The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time…

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian (original 2007; edition 2009)

by Sherman Alexie

Member:Theamwriter
Title:The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian
Authors:Sherman Alexie
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:***

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie (2007)

Reservation Blues by Sherman Alexie (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Contemporary fiction about searching for identity
    Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison (Othemts)
    The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (bbudke)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Red Sky at Morning by Richard Bradford (mysterymax)
    Broken Glass Park by Alina Bronsky (Anonymous user)
    Riding Invisible by Sandra Alonzo (meggyweg)
    Kira-Kira by Cynthia Kadohata (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: There are many similarities of theme, not the least of which are loss and identity.
    A Step From Heaven by An Na (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: Different in feel altogether from Diary, but also another good novel about entering and adjusting to predominantly white-American culture
    The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint by Brady Udall (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: A similar story for older teens/adults. Edgar is an American Indian orphan coming of age.
    Dakota Dream by James W. Bennett (meggyweg)

English (540)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (544)
I enjoy this book for its humor and its realistic look at how Native American youth live. The book is easily related to. Many of the students who have read this book have enjoyed it immensely. It has language that is controversial and it has been challenged several times in our district. It can relate to the curriculum in regards to Native Americans, censorship, memoirs, or even on a sociological perspective of what "defines" a person.
  RachelSchillreff | Feb 25, 2015 |
My introduction to Sherman Alexie was through the short stories read on the podcast Selected Shorts, all of which I loved. I was excited to see how he treated being an Indian (his term, not mine, for the PC-police) in a YA format and was not disappointed.

Still, I'm finding it hard to articulate my feelings about the book. It was a good read that it was written from the perspective of a 14-year-old boy with unapologetic realism. I could hear the narrator's voice clearly in my head. There are things I and I'm sure almost anyone can relate to such as going to school with people richer than oneself (which particularly resonated with me, though we were by no means as poor as Junior's family in the book is), being an awkward outcast, navigating the ambiguity of relationships in a high school environment, etc.

And the book is funny, but for me, not funny ha-ha. The jokes are clever and sharp and incisive and clearly a coping mechanism for Junior. So perhaps because they're so...survivalist, I guess, I found them clever but didn't often laugh. They often felt gut-wrenching. I don't know if that makes any sense, but that's the best I can describe it.

So, I suppose in short it's a well written, powerful book. Alexie successfully captures the voice of a 14-year-old boy and his unapologetic, realistic look at life on the Rez with be surprising to some. I'm from Nevada and Arizona, so it wasn't a surprise to me, but it was the most unvarnished description of many reservations I've ever read.

The artwork is wonderful and the edition I have even includes a really great interview with the artists that I found fascinating. I have [Tonto and the Lone Ranger Fistfight in Heaven] on my Kindle and I'm sure I'll be reading that well in the future.

I realize this may not be the most helpful review, but it's the best I can do for now. I'll probably be chewing on this one for a couple of days. But this is my initial reaction. ( )
  Shutzie27 | Feb 23, 2015 |
Joy/suffering, hope/despair, gain/loss, love/hate, life/death, sober/drunk, red/white, acceptance/bigotry, wealth/poverty, new/traditional. Life's a fine line. A privilege to read this book. ( )
  5hrdrive | Feb 21, 2015 |
The Absolute True Diary of a Part-Time Indian is the story of a native boy's coming of age struggle between two contrasting worlds���the repressive and harsh reality of a First Nation reservation where his heart and soul is, and the all-white farming community where possibilities exist for him to reach his creative potential. In either case, he is considered an outcast; a traitor in one, and a misfit in another. We follow him through a roller coaster of emotions and escapades, from the hilarious to the gut wrenching. His warrior determination to remain true to himself makes him an endearing and unforgettable character. A must-read. ( )
  BooksUncovered | Feb 17, 2015 |
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian is a semi-autobiographical YA novel by Sherman Alexie, telling the story of Arnold, who lives on a reservation in the Pacific Northwest. When he's issued a textbook and sees that his mother had also used it, thirty years earlier, he decides that he has to attend a better school, a predominantly white school in a rural town thirty miles from home. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian tells the story of his freshman year, with the conflict he feels on leaving and the struggle to find a place in a school that, at best, considers him an oddity and, at worst, is openly racist. But this is anything but a grim story. It's about a fourteen year old boy, after all, so there's lots about girls, and masturbation and basketball, and it's illustrated with Arnold's drawings, cartoons and sketches. I'll be setting this book out where my son can find it, as I think he'll like Arnold, whose life is so much more difficult than his. Alexie's not afraid to portray life on a reservation as it is and he's not afraid to explain why it's so bleak, but he's also quick to show the love that exists and the vibrant community that has everyone looking out for everyone else. ( )
  RidgewayGirl | Dec 14, 2014 |
Working in the voice of a 14-year-old forces Alexie to strip everything down to action and emotion, so that reading becomes more like listening to your smart, funny best friend recount his day while waiting after school for a ride home.

Sherman Alexieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Forney, EllenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is another world, but it is in this one. --W.B. Yeats
For Wellpinit and Reardon, my hometowns
I was born with water on the brain. Okay, so that's not exactly true. I was actually born with too much cerebral spinal fluid inside my skull. But cerebral spinal fluid is just the doctors' fancy way of saying brain grease.
"No, I'm serious. I always knew you were going to leave. I always knew you were going to leave us behind and travel the world. I had this dream about you a few months ago. You were standing on the Great Wall of China. You looked happy. And I was happy for you."
During one week when I was little, Dad got stopped three times for DWI: Driving While Indian.
“Son,” Mr. P. said. “You’re going to find more and more hope the farther and farther you walk away from this sad, sad, sad reservation.”
I'd always been the lowest Indian on the reservation totem pole-- I wasn't expected to be good so I wasn't. But in Reardan, my coach and the other players wanted me to be good. They needed me to be good. They expected me to be good. And so I became good.
"I used to think the world was broken down by tribes," I said. "By black and white. By Indian and white. But I know that isn't true. The world is only broken into two tribes. The people who are assholes and the people who are not."
Some editions, like ISBN 9780316013697, include study guide

Jr is struggling with being a poor Indian. He is given the opportunity to leave the reservation and start a new life outside of the Native American culture. And thus the story goes from chapter to chapter. This books crosses cultures of the Native American and Reardan, a white/christian culture in a rural setting. This story can be used on many fronts in a classroom. Racism, culture boundaries, friendship(Rowdy, Penelope), and having the ability to change your life. A great story with a lot of possibilities in a classroom.

Sherman Alexie tells the story of Junior, a budding cartoonist growing up on the Spokane Indian Reservation. Determined to take his future into his own hands, Junior leaves his troubled school on the rez to attend an all-white farm town high school where the only other Indian is the school mascot. Heartbreaking, funny, and beautifully written, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, which is based on the author's own experiences, coupled with poignant drawings that reflect the character's art, chronicles the contemporary adolescence of one Native American boy as he attempts to break away from the life he thought he was destined to live.

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, Alexie's YA debut, released in hardcover to instant success, recieving seven starred reviews, hitting numerous bestseller lists, and winning the 2007 National Book Award for Young People's Literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:56 -0400)

Budding cartoonist Junior leaves his troubled school on the Spokane Indian Reservation to attend an all-white farm town school where the only other Indian is the school mascot.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,717,665 books! | Top bar: Always visible