The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time…

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian (2007)

by Sherman Alexie

Reservation Blues by Sherman Alexie (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Contemporary fiction about searching for identity
    The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (bbudke)
    Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison (Othemts)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Red Sky at Morning by Richard Bradford (mysterymax)
    Broken Glass Park by Alina Bronsky (Anonymous user)
    Riding Invisible by Sandra Alonzo (meggyweg)
    Kira-Kira by Cynthia Kadohata (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: There are many similarities of theme, not the least of which are loss and identity.
    A Step From Heaven by An Na (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: Different in feel altogether from Diary, but also another good novel about entering and adjusting to predominantly white-American culture
    The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint by Brady Udall (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: A similar story for older teens/adults. Edgar is an American Indian orphan coming of age.
    Dakota Dream by James W. Bennett (meggyweg)

English (523)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (527)
I really enjoyed this. It it very funny, and heartbreaking in places, also. It offers a lot of insight into the realities of the Indian culture, since the author is an Indian and is drawing on his life for many of the events in the story. It is interesting to get a viewpoint other than the romanticized one offered by many outsiders to the culture. I would recommend it highly to my students, with warnings that there are a few incidents of profanity and adult themes. ( )
  darcy36 | Jul 8, 2014 |
The narrator begins the book by introducing himself as a young boy who was born with water on his brain. He lives on the Spokane Indian Reservation and he likes to escape reality through his art. After the death of his best friend, Oscar, Junior spends more time with his best friend Rowdy. After realizing that his hopes and dreams can only be attained by leaving the rez, Junior sets out on his journey to Reardon, leaving behind his best friend Rowdy. After many loses and setbacks, Junior learns to cope with his fate and find his place in society.

Junior leaves his reservation to find his own identity. The road is definitely not easy, but he learns to find a less restrictive form of identity. While trying to find his identity, Junior tests the bonds and friendships he has both back home and in Reardon. Rather it be building a friendship of watching one completely fall apart, relationships play a huge role.

I personally like the book because it shows the struggle of identifying with who you really are in society. It reminds me of having a set way of doing things in your own community and you learn that the same rules may not apply in other communities. This book teaches us that it is ok to change and identify with multiple groups. Juniors experience with Roger reveals that we should take a step back, re-evaluate the situation, and make the best of it. ( )
  meriabell | Jun 17, 2014 |
An outstanding read for my kids who have outgrown Wimpy Kid but are ready for something with more meat. Took me a little bit to get into, but I really loved it. Sports and humor and a strong message of hope. ( )
  pdill8 | Jun 17, 2014 |
Arnold is born with physical disabilities and grows up being taunted. The story is about Arnold growing up amid poverty and abuse, as well as friendship and perseverance.
  laurlou | Jun 10, 2014 |
5Q, 4P

This is an amazing, inspiring book about a young teen names Arnold Spirit, Jr. who lives on the Spokane Indian Reservation in Washington. His life begins with complications; he is born with hydrocephalus, and his life is a daily struggle as he fights off bullies and tragedies that seem to follow him wherever he goes. What makes this book so great is Alexie's commitment to sharing himself with his readers, and giving Junior hope despite the darkness he must face as part of life on the reservation. Many of the issues Junior confronts are relatable to readers from many different cultures, such as poverty and a feeling of not belonging, and his positive outlook and perseverance is truly inspiring to read. He gives hope that destiny is truly in one's own hands. We have to power to change our lives for the better without losing ourselves in the process, and Junior's story reminds us that there is always good in the world even where it is least expected.
  Jen4k | Jun 9, 2014 |
Working in the voice of a 14-year-old forces Alexie to strip everything down to action and emotion, so that reading becomes more like listening to your smart, funny best friend recount his day while waiting after school for a ride home.

Sherman Alexieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Forney, EllenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is another world, but it is in this one. --W.B. Yeats
For Wellpinit and Reardon, my hometowns
I was born with water on the brain.
"No, I'm serious. I always knew you were going to leave. I always knew you were going to leave us behind and travel the world. I had this dream about you a few months ago. You were standing on the Great Wall of China. You looked happy. And I was happy for you."
During one week when I was little, Dad got stopped three times for DWI: Driving While Indian.
“Son,” Mr. P. said. “You’re going to find more and more hope the farther and farther you walk away from this sad, sad, sad reservation.”
I'd always been the lowest Indian on the reservation totem pole-- I wasn't expected to be good so I wasn't. But in Reardan, my coach and the other players wanted me to be good. They needed me to be good. They expected me to be good. And so I became good.
"I used to think the world was broken down by tribes," I said. "By black and white. By Indian and white. But I know that isn't true. The world is only broken into two tribes. The people who are assholes and the people who are not."
Some editions, like ISBN 9780316013697, include study guide

Jr is struggling with being a poor Indian. He is given the opportunity to leave the reservation and start a new life outside of the Native American culture. And thus the story goes from chapter to chapter. This books crosses cultures of the Native American and Reardan, a white/christian culture in a rural setting. This story can be used on many fronts in a classroom. Racism, culture boundaries, friendship(Rowdy, Penelope), and having the ability to change your life. A great story with a lot of possibilities in a classroom.

Sherman Alexie tells the story of Junior, a budding cartoonist growing up on the Spokane Indian Reservation. Determined to take his future into his own hands, Junior leaves his troubled school on the rez to attend an all-white farm town high school where the only other Indian is the school mascot. Heartbreaking, funny, and beautifully written, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, which is based on the author's own experiences, coupled with poignant drawings that reflect the character's art, chronicles the contemporary adolescence of one Native American boy as he attempts to break away from the life he thought he was destined to live. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, Alexie's YA debut, released in hardcover to instant success, recieving seven starred reviews, hitting numerous bestseller lists, and winning the 2007 National Book Award for Young People's Literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:56 -0400)

Budding cartoonist Junior leaves his troubled school on the Spokane Indian Reservation to attend an all-white farm town school where the only other Indian is the school mascot.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,699,559 books! | Top bar: Always visible