The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time…

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian (2007)

by Sherman Alexie

Reservation Blues by Sherman Alexie (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Contemporary fiction about searching for identity
    Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison (Othemts)
    The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (bbudke)
    The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint by Brady Udall (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: A similar story for older teens/adults. Edgar is an American Indian orphan coming of age.
    Kira-Kira by Cynthia Kadohata (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: There are many similarities of theme, not the least of which are loss and identity.
    Red Sky at Morning by Richard Bradford (mysterymax)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Riding Invisible by Sandra Alonzo (meggyweg)
    A Step From Heaven by An Na (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: Different in feel altogether from Diary, but also another good novel about entering and adjusting to predominantly white-American culture
    Broken Glass Park by Alina Bronsky (Anonymous user)
    Dakota Dream by James W. Bennett (meggyweg)

English (665)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All (669)
I voted for this for the CBR book club, because it’s been on my to-read list for a couple of years and I knew this would be the motivation I needed. And I’m so glad it was selected, because this was really a great book.

I didn’t entirely know what to expect, but I think the chapter early on (was it the second one) really set the tone. He talks about the worst thing about being poor wasn’t being hungry; it was not being able to take the dog to the vet when he was sick. That was just a big slap in the face of reality, and let me know that this wasn’t going to be a generic young adult book (not that I was expecting generic from Mr. Alexie).

The book follows Junior, a Spokane Indian who is motivated by a teacher to get a better education by attending the white high school 20 miles outside the reservation. The book somehow manages to address poverty, racism, opportunity, motivation, success, fear, alcoholism, and relationships with equal parts humor and depth. The book sounds like it could be the inner thoughts of a 14-year-old boy, and I mean that in the best way possible.

Really the only issue I took with it was the liberal use of the gay slur that starts with the letter f. I get that he’s trying to give us insight into how adolescent boys talk, but it was so jarring and I thought wasn’t necessary. ( )
  ASKelmore | Jul 9, 2017 |
Sherman Alexie is one of the funnest author's that I have read in a long time. Junior is a wonderfully written character, who parallels Alexie's own life. He struggles to remain true to his roots on the reservations when he decides that he wants to go to school off reservation in a local town about 40 minutes away. Alexie balances the book with images to tell Junior's story. Great book for non-readers and struggle readers! Highly recommended for high school students. ( )
  VClarke | Jul 9, 2017 |
I don't read many Young Adult novels so I'm not a qualified reviewer of the genre . . . but this one is now my favorite. Sharp, smart, sad and funny. A great book for both teens and adults. ( )
  dcmr | Jul 4, 2017 |
I read this for book club and was pleasantly surprised by it. It's not really my type of book so I thought I probably wouldn't like it, but I'll say this for Alexie: he really nailed the voice of the main character. And it's an easy, quick read - you get all caught up in it and find yourself breezing through the pages. Some good moments of insight into teenage life as well. Sister's death at the end was a bit tacked on, but really still a good read.
  wintersdoor | Jul 2, 2017 |
Funny, with some sharp and painful truths tucked among the silliness. So, basically like eating a ball of crushed glass dipped in chocolate. One more, please.

Recommended reading for anyone's who's struggled with a hyphenated identity, and especially if you've tasted poverty and/or grief. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
Working in the voice of a 14-year-old forces Alexie to strip everything down to action and emotion, so that reading becomes more like listening to your smart, funny best friend recount his day while waiting after school for a ride home.

Sherman Alexieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Forney, EllenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is another world, but it is in this one. --W.B. Yeats
For Wellpinit and Reardon, my hometowns
I was born with water on the brain. Okay, so that's not exactly true. I was actually born with too much cerebral spinal fluid inside my skull. But cerebral spinal fluid is just the doctors' fancy way of saying brain grease.
"No, I'm serious. I always knew you were going to leave. I always knew you were going to leave us behind and travel the world. I had this dream about you a few months ago. You were standing on the Great Wall of China. You looked happy. And I was happy for you."
During one week when I was little, Dad got stopped three times for DWI: Driving While Indian.
“Son,” Mr. P. said. “You’re going to find more and more hope the farther and farther you walk away from this sad, sad, sad reservation.”
I'd always been the lowest Indian on the reservation totem pole-- I wasn't expected to be good so I wasn't. But in Reardan, my coach and the other players wanted me to be good. They needed me to be good. They expected me to be good. And so I became good.
"I used to think the world was broken down by tribes," I said. "By black and white. By Indian and white. But I know that isn't true. The world is only broken into two tribes. The people who are assholes and the people who are not."
Some editions, like ISBN 9780316013697, include study guide

Jr is struggling with being a poor Indian. He is given the opportunity to leave the reservation and start a new life outside of the Native American culture. And thus the story goes from chapter to chapter. This books crosses cultures of the Native American and Reardan, a white/christian culture in a rural setting. This story can be used on many fronts in a classroom. Racism, culture boundaries, friendship(Rowdy, Penelope), and having the ability to change your life. A great story with a lot of possibilities in a classroom.

Sherman Alexie tells the story of Junior, a budding cartoonist growing up on the Spokane Indian Reservation. Determined to take his future into his own hands, Junior leaves his troubled school on the rez to attend an all-white farm town high school where the only other Indian is the school mascot. Heartbreaking, funny, and beautifully written, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, which is based on the author's own experiences, coupled with poignant drawings that reflect the character's art, chronicles the contemporary adolescence of one Native American boy as he attempts to break away from the life he thought he was destined to live.

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, Alexie's YA debut, released in hardcover to instant success, recieving seven starred reviews, hitting numerous bestseller lists, and winning the 2007 National Book Award for Young People's Literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:14 -0400)

Budding cartoonist Junior leaves his troubled school on the Spokane Indian Reservation to attend an all-white farm town school where the only other Indian is the school mascot.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,175,470 books! | Top bar: Always visible