The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time…

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian (2007)

by Sherman Alexie

6,198557655 (4.34)406
    Reservation Blues by Sherman Alexie (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Contemporary fiction about searching for identity
    Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison (Othemts)
    The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (bbudke)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Red Sky at Morning by Richard Bradford (mysterymax)
    Broken Glass Park by Alina Bronsky (Anonymous user)
    Riding Invisible by Sandra Alonzo (meggyweg)
    Kira-Kira by Cynthia Kadohata (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: There are many similarities of theme, not the least of which are loss and identity.
    A Step From Heaven by An Na (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: Different in feel altogether from Diary, but also another good novel about entering and adjusting to predominantly white-American culture
    The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint by Brady Udall (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: A similar story for older teens/adults. Edgar is an American Indian orphan coming of age.
    Dakota Dream by James W. Bennett (meggyweg)

English (552)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (556)
Very good. It was over too soon. (Read on nook) ( )
  huntersun9 | May 26, 2015 |
I don't know how I missed this book because I have read all his others. I was reading a story on most banned books and this was listed at the top for 2014 thus putting it back on my radar. Anyway, this is the best book he has written! So poignant, funny. Sherman Alexie at his finest, as usual! ( )
  Jolynne | May 25, 2015 |
This is one of those book that as soon as I finished it, I wanted to run around the neighborhood, yelling at all my neighbors, telling them they to read it too. It is an easy and quick read that made me both laugh and cry. ( )
  EllsbethB | May 9, 2015 |
I had a surprisingly difficult time putting this book down. It's not that it was suspenseful; it was that I just loved Junior (the narrator) and wanted to hear more of what he had to say. He's endearing and hilarious--probably one of my all-time favorite main characters. The story is as touching as it is well-told. Loved it. ( )
  KimHooperWrites | May 6, 2015 |
Summary: A story of a young Indian boy from the reservation and his coming of age. Junior is dealt some serious blows, physically and mentally, as he seeks to discover who he is. Following his academic aspirations may cause him to be kicked out of the reservation, and possibly his racial heritage.

Personal Reaction: One of my recent favorites, this book has it all for me. Junior faces some unique identity challenges, being a child of an Indian reservation. Alexie doesn’t gloss over some tough issues and I feel that is very important to some young readers.

Classroom Extension: Many teens coming of age go through reflection and discovery periods. A doodle in the story depicts Junior and his split identity: half-Indian, half-white. I would have a creative activity where students explore identities that they feel torn between.
  KaitlynBlevins | May 5, 2015 |
Working in the voice of a 14-year-old forces Alexie to strip everything down to action and emotion, so that reading becomes more like listening to your smart, funny best friend recount his day while waiting after school for a ride home.

Sherman Alexieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Forney, EllenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is another world, but it is in this one. --W.B. Yeats
For Wellpinit and Reardon, my hometowns
I was born with water on the brain. Okay, so that's not exactly true. I was actually born with too much cerebral spinal fluid inside my skull. But cerebral spinal fluid is just the doctors' fancy way of saying brain grease.
"No, I'm serious. I always knew you were going to leave. I always knew you were going to leave us behind and travel the world. I had this dream about you a few months ago. You were standing on the Great Wall of China. You looked happy. And I was happy for you."
During one week when I was little, Dad got stopped three times for DWI: Driving While Indian.
“Son,” Mr. P. said. “You’re going to find more and more hope the farther and farther you walk away from this sad, sad, sad reservation.”
I'd always been the lowest Indian on the reservation totem pole-- I wasn't expected to be good so I wasn't. But in Reardan, my coach and the other players wanted me to be good. They needed me to be good. They expected me to be good. And so I became good.
"I used to think the world was broken down by tribes," I said. "By black and white. By Indian and white. But I know that isn't true. The world is only broken into two tribes. The people who are assholes and the people who are not."
Some editions, like ISBN 9780316013697, include study guide

Jr is struggling with being a poor Indian. He is given the opportunity to leave the reservation and start a new life outside of the Native American culture. And thus the story goes from chapter to chapter. This books crosses cultures of the Native American and Reardan, a white/christian culture in a rural setting. This story can be used on many fronts in a classroom. Racism, culture boundaries, friendship(Rowdy, Penelope), and having the ability to change your life. A great story with a lot of possibilities in a classroom.

Sherman Alexie tells the story of Junior, a budding cartoonist growing up on the Spokane Indian Reservation. Determined to take his future into his own hands, Junior leaves his troubled school on the rez to attend an all-white farm town high school where the only other Indian is the school mascot. Heartbreaking, funny, and beautifully written, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, which is based on the author's own experiences, coupled with poignant drawings that reflect the character's art, chronicles the contemporary adolescence of one Native American boy as he attempts to break away from the life he thought he was destined to live.

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, Alexie's YA debut, released in hardcover to instant success, recieving seven starred reviews, hitting numerous bestseller lists, and winning the 2007 National Book Award for Young People's Literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:56 -0400)

Budding cartoonist Junior leaves his troubled school on the Spokane Indian Reservation to attend an all-white farm town school where the only other Indian is the school mascot.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,304,672 books! | Top bar: Always visible