The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time…

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian (original 2007; edition 2009)

by Sherman Alexie

Member:Theamwriter
Title:The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian
Authors:Sherman Alexie
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:***

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie (2007)

Reservation Blues by Sherman Alexie (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Contemporary fiction about searching for identity
    Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison (Othemts)
    Kira-Kira by Cynthia Kadohata (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: There are many similarities of theme, not the least of which are loss and identity.
    The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (bbudke)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Red Sky at Morning by Richard Bradford (mysterymax)
    Broken Glass Park by Alina Bronsky (Anonymous user)
    Riding Invisible by Sandra Alonzo (meggyweg)
    A Step From Heaven by An Na (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: Different in feel altogether from Diary, but also another good novel about entering and adjusting to predominantly white-American culture
    The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint by Brady Udall (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: A similar story for older teens/adults. Edgar is an American Indian orphan coming of age.
    Dakota Dream by James W. Bennett (meggyweg)

English (624)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (628)
Arnold, or Junior as he is known on the Spokane Indian Reservation, is not a popular kid and he gets picked on quite often. He enjoys drawing cartoons and hanging out with his friend Rowdy. As he begins his freshman year he decides he wants to attend Reardon, the white school off of the reservation. He was not prepared for the reactions of his tribe members or his best friend to his decision. He perseveres through this difficult time and and makes friends at his new school along with learning life lessons for the future. ( )
  Kay_Downing | Apr 28, 2016 |
I could go on about my love for Sherman Alexie, but I will try to keep it simple and clear. This book is about teenage Arnold(Junior) who lives on a Spokane Indian Reservation who finds himself transferring schools off reservation. We follow his life at his new town school full of mostly white kids and see him struggle with bullying and racism. This book speaks to me because it tackles huge issues such as death and bullying and eating disorders, but as you see these develop, you see Arnold coping through his drawings. Among all the depressing events, this book stays light with humor and for that I appreciate it greatly. This is a great book for young teenagers who might be struggling who can find themselves in Arnold's story and through that reliability find solace. ( )
  MorganGuess | Apr 26, 2016 |
Coming of age story of a Native American boy who lives on a reservation but begins attending a school in a nearby wealthy town of primarily white people. Good for grades 6 and up. Quick read, includes some cartoons drawn by the narrator. Curricular connections: compare/contrast with another story of a teenagers entering a different culture. ( )
  KristineCA | Apr 26, 2016 |
This novel by Sherman Alexie is a bildungsroman novel about Arnold Spirit Jr. (Junior) who is a Native-American teen living on a Spokane Indian Reservation. Junior is advised by his reservation school teacher to attend an all white high school off the reservation, and this narrative recounts Junior's experiences. This narrative is punctuated with comic illustrations which act a punch lines for some of the anecdotes. The language and subject matter in the text are serious in nature and Sherman has a blunt, direct writing style. Topics include sexuality, bullying,racism, poverty, alcohol, and mental disability. In addition, the tragic death of characters can be difficult for young readers.Junior experiences all of these topics. That being said, I believe that today's teens are exposed to the language and subject matter in high schools today. Moreover, the perspective of the Native American citizen is important to explore. I like to use this novel as a per-cursor to graphic novels. On a positive note, class discussion can center around friendship and hope. I use this novel as a paired reading with poetry by Claude McKay and Langston Hughes. ( )
  sgemmell | Apr 19, 2016 |
I liked this book for many reasons. First the language was appropriate for an older audience. This book would be better for students in middle school in order for them to understand the plot. The plot of the story was a bit intense looking at the Native American culture currently in the United States. The reader sees the main character going through struggles of being an outcast in a new school and even an outcast in his own community. Many teenagers would be able to relate to these struggles that Junior goes through. The main idea of the story is a tale of self discovery of Junior’s life and who is whether he is better identify with his Native American culture or margining into the American culture. ( )
  rbiegel | Apr 17, 2016 |
Working in the voice of a 14-year-old forces Alexie to strip everything down to action and emotion, so that reading becomes more like listening to your smart, funny best friend recount his day while waiting after school for a ride home.

Sherman Alexieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Forney, EllenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is another world, but it is in this one. --W.B. Yeats
For Wellpinit and Reardon, my hometowns
I was born with water on the brain. Okay, so that's not exactly true. I was actually born with too much cerebral spinal fluid inside my skull. But cerebral spinal fluid is just the doctors' fancy way of saying brain grease.
"No, I'm serious. I always knew you were going to leave. I always knew you were going to leave us behind and travel the world. I had this dream about you a few months ago. You were standing on the Great Wall of China. You looked happy. And I was happy for you."
During one week when I was little, Dad got stopped three times for DWI: Driving While Indian.
“Son,” Mr. P. said. “You’re going to find more and more hope the farther and farther you walk away from this sad, sad, sad reservation.”
I'd always been the lowest Indian on the reservation totem pole-- I wasn't expected to be good so I wasn't. But in Reardan, my coach and the other players wanted me to be good. They needed me to be good. They expected me to be good. And so I became good.
"I used to think the world was broken down by tribes," I said. "By black and white. By Indian and white. But I know that isn't true. The world is only broken into two tribes. The people who are assholes and the people who are not."
Some editions, like ISBN 9780316013697, include study guide

Jr is struggling with being a poor Indian. He is given the opportunity to leave the reservation and start a new life outside of the Native American culture. And thus the story goes from chapter to chapter. This books crosses cultures of the Native American and Reardan, a white/christian culture in a rural setting. This story can be used on many fronts in a classroom. Racism, culture boundaries, friendship(Rowdy, Penelope), and having the ability to change your life. A great story with a lot of possibilities in a classroom.

Sherman Alexie tells the story of Junior, a budding cartoonist growing up on the Spokane Indian Reservation. Determined to take his future into his own hands, Junior leaves his troubled school on the rez to attend an all-white farm town high school where the only other Indian is the school mascot. Heartbreaking, funny, and beautifully written, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, which is based on the author's own experiences, coupled with poignant drawings that reflect the character's art, chronicles the contemporary adolescence of one Native American boy as he attempts to break away from the life he thought he was destined to live.

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, Alexie's YA debut, released in hardcover to instant success, recieving seven starred reviews, hitting numerous bestseller lists, and winning the 2007 National Book Award for Young People's Literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:14 -0400)

Budding cartoonist Junior leaves his troubled school on the Spokane Indian Reservation to attend an all-white farm town school where the only other Indian is the school mascot.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,334 books! | Top bar: Always visible