The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time…

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian (original 2007; edition 2009)

by Sherman Alexie

Member:Theamwriter
Title:The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian
Authors:Sherman Alexie
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:***

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie (2007)

Reservation Blues by Sherman Alexie (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Contemporary fiction about searching for identity
    Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison (Othemts)
    The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (bbudke)
    The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint by Brady Udall (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: A similar story for older teens/adults. Edgar is an American Indian orphan coming of age.
    Kira-Kira by Cynthia Kadohata (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: There are many similarities of theme, not the least of which are loss and identity.
    Red Sky at Morning by Richard Bradford (mysterymax)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Riding Invisible by Sandra Alonzo (meggyweg)
    A Step From Heaven by An Na (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: Different in feel altogether from Diary, but also another good novel about entering and adjusting to predominantly white-American culture
    Broken Glass Park by Alina Bronsky (Anonymous user)
    Dakota Dream by James W. Bennett (meggyweg)

English (646)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All (650)
This book is about a journey that one young boy, Junior, takes moving from the reservation high school to an all-white high school off reservation. He overcomes many challenges and struggles both within himself and with the people around him. But, in the end, he is able to make the most out of the experience. ( )
  AimeeSword | Feb 17, 2017 |
I just finished reading this book for the second time. The first read was shortly after it was published, and I sent it to my young grand-nephew who lives in Seattle. This time around I needed something funny but poignant to take my mind off what's happening in the world. This second reading didn't disappoint. Junior speaks for all of us, doesn't he? Our insecurities, our hopes, our dreams, our struggles to make our lives better. Layered on top of his experience, though, are factors most of us don't have to take into account: racism, poverty, alcoholism, and a pervasive feeling of being an actual Other--not just in the figurative, teen-aged angst filled sense of being different. The pathos lying just beneath the surface of Alexie's writing is what wins me over every time I read his books. ( )
  ucla70 | Jan 19, 2017 |
Again one of those times I wish I was more articulate in expressing the right words to explain why you all need to read this. A perfect novel for all ages and something that needs to be read and taught to our young people (FYI my 15 yr old read it for school and told me all about it) Loved how it didn't talk down to kids or force a moral down your throat but kids will at the same time might start to feel a bit more sympathetic to the Native community. It is raw and tackles some very difficult subject matter, but it is done with humor and honesty. At times I was crying and laughing at the same time. The book is worth the price alone for the chapter dealing with books and boners. Tears running down my eyes from laughter - it was so raw and hell it makes sense. This my friends is now one of my all time favourite books. And also my fellow Canadians we need to talk about this - lets get out from behind our guilt of what are ancestors did and actually help our fellow man. Since I don't have the words, here are some brilliant quotes from the novel -- I could have posted at least 50, but I don't want to ruin it for you.

Favourite Quotes/Passages

“I used to think the world was broken down by tribes,' I said. 'By Black and White. By Indian and White. But I know this isn't true. The world is only broken into two tribes: the people who are assholes and the people who are not.”

"My grandmother had no use for all the gay bashing and homophobia in the world, especially among other Indians. "Jeez," she said, Who cares if a man wants to marry another man? All I want to know is who's going to pick up all the dirty socks?"

“We Indians really should be better liars, considering how often we've been lied to.”

“I didn't literally kill Indians. We were supposed to make you give up being Indian. Your songs and stories and language and dancing. Everything. We weren't trying to kill Indian people. We were trying to kill Indian culture.” ( )
  mountie9 | Jan 11, 2017 |
This is definitely a book I would recommend to my students, especially boys who are into sports who might also be reluctant readers. ( )
  beckyrenner | Dec 29, 2016 |
I was not sure what to expect with this book, but I don't think I will ever forget what I read. The story was well written, meaningful, and engaging. ( )
  Annabelleurb | Dec 12, 2016 |
Working in the voice of a 14-year-old forces Alexie to strip everything down to action and emotion, so that reading becomes more like listening to your smart, funny best friend recount his day while waiting after school for a ride home.

Sherman Alexieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Forney, EllenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is another world, but it is in this one. --W.B. Yeats
For Wellpinit and Reardon, my hometowns
I was born with water on the brain. Okay, so that's not exactly true. I was actually born with too much cerebral spinal fluid inside my skull. But cerebral spinal fluid is just the doctors' fancy way of saying brain grease.
"No, I'm serious. I always knew you were going to leave. I always knew you were going to leave us behind and travel the world. I had this dream about you a few months ago. You were standing on the Great Wall of China. You looked happy. And I was happy for you."
During one week when I was little, Dad got stopped three times for DWI: Driving While Indian.
“Son,” Mr. P. said. “You’re going to find more and more hope the farther and farther you walk away from this sad, sad, sad reservation.”
I'd always been the lowest Indian on the reservation totem pole-- I wasn't expected to be good so I wasn't. But in Reardan, my coach and the other players wanted me to be good. They needed me to be good. They expected me to be good. And so I became good.
"I used to think the world was broken down by tribes," I said. "By black and white. By Indian and white. But I know that isn't true. The world is only broken into two tribes. The people who are assholes and the people who are not."
Some editions, like ISBN 9780316013697, include study guide

Jr is struggling with being a poor Indian. He is given the opportunity to leave the reservation and start a new life outside of the Native American culture. And thus the story goes from chapter to chapter. This books crosses cultures of the Native American and Reardan, a white/christian culture in a rural setting. This story can be used on many fronts in a classroom. Racism, culture boundaries, friendship(Rowdy, Penelope), and having the ability to change your life. A great story with a lot of possibilities in a classroom.

Sherman Alexie tells the story of Junior, a budding cartoonist growing up on the Spokane Indian Reservation. Determined to take his future into his own hands, Junior leaves his troubled school on the rez to attend an all-white farm town high school where the only other Indian is the school mascot. Heartbreaking, funny, and beautifully written, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, which is based on the author's own experiences, coupled with poignant drawings that reflect the character's art, chronicles the contemporary adolescence of one Native American boy as he attempts to break away from the life he thought he was destined to live.

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, Alexie's YA debut, released in hardcover to instant success, recieving seven starred reviews, hitting numerous bestseller lists, and winning the 2007 National Book Award for Young People's Literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:14 -0400)

Budding cartoonist Junior leaves his troubled school on the Spokane Indian Reservation to attend an all-white farm town school where the only other Indian is the school mascot.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,498,224 books! | Top bar: Always visible