The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time…

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

by Sherman Alexie

Reservation Blues by Sherman Alexie (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Contemporary fiction about searching for identity
    Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison (Othemts)
    The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (bbudke)
    The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint by Brady Udall (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: A similar story for older teens/adults. Edgar is an American Indian orphan coming of age.
    Kira-Kira by Cynthia Kadohata (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: There are many similarities of theme, not the least of which are loss and identity.
    A Step From Heaven by An Na (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: Different in feel altogether from Diary, but also another good novel about entering and adjusting to predominantly white-American culture
    Red Sky at Morning by Richard Bradford (mysterymax)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Riding Invisible by Sandra Alonzo (meggyweg)
    Broken Glass Park by Alina Bronsky (Anonymous user)
    Dakota Dream by James W. Bennett (meggyweg)

English (700)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (704)
Hard to categorize this one. It's as sad a misery-fest as it's possible to imagine. And yet, despite the multiple deaths of close family members and the hopelessness and alcohol addiction of others, it's kinda optimistic. Is that weird? ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
This book covers many difficult topics such as racism, alcoholism, depression, domestic abuse, and bullying. All these are seen through the eyes of a 14 year old boy and despite of everything that's happening around him he pushes himself to have the courage to aim high and find hope. It's heartbreaking, but also honest, and funny. ( )
  nu-bibliophile | Mar 4, 2019 |
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, tells an incredible story of adversity and hope while providing an extreme amount of humor. Junior, an extremely talented artist, and self-proclaimed, “weirdo” makes the decision to move off his reservation to attend a white school. His decision comes after realizing the reservation isn’t going to help him accomplish his dreams or help him create the life he deserves. The choice to attend Wellpinit doesn’t come without consequences; his best friend, Rowdy, and the rest of the reservation turns their back on Junior. Through humorous snippets of life events, the reader gets to watch Junior grow into the boy he has always hoped he would become. ( )
  carrieludwig | Feb 18, 2019 |
One of the most unique books I’ve read recently. True Diary is a semi autobiographical novel of a young American Indian teen’s coming of age on the reservation. Funny, heartbreaking and entertaining all at the same time. We root for Junior as he sets out for a white school off Rez. Set against a background of endemic alcoholism, physical violence and bullying, Junior’s life and family are still filled with love. I can’t really imagine this is a YA book. I enjoyed it. ( )
  Zumbanista | Feb 1, 2019 |
This is the story of a 14 year old boy named Arnold who lives on an Indian reservation in Spokane. He is a good student, so his school on the reservation is troubled, so his parents send him to the local school off the reservation. He doesn't fit in there either, because he is the only kid who isn't white at the school. Arnold had been born with a lot of fluid on his brain and was constantly bullied on the reservation. When he gets to his new school he does start to make new friends and even joins the basketball team. During the story, he has to deal with the death of his grandmother, his dog, and his sister. He has parents that spend more time drunk than not, and often forget to pick him up at the bus stop - which is 20 miles from his house. But his humor and resilience help him continue to believe someday he could leave the reservation and make something of himself. He feels caught between the world he grew up in and the white world he joined when he went to high school. He struggles to figure out who this makes him.

This was a pretty good book. I listened to it, and I really don't like when the authors read their own books. This is one of those books, and the author did an okay job, but it was a little choppy and no changes in voices for characters which made it a bit weird. But beyond that - it was a pretty good story. It is a short book, and written for the teenage crowd (but be wary - there is talk of sex and masturbation in the book, even though it is very little).

Check it out. The author took some details from his own up bringing as a Native American on a reservation to develop this story, and it gives a good look into the life of being a Native American who lives on a reservation but attends school and exists in a world outside of that as well. ( )
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
Working in the voice of a 14-year-old forces Alexie to strip everything down to action and emotion, so that reading becomes more like listening to your smart, funny best friend recount his day while waiting after school for a ride home.

Sherman Alexieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Forney, EllenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is another world, but it is in this one. --W.B. Yeats
For Wellpinit and Reardon, my hometowns
I was born with water on the brain. Okay, so that's not exactly true. I was actually born with too much cerebral spinal fluid inside my skull. But cerebral spinal fluid is just the doctors' fancy way of saying brain grease.
"No, I'm serious. I always knew you were going to leave. I always knew you were going to leave us behind and travel the world. I had this dream about you a few months ago. You were standing on the Great Wall of China. You looked happy. And I was happy for you."
During one week when I was little, Dad got stopped three times for DWI: Driving While Indian.
“Son,” Mr. P. said. “You’re going to find more and more hope the farther and farther you walk away from this sad, sad, sad reservation.”
I'd always been the lowest Indian on the reservation totem pole-- I wasn't expected to be good so I wasn't. But in Reardan, my coach and the other players wanted me to be good. They needed me to be good. They expected me to be good. And so I became good.
"I used to think the world was broken down by tribes," I said. "By black and white. By Indian and white. But I know that isn't true. The world is only broken into two tribes. The people who are assholes and the people who are not."
Some editions, like ISBN 9780316013697, include study guide

Jr is struggling with being a poor Indian. He is given the opportunity to leave the reservation and start a new life outside of the Native American culture. And thus the story goes from chapter to chapter. This books crosses cultures of the Native American and Reardan, a white/christian culture in a rural setting. This story can be used on many fronts in a classroom. Racism, culture boundaries, friendship(Rowdy, Penelope), and having the ability to change your life. A great story with a lot of possibilities in a classroom.

Sherman Alexie tells the story of Junior, a budding cartoonist growing up on the Spokane Indian Reservation. Determined to take his future into his own hands, Junior leaves his troubled school on the rez to attend an all-white farm town high school where the only other Indian is the school mascot. Heartbreaking, funny, and beautifully written, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, which is based on the author's own experiences, coupled with poignant drawings that reflect the character's art, chronicles the contemporary adolescence of one Native American boy as he attempts to break away from the life he thought he was destined to live.

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, Alexie's YA debut, released in hardcover to instant success, recieving seven starred reviews, hitting numerous bestseller lists, and winning the 2007 National Book Award for Young People's Literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:14 -0400)

Budding cartoonist Junior leaves his troubled school on the Spokane Indian Reservation to attend an all-white farm town school where the only other Indian is the school mascot.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,453,574 books! | Top bar: Always visible