The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time…

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian (original 2007; edition 2009)

by Sherman Alexie

Member:Capfox
Title:The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian
Authors:Sherman Alexie
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: Collectors, Hardcover, 272 pages
Collections:Your library, Reviewed
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, reviewed, young adult

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie (2007)

Reservation Blues by Sherman Alexie (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Contemporary fiction about searching for identity
    Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison (Othemts)
    The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (bbudke)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Red Sky at Morning by Richard Bradford (mysterymax)
    Broken Glass Park by Alina Bronsky (Anonymous user)
    Riding Invisible by Sandra Alonzo (meggyweg)
    Kira-Kira by Cynthia Kadohata (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: There are many similarities of theme, not the least of which are loss and identity.
    A Step From Heaven by An Na (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: Different in feel altogether from Diary, but also another good novel about entering and adjusting to predominantly white-American culture
    The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint by Brady Udall (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: A similar story for older teens/adults. Edgar is an American Indian orphan coming of age.
    Dakota Dream by James W. Bennett (meggyweg)

English (525)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (529)
I wanted to give this book four stars because it wasn't one of my absolute favorites but I couldn't bring myself to give it less than a 4.5 star rating. Excellently written, hilarious throughout and kept me entertained from start to almost finish. The ending was a bit happy go lucky for me but I realize this was written for a teen audience. I enjoyed the laughter the book started off with and I think it would have been a bit better if the humor continued throughout. Overall a great book that I would recommend to almost anybody who likes a laughter filled, coming of age story. Read it! ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
Should be read by everyone for the lessons, the perspective and the pure reading pleasure of it. ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
This book tells the story of the native American author Sherman Alexie, and his up-bringing. A big part of it is about how he became the writer that he is. It's a lot about being interested and curious in things, which most people don't end up being very curious.
  Abdullah9000 | Aug 13, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this. It it very funny, and heartbreaking in places, also. It offers a lot of insight into the realities of the Indian culture, since the author is an Indian and is drawing on his life for many of the events in the story. It is interesting to get a viewpoint other than the romanticized one offered by many outsiders to the culture. I would recommend it highly to my students, with warnings that there are a few incidents of profanity and adult themes. ( )
  darcy36 | Jul 8, 2014 |
An outstanding read for my kids who have outgrown Wimpy Kid but are ready for something with more meat. Took me a little bit to get into, but I really loved it. Sports and humor and a strong message of hope. ( )
  pdill8 | Jun 17, 2014 |
Working in the voice of a 14-year-old forces Alexie to strip everything down to action and emotion, so that reading becomes more like listening to your smart, funny best friend recount his day while waiting after school for a ride home.

Sherman Alexieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Forney, EllenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is another world, but it is in this one. --W.B. Yeats
For Wellpinit and Reardon, my hometowns
I was born with water on the brain.
"No, I'm serious. I always knew you were going to leave. I always knew you were going to leave us behind and travel the world. I had this dream about you a few months ago. You were standing on the Great Wall of China. You looked happy. And I was happy for you."
During one week when I was little, Dad got stopped three times for DWI: Driving While Indian.
“Son,” Mr. P. said. “You’re going to find more and more hope the farther and farther you walk away from this sad, sad, sad reservation.”
I'd always been the lowest Indian on the reservation totem pole-- I wasn't expected to be good so I wasn't. But in Reardan, my coach and the other players wanted me to be good. They needed me to be good. They expected me to be good. And so I became good.
"I used to think the world was broken down by tribes," I said. "By black and white. By Indian and white. But I know that isn't true. The world is only broken into two tribes. The people who are assholes and the people who are not."
Some editions, like ISBN 9780316013697, include study guide

Jr is struggling with being a poor Indian. He is given the opportunity to leave the reservation and start a new life outside of the Native American culture. And thus the story goes from chapter to chapter. This books crosses cultures of the Native American and Reardan, a white/christian culture in a rural setting. This story can be used on many fronts in a classroom. Racism, culture boundaries, friendship(Rowdy, Penelope), and having the ability to change your life. A great story with a lot of possibilities in a classroom.

Sherman Alexie tells the story of Junior, a budding cartoonist growing up on the Spokane Indian Reservation. Determined to take his future into his own hands, Junior leaves his troubled school on the rez to attend an all-white farm town high school where the only other Indian is the school mascot. Heartbreaking, funny, and beautifully written, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, which is based on the author's own experiences, coupled with poignant drawings that reflect the character's art, chronicles the contemporary adolescence of one Native American boy as he attempts to break away from the life he thought he was destined to live. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, Alexie's YA debut, released in hardcover to instant success, recieving seven starred reviews, hitting numerous bestseller lists, and winning the 2007 National Book Award for Young People's Literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:56 -0400)

Budding cartoonist Junior leaves his troubled school on the Spokane Indian Reservation to attend an all-white farm town school where the only other Indian is the school mascot.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,327,434 books! | Top bar: Always visible