The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time…

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian (original 2007; edition 2009)

by Sherman Alexie

Member:matthewwalther
Title:The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian
Authors:Sherman Alexie
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 288 pages

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie (2007)

Reservation Blues by Sherman Alexie (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Contemporary fiction about searching for identity
    Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison (Othemts)
    The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (bbudke)
    The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint by Brady Udall (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: A similar story for older teens/adults. Edgar is an American Indian orphan coming of age.
    Kira-Kira by Cynthia Kadohata (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: There are many similarities of theme, not the least of which are loss and identity.
    Red Sky at Morning by Richard Bradford (mysterymax)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Riding Invisible by Sandra Alonzo (meggyweg)
    A Step From Heaven by An Na (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: Different in feel altogether from Diary, but also another good novel about entering and adjusting to predominantly white-American culture
    Broken Glass Park by Alina Bronsky (Anonymous user)
    Dakota Dream by James W. Bennett (meggyweg)

English (633)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (637)
Loved, loved, loved this National Book Award Winner. It's YA, I guess, and I hope a lot of young adults are reading it for pleasure. I'm fairly sure it's being required here and there, for the wisdom that's in it; I'm also keenly aware that it's probably being challenged for its language and subject matter by misguided parents, who think their kids ought not read about adolescents having the thoughts and feelings adolescents have, or about tough issues like alcoholism and racism and poverty. Foo. This is heart-wrenching and laughter-inducing in equal measure, and every kid who has ever felt awkward, out of place, or at odds with his best friend, or conflicted about his family (ALL of 'em, in other words) should feel better after reading this novel. It'd be good for the grown-ups too. ( )
  laytonwoman3rd | Jul 30, 2016 |
Arnold, the main character in The absolutely true diary of a part time Indian has never felt like he fit in with those around him. Born on an Indian Reservation with the condition of Hydrocephalus the size of his head makes his different from the other kids around him on the Spokane Indian reservation. Wanting a different life and to follow his dreams, Arnold decides to leave the reservation school and go to an all white High School in a neighboring small town. The book then tells the story of Arnold trying to straddle both worlds and the obstacles that he has to overcome to have his dream. ( )
  trippd | Jul 30, 2016 |
Story of Arnold Spirit Jr (Junior) who is Native American, living on Spokane Indian Reservation. This first person narrative begins with Junior providing background information about him, his family and the circumstances of his birth and life. The story details Junior's decision to leave the reservation school and go to an all-white public high school in a town 22 miles away from the reservation. Junior shares the difficulties, adjustments, triumphs and tragedies as he discovers how to make a place for himself in this unknown world.

Grades: 7-10

Classroom use: Sterotypes, Coming of Age, High School, Homelessness, Poverty, Native American, Prejudice and Tolerance Experiences
  GEMaguire | Jul 26, 2016 |
Sherman Alexie, a Spokane Indian, narrates this book written in the first-person about a teenage boy, Junior, a 14 year old cartoonist. Much of the story is autobiographical dealing with aspect that Alexie himself knew first hand. Alexie honestly deals with alcoholism, poverty, violence, sexual references and life on the res. Unfortunately, the book was banned in some places. ( )
  JimStork | Jul 21, 2016 |
Love this book. Sherman Alexie at his best! Don't let the cartoons fool you into thinking that this is a children's book! ( )
  KimKimpton | Jul 14, 2016 |
Working in the voice of a 14-year-old forces Alexie to strip everything down to action and emotion, so that reading becomes more like listening to your smart, funny best friend recount his day while waiting after school for a ride home.

Sherman Alexieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Forney, EllenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is another world, but it is in this one. --W.B. Yeats
For Wellpinit and Reardon, my hometowns
I was born with water on the brain. Okay, so that's not exactly true. I was actually born with too much cerebral spinal fluid inside my skull. But cerebral spinal fluid is just the doctors' fancy way of saying brain grease.
"No, I'm serious. I always knew you were going to leave. I always knew you were going to leave us behind and travel the world. I had this dream about you a few months ago. You were standing on the Great Wall of China. You looked happy. And I was happy for you."
During one week when I was little, Dad got stopped three times for DWI: Driving While Indian.
“Son,” Mr. P. said. “You’re going to find more and more hope the farther and farther you walk away from this sad, sad, sad reservation.”
I'd always been the lowest Indian on the reservation totem pole-- I wasn't expected to be good so I wasn't. But in Reardan, my coach and the other players wanted me to be good. They needed me to be good. They expected me to be good. And so I became good.
"I used to think the world was broken down by tribes," I said. "By black and white. By Indian and white. But I know that isn't true. The world is only broken into two tribes. The people who are assholes and the people who are not."
Some editions, like ISBN 9780316013697, include study guide

Jr is struggling with being a poor Indian. He is given the opportunity to leave the reservation and start a new life outside of the Native American culture. And thus the story goes from chapter to chapter. This books crosses cultures of the Native American and Reardan, a white/christian culture in a rural setting. This story can be used on many fronts in a classroom. Racism, culture boundaries, friendship(Rowdy, Penelope), and having the ability to change your life. A great story with a lot of possibilities in a classroom.

Sherman Alexie tells the story of Junior, a budding cartoonist growing up on the Spokane Indian Reservation. Determined to take his future into his own hands, Junior leaves his troubled school on the rez to attend an all-white farm town high school where the only other Indian is the school mascot. Heartbreaking, funny, and beautifully written, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, which is based on the author's own experiences, coupled with poignant drawings that reflect the character's art, chronicles the contemporary adolescence of one Native American boy as he attempts to break away from the life he thought he was destined to live.

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, Alexie's YA debut, released in hardcover to instant success, recieving seven starred reviews, hitting numerous bestseller lists, and winning the 2007 National Book Award for Young People's Literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:14 -0400)

Budding cartoonist Junior leaves his troubled school on the Spokane Indian Reservation to attend an all-white farm town school where the only other Indian is the school mascot.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,468,540 books! | Top bar: Always visible