave rights, war, and hugging the story all around is a love triangle that takes shape of an obsession, love, loyalty in a cat-like brave & confused woman. I think the story is famous, I will not try to summarize it here. I will just share my opinions on it: Scarlett O'Hara is the reflection of Margaret Michell's grandmother. Although they fell apart in later years, she told most of the civil war stories to Margaret. Because Scarlett O'Hara is detached from political and religious attachments, she becomes the perfect story teller. She explains everything as she sees it and even criticizes Ku Klux Klan and does not feel the same contempt towards Rhett Butler when he shares the truth about South's chances of winning the war. Maybe her realistic or unemotional view on things pull Rhett towards her? The book gets into scandalous topics: like Scarlett's view on children, Rhett's indifference towards society's views.. And that ending??

Great read from heartbreaking times of honor & courage.. And mostly delusions on love & war... ( )
  soontobefree | Nov 16, 2018 |
Listen. Is it a good book? Does it have good character development? Does it weave a telling tale of times during the Civil War? Did it add to my experience as a person?
Yes... I suppose it did.
Would I want to read it again? Do I like any of the characters? Do I think back on it with more pleasure than poking myself in the eye?
Oh goodness me no!
Read it if you like complaining princesses and an unsatisfactory ending. Oh, maybe Twilight fans would enjoy it! ( )
  KatelynSBolds | Nov 12, 2018 |
Was assigned to read this book my senior year in high school. Re-read it every summer for the next 5 years. Still remember that Scarlett had a 17 inch waist. Continues to be one of my favorites books ever. ( )
  Lianapc | Oct 30, 2018 |
Read in the spring of my freshman year in high school. I absolutely loved it. I couldn't stop reading this novel; I even faked sick so I could stay home and read it. ( )
  bookishblond | Oct 24, 2018 |
I started this a couple weeks ago and plan to 'work at it' this summer.

This was SO much easier to read than I thought it would be. I thoroughly enjoyed it! ( )
  cubsfan3410 | Sep 1, 2018 |
An old fashioned, romantic narrative with no Joycean or Proustian nonsense about it, the novel is written in a methodical style which fastidious readers may find wearying. But so carefully does Author Mitchell build up her central character of Scarlett O'Hara, and her picture of the times in which that wild woman struggled, that artistic lapses seem scarcely more consequential than Scarlett's many falls from grace.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jul 6, 1936)

This is beyond a doubt one of the most remarkable first novels produced by an American writer. It is also one of the best.

The historical background is the chief virtue of the book, and it is the story of the times rather than the unconvincing and somewhat absurd plot that gives Miss Mitchell's work whatever importance may be attached to it.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Ralph Thompson (pay site) (Jun 30, 1936)

Mitchell, Margaretprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Auterinen, MaijaliisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beheim-Schwarzbach, MartinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stahl, BenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ein Mensch ist in seinem Leben wie Gras/er blühet wie eine Blume auf dem Felde;/wenn der Wind darüber geht, so ist sie nimmer da,/ und ihre Stätte kennet sie nicht mehr. Psalm 103
To J. R. M.
Scarlett O'Hara was not beautiful, but men seldom realized it when caught by her charm, as the Tarleton twins were.
As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again. (Scarlett)
I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' babies. (Prissy)
After all, tomorrow is another day.
My dear, I don't give a damn.
This LT work is for Margaret Mitchell's original 1936 novel, Gone with the Wind. Please distinguish it both from partial copies of the work (one or another volume from a 2, 3 or 4-volume set) and from the 1939 movie version of the same name. Thank you.

Set in Georgia at the time of the Civil War, this is the story of headstrong Scarlett O'Hara, her three marriages and her determination to keep her father's property of Tara, despite the vicissitudes of war and passion.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 068483068X, Hardcover)

An anniversary edition of Margaret Mitchell's timeless classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:23 -0400)

After the Civil War sweeps away the genteel life to which she has been accustomed, Scarlett O'Hara sets about to salvage her plantation home.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,246,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible