The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time…

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian (original 2007; edition 2009)

by Sherman Alexie (Author)

5,621None757 (4.35)357
Member:gjchauvin504
Title:The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian
Authors:Sherman Alexie (Author)
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 288 pages
Collections:Non Fiction, Multicultural, Chapter Books
Rating:*****
Tags:Indians, America

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie (2007)

alcoholism (263) basketball (239) bullying (62) coming of age (206) death (121) diary (88) family (109) fiction (498) friendship (180) high school (202) humor (202) identity (76) Indian (74) Indians (80) multicultural (65) National Book Award (86) Native American (392) Native Americans (332) poverty (157) racism (118) realistic fiction (121) reservation (118) reservations (73) school (65) Spokane (78) teen (118) to-read (90) YA (373) young adult (386) young adult fiction (108)
    Reservation Blues by Sherman Alexie (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Contemporary fiction about searching for identity
    The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (bbudke)
    Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison (Othemts)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Red Sky at Morning by Richard Bradford (mysterymax)
    Broken Glass Park by Alina Bronsky (Anonymous user)
    Riding Invisible by Sandra Alonzo (meggyweg)
    Kira-Kira by Cynthia Kadohata (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: There are many similarities of theme, not the least of which are loss and identity.
    A Step From Heaven by An Na (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: Different in feel altogether from Diary, but also another good novel about entering and adjusting to predominantly white-American culture
    The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint by Brady Udall (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: A similar story for older teens/adults. Edgar is an American Indian orphan coming of age.
    Dakota Dream by James W. Bennett (meggyweg)

English (509)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (513)
This is a good book. I find it a shame that Sherman Alexie hasn't written more. I was partly influenced to read this because I'd read and enjoyed "Reservation Blues" and partly because it had made so many "Best of Year" lists.

There's very little that has influenced my opinion of native Americans in today's culture than Sherman Alexie. He's about my only source. Everything else, I can't take at face value. I guess it's like being black, you have to be it to understand, otherwise you just don't get it. The story is enormously entertaining. It gets real, but there are also some loose ends, like his seizures and stuttering that don't figure in. ( )
  theWallflower | Apr 10, 2014 |
This is one of the funniest books I have ever read/listened to, but it also has sad moments. I won't recommend listening to it while driving, as I did... I do recommend listening, however, because it is read by Alexie with all the pronunciations and accents of the reservation. A truly great, truly human book. ( )
  homericgeek | Apr 8, 2014 |
Teenage Indian boy living on reservation overcomes odds due to physical and mental issues to become popular. It wasn't easy. Will probably need therapy for much of adult life. ( )
  AbundaBookworms | Mar 24, 2014 |
This book often is featured on banned book lists, so I decided to read it. While there is some brief frank talk about masturbation, and some other crass teenage-esque talk, there is plenty in this book to recommend it. sadness overwhelms this book and really shows us what life on the res (reservation) might really be like. According to the U.S. Census a lot of what this book relates is normal. The poverty, drugs, alcohol, suicide, etc is worse on reservations than the national average. There are a lot of learning opportunities in this book related to racism, abuse, violence, bullying, education and native culture.

This book is read by the author who has a slightly strange voice- almost sounds Canadian? ( )
  GR8inD8N | Mar 24, 2014 |
An extremely insightful look into Native American culture on a reservation, this story is told from Junior's perspective as he struggles through his ninth grade year after he decides to attend an all-while school off the reservation. Although this is a coming of age book, it also looks at some serious social inequalities and challenges that face Native American groups.
  Boockk | Mar 15, 2014 |
Working in the voice of a 14-year-old forces Alexie to strip everything down to action and emotion, so that reading becomes more like listening to your smart, funny best friend recount his day while waiting after school for a ride home.

Sherman Alexieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Forney, EllenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is another world, but it is in this one. --W.B. Yeats
For Wellpinit and Reardon, my hometowns
I was born with water on the brain.
"No, I'm serious. I always knew you were going to leave. I always knew you were going to leave us behind and travel the world. I had this dream about you a few months ago. You were standing on the Great Wall of China. You looked happy. And I was happy for you."
During one week when I was little, Dad got stopped three times for DWI: Driving While Indian.
“Son,” Mr. P. said. “You’re going to find more and more hope the farther and farther you walk away from this sad, sad, sad reservation.”
I'd always been the lowest Indian on the reservation totem pole-- I wasn't expected to be good so I wasn't. But in Reardan, my coach and the other players wanted me to be good. They needed me to be good. They expected me to be good. And so I became good.
"I used to think the world was broken down by tribes," I said. "By black and white. By Indian and white. But I know that isn't true. The world is only broken into two tribes. The people who are assholes and the people who are not."
Some editions, like ISBN 9780316013697, include study guide

Jr is struggling with being a poor Indian. He is given the opportunity to leave the reservation and start a new life outside of the Native American culture. And thus the story goes from chapter to chapter. This books crosses cultures of the Native American and Reardan, a white/christian culture in a rural setting. This story can be used on many fronts in a classroom. Racism, culture boundaries, friendship(Rowdy, Penelope), and having the ability to change your life. A great story with a lot of possibilities in a classroom.

Sherman Alexie tells the story of Junior, a budding cartoonist growing up on the Spokane Indian Reservation. Determined to take his future into his own hands, Junior leaves his troubled school on the rez to attend an all-white farm town high school where the only other Indian is the school mascot. Heartbreaking, funny, and beautifully written, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, which is based on the author's own experiences, coupled with poignant drawings that reflect the character's art, chronicles the contemporary adolescence of one Native American boy as he attempts to break away from the life he thought he was destined to live. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, Alexie's YA debut, released in hardcover to instant success, recieving seven starred reviews, hitting numerous bestseller lists, and winning the 2007 National Book Award for Young People's Literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:56 -0400)

Budding cartoonist Junior leaves his troubled school on the Spokane Indian Reservation to attend an all-white farm town school where the only other Indian is the school mascot.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,501,461 books! | Top bar: Always visible