The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time…

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian (original 2007; edition 2009)

by Sherman Alexie

Member:matthewwalther
Title:The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian
Authors:Sherman Alexie
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 288 pages

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie (2007)

Reservation Blues by Sherman Alexie (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Contemporary fiction about searching for identity
    Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison (Othemts)
    The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (bbudke)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Red Sky at Morning by Richard Bradford (mysterymax)
    Broken Glass Park by Alina Bronsky (Anonymous user)
    Riding Invisible by Sandra Alonzo (meggyweg)
    Kira-Kira by Cynthia Kadohata (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: There are many similarities of theme, not the least of which are loss and identity.
    A Step From Heaven by An Na (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: Different in feel altogether from Diary, but also another good novel about entering and adjusting to predominantly white-American culture
    The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint by Brady Udall (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: A similar story for older teens/adults. Edgar is an American Indian orphan coming of age.
    Dakota Dream by James W. Bennett (meggyweg)

English (537)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (541)
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian is a semi-autobiographical YA novel by Sherman Alexie, telling the story of Arnold, who lives on a reservation in the Pacific Northwest. When he's issued a textbook and sees that his mother had also used it, thirty years earlier, he decides that he has to attend a better school, a predominantly white school in a rural town thirty miles from home. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian tells the story of his freshman year, with the conflict he feels on leaving and the struggle to find a place in a school that, at best, considers him an oddity and, at worst, is openly racist. But this is anything but a grim story. It's about a fourteen year old boy, after all, so there's lots about girls, and masturbation and basketball, and it's illustrated with Arnold's drawings, cartoons and sketches. I'll be setting this book out where my son can find it, as I think he'll like Arnold, whose life is so much more difficult than his. Alexie's not afraid to portray life on a reservation as it is and he's not afraid to explain why it's so bleak, but he's also quick to show the love that exists and the vibrant community that has everyone looking out for everyone else. ( )
  RidgewayGirl | Dec 14, 2014 |
Story about a boy named Junior who is a budding cartoonist growing up on the Spokane Indian Reservation. Junior leaves his troubled school on the reservation to attend an all-white farm town high school where the only other Indian is the school mascot. Heartbreaking, funny, and beautifully written, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, which is based on the author's own experiences, coupled with poignant drawings by acclaimed artist Ellen Forney, that reflect the character's art, chronicles the contemporary adolescence of one Native American boy as he attempts to break away from the life he was destined to live.
  kzilinskas | Dec 12, 2014 |
A wonderful, funny, and touching coming of age story -- authentic and compelling. Issues of poverty, race, fitting into a new place, emerging sexuality, alcoholism, masturbation. I think fine for seventh grade on up depending on parent sensitivities. ( )
  amydelpo | Dec 9, 2014 |
This book definitely brought a lot of humor to a story and a life that many students are most likely not familiar with.
  Madison_DeWeerdt | Dec 4, 2014 |
Genre: Autobiography
Format: Chapter book

Junior is a fourteen year old native boy who grew up on a Spokane Indian Reservation in the state of Washington. What makes Junior a little different is he was born with water in his brain causing him to have a stutter and lisp. Junior decides to leave the reservation and attend a white high school. The novel shows the struggles that Junior faces both inside and out of the reservation. Even with his parents being alcholics he somehow manages to find hope and make a change for himself. This book has a perfect combination of humor and inspiration. I would recommend it for sixth grade and higher.
  georperez | Dec 3, 2014 |
Working in the voice of a 14-year-old forces Alexie to strip everything down to action and emotion, so that reading becomes more like listening to your smart, funny best friend recount his day while waiting after school for a ride home.

Sherman Alexieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Forney, EllenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is another world, but it is in this one. --W.B. Yeats
For Wellpinit and Reardon, my hometowns
I was born with water on the brain. Okay, so that's not exactly true. I was actually born with too much cerebral spinal fluid inside my skull. But cerebral spinal fluid is just the doctors' fancy way of saying brain grease.
"No, I'm serious. I always knew you were going to leave. I always knew you were going to leave us behind and travel the world. I had this dream about you a few months ago. You were standing on the Great Wall of China. You looked happy. And I was happy for you."
During one week when I was little, Dad got stopped three times for DWI: Driving While Indian.
“Son,” Mr. P. said. “You’re going to find more and more hope the farther and farther you walk away from this sad, sad, sad reservation.”
I'd always been the lowest Indian on the reservation totem pole-- I wasn't expected to be good so I wasn't. But in Reardan, my coach and the other players wanted me to be good. They needed me to be good. They expected me to be good. And so I became good.
"I used to think the world was broken down by tribes," I said. "By black and white. By Indian and white. But I know that isn't true. The world is only broken into two tribes. The people who are assholes and the people who are not."
Some editions, like ISBN 9780316013697, include study guide

Jr is struggling with being a poor Indian. He is given the opportunity to leave the reservation and start a new life outside of the Native American culture. And thus the story goes from chapter to chapter. This books crosses cultures of the Native American and Reardan, a white/christian culture in a rural setting. This story can be used on many fronts in a classroom. Racism, culture boundaries, friendship(Rowdy, Penelope), and having the ability to change your life. A great story with a lot of possibilities in a classroom.

Sherman Alexie tells the story of Junior, a budding cartoonist growing up on the Spokane Indian Reservation. Determined to take his future into his own hands, Junior leaves his troubled school on the rez to attend an all-white farm town high school where the only other Indian is the school mascot. Heartbreaking, funny, and beautifully written, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, which is based on the author's own experiences, coupled with poignant drawings that reflect the character's art, chronicles the contemporary adolescence of one Native American boy as he attempts to break away from the life he thought he was destined to live.

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, Alexie's YA debut, released in hardcover to instant success, recieving seven starred reviews, hitting numerous bestseller lists, and winning the 2007 National Book Award for Young People's Literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:56 -0400)

Budding cartoonist Junior leaves his troubled school on the Spokane Indian Reservation to attend an all-white farm town school where the only other Indian is the school mascot.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,380,256 books! | Top bar: Always visible