The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time…

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian (2007)

by Sherman Alexie

Reservation Blues by Sherman Alexie (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Contemporary fiction about searching for identity
    Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison (Othemts)
    The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (bbudke)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Red Sky at Morning by Richard Bradford (mysterymax)
    Broken Glass Park by Alina Bronsky (Anonymous user)
    Riding Invisible by Sandra Alonzo (meggyweg)
    Kira-Kira by Cynthia Kadohata (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: There are many similarities of theme, not the least of which are loss and identity.
    A Step From Heaven by An Na (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: Different in feel altogether from Diary, but also another good novel about entering and adjusting to predominantly white-American culture
    The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint by Brady Udall (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: A similar story for older teens/adults. Edgar is an American Indian orphan coming of age.
    Dakota Dream by James W. Bennett (meggyweg)

English (578)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (582)
This novel is about a boy named Junior (Arnold) who grew up on a Spokane
Indian Reservation, and was told by his teacher to leave it to keep his hope. He goes to an
all white school called Reardan, and is immediately picked on by some people in school,
but later earns their respect after he punches the school’s bully Roger. He soon becomes a
sensational at school, and tries to convince his old friend Rowdy to come to the school
because of his life back home, but he says no.
  laurenmaune | Nov 16, 2015 |
This book is great for teaching social justices and diversity of different cultures.
  rhugues | Nov 11, 2015 |
See my full review at How I Feel About Books. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
A semi-autobiographical novel, Arnold Spirit lives on the Spokane Tribe Reservation in Washington. This book sees him through a seminal year in which he decides he must attend a high school off of the reservation if he is to keep his dreams for his future alive. It gives a window into the peer pressure he faced to stay on the reservation and the loneliness he faced by leaving.

This was an excellent book! The stark reality of Arnold's life and the lives of those around him is contrasted, or perhaps enhanced by his refusal to let go of the hope within. There is a dark humor to this boy which probably saved him. This is definitely a book about adolescent boys, along with ALL of the issues they face. It is refreshingly honest. Reading the comments from the author at the end enabled me to pin down what I loved about the theme of this story. He said, "Even as the world tries to define you, narrow the definition of you, don't do it to yourself." ( )
  MrsLee | Oct 27, 2015 |
I read this book for my English class, and when I looked over the book, I thought: this book is...different...
I haven't read books with pictures for a long time, so this book was a nice change. When I first read the synopsis, I thought this book wasn't going to be really interesting, because I don't usually read this genre of books. Once I started reading the first few chapters, I started to really like it. I finished it within a few days, which is quite fast for me, since I'm a really slow reader. It was funny like everyone else said, but it also had a lot of sad parts. Overall, it was unexpectedly great, and it made me miss reading picture books. ( )
  elizabeth1929 | Oct 6, 2015 |
Working in the voice of a 14-year-old forces Alexie to strip everything down to action and emotion, so that reading becomes more like listening to your smart, funny best friend recount his day while waiting after school for a ride home.

Sherman Alexieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Forney, EllenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is another world, but it is in this one. --W.B. Yeats
For Wellpinit and Reardon, my hometowns
I was born with water on the brain. Okay, so that's not exactly true. I was actually born with too much cerebral spinal fluid inside my skull. But cerebral spinal fluid is just the doctors' fancy way of saying brain grease.
"No, I'm serious. I always knew you were going to leave. I always knew you were going to leave us behind and travel the world. I had this dream about you a few months ago. You were standing on the Great Wall of China. You looked happy. And I was happy for you."
During one week when I was little, Dad got stopped three times for DWI: Driving While Indian.
“Son,” Mr. P. said. “You’re going to find more and more hope the farther and farther you walk away from this sad, sad, sad reservation.”
I'd always been the lowest Indian on the reservation totem pole-- I wasn't expected to be good so I wasn't. But in Reardan, my coach and the other players wanted me to be good. They needed me to be good. They expected me to be good. And so I became good.
"I used to think the world was broken down by tribes," I said. "By black and white. By Indian and white. But I know that isn't true. The world is only broken into two tribes. The people who are assholes and the people who are not."
Some editions, like ISBN 9780316013697, include study guide

Jr is struggling with being a poor Indian. He is given the opportunity to leave the reservation and start a new life outside of the Native American culture. And thus the story goes from chapter to chapter. This books crosses cultures of the Native American and Reardan, a white/christian culture in a rural setting. This story can be used on many fronts in a classroom. Racism, culture boundaries, friendship(Rowdy, Penelope), and having the ability to change your life. A great story with a lot of possibilities in a classroom.

Sherman Alexie tells the story of Junior, a budding cartoonist growing up on the Spokane Indian Reservation. Determined to take his future into his own hands, Junior leaves his troubled school on the rez to attend an all-white farm town high school where the only other Indian is the school mascot. Heartbreaking, funny, and beautifully written, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, which is based on the author's own experiences, coupled with poignant drawings that reflect the character's art, chronicles the contemporary adolescence of one Native American boy as he attempts to break away from the life he thought he was destined to live.

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, Alexie's YA debut, released in hardcover to instant success, recieving seven starred reviews, hitting numerous bestseller lists, and winning the 2007 National Book Award for Young People's Literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:14 -0400)

Budding cartoonist Junior leaves his troubled school on the Spokane Indian Reservation to attend an all-white farm town school where the only other Indian is the school mascot.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,944,901 books! | Top bar: Always visible