The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time…

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian (original 2007; edition 2009)

by Sherman Alexie

Title:The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian
Authors:Sherman Alexie
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 288 pages

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie (2007)

Recently added byWoola68, AFYW_Library, private library, zabell1, bebonee, BHHSLIBRARY, ecataldi, RyanSamonek, rohkotsi
    Reservation Blues by Sherman Alexie (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Contemporary fiction about searching for identity
    Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison (Othemts)
    The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (bbudke)
    The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint by Brady Udall (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: A similar story for older teens/adults. Edgar is an American Indian orphan coming of age.
    Kira-Kira by Cynthia Kadohata (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: There are many similarities of theme, not the least of which are loss and identity.
    Red Sky at Morning by Richard Bradford (mysterymax)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Riding Invisible by Sandra Alonzo (meggyweg)
    A Step From Heaven by An Na (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: Different in feel altogether from Diary, but also another good novel about entering and adjusting to predominantly white-American culture
    Broken Glass Park by Alina Bronsky (Anonymous user)
    Dakota Dream by James W. Bennett (meggyweg)

English (639)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (643)
I loved this book I could eat it so! I read this in one sitting at the bar. I started reading it during commercials during the Colts game but soon it became apparent that this was waay better. I literally could not put it down and devoured this in two hours. I already want to re-read it. It made me laugh out loud and snigger multiple times and also made me tear up. Junior's observations about growing up on the rez, racism, basketballs, girls, being poor, best friends, and alcoholism are revalatory. The accompanying illustrations only add to the story. This is a book I will buy and most definitely re-read. A wonderful, fascinating, and heartbreaking look at life on an Indian reservation. Partially based on the author's childhood experiences, you can't but help to root for this kid. A wonderful young adult novel and very deserving of the National Book Award it received. ( )
  ecataldi | Oct 24, 2016 |
First impression of True Diary by just the cover and the inside pages is that this is a book for a much younger audience. But that belief is certainly not true, in fact I would go as far as to say, this is a book for everyone and anyone, whether your young, old, or in-between. The subject matters talked about in this story runs the gamut from mild to sometimes pretty dark, and yet somehow told from a place of lightheartedness and humor. I've never used this phrase in a review before, but I was blown away by Mr. Alexie's storytelling. I loved how easy and uncomplicated the story flowed, and the way it was delivered in first-person narrative made me felt like I was sitting in front of Junior as he tells me his story.

Junior was born with a lot medical issues, physical and speech impediments which made life living on the Rez difficult. He was picked on and bullied by everyone. Life on the Rez is hard and most of the residents don't have much of a future to aspire to, no hope or dreams to look forward to. Junior's life seems to be headed down this path, but with some good advice, he decides to have hope and do the unthinkable and unforgivable, by going off Rez for a better education. Following Junior's journey I got to see a smart, witty, and determined young mans coming of age struggle with wanting to break the cycle of accepting the status quo and expecting more for yourself.

Don't know how much of this story is autobiographical, (as stated on book jacket, based on the authors experiences) but I have no idea if life on the Indian Reservations of today are really how it's portrayed in this book. If that's the case, then I thank the author for opening my eyes and bringing it to my attention. I feel very ashamed that I knew none of this, definitely an eye opener.

Alcoholism, abuse, death, poverty, all very heavy topics, which made it that more unexpected that I would find myself laughing so much. Illustrator Ellen Forney did a fantastic job depicting Junior's life, fears and frustrations with her drawings, which along with Junior's humor helped bring a lightness to a story with such heavy topics. These little graphics added a lot of feeling to the story, though some of them got pretty dark there at times, it really helped to put me in the mindset of Junior.

You will be choked up, angry, laughing etc., as you devour this book. I really appreciated Mr. Alexie's honesty in his storytelling. I liked that he didn't hold back on how Non-Native Americans are seen and thought of. I also learned a lot about a culture that I find very fascinating and mystical, it was an eye opener to learn that the story is not always as shiny and enchanting as what you see on the outside. ( )
  GigisIrieReads | Oct 21, 2016 |
This novel is appropriate for a late middle or early high school student. While some of the themes are very appropriate for kids who are just entering middle school, there are more that are suitable for a more mature audience.
I love Sherman Alexie's writing. Through his semi-autobiographical works, he is very honest about his life and his culture, as well as how he has been treated because of it. This book is no exception. I highly recommend this book.
  hcchilders | Oct 6, 2016 |
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian is a funny and moving novel that you can read in one day. Sherman Alexie did a fantastic job narrating the audiobook. I completely understand why over 147,000 readers rated this at an average of 4.11 stars on Goodreads.

Here’s the summary: ”Bestselling author Sherman Alexie tells the story of Junior, a budding cartoonist growing up on the Spokane Indian Reservation. Determined to take his future into his own hands, Junior leaves his troubled school on the rez to attend an all-white farm town high school where the only other Indian is the school mascot.

Heartbreaking, funny, and beautifully written, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, which is based on the author's own experiences, coupled with poignant drawings by Ellen Forney that reflect the character's art, chronicles the contemporary adolescence of one Native American boy as he attempts to break away from the life he was destined to live.

With a forward by Markus Zusak, interviews with Sherman Alexie and Ellen Forney, and four-color interior art throughout, this edition is perfect for fans and collectors alike.

Arnold Spirit, Jr. AKA “Junior” was born with hydrocephalus and an extra-large head, which makes him an easy target for teasing. School is difficult enough when you can blend in with the “normal” crowd, but social issues arise when you’re physically or mentally different. On top of all this, Junior’s parents were alcoholics. Sherman Alexie handles this sensitive subject with grace and humor. Junior could have played on people’s sympathies and played the disability card, but he chose to make light of the life he was given. He still had ambitions in life and made a bold move to attend the all-white high school. He used cartooning as a way to deal with life, but he also found joy in it.

I just love the overall attitude of the novel. It sends an inspiring message to people that just because life dealt you a bad hand doesn’t mean that you have to give up on life. You may have more obstacles or have to start out further back than other people do, but you can still get to where you want to be in life.

This story is also about the test of friendship and inner strength. Junior had to stay strong when everyone literally turned their backs on him. His response to this challenge showed his true character. This is when he found out who his friends really are.

Everything I know about Native Americans I learned from the Twilight series. Don’t laugh. I’m serious. This book won the American Indian Library Association Award, which I didn’t know existed. Of course, being the Google researcher that I am, I had to look it up. I immediately saw some interesting reads on their website. If you’d like to find other award winning American Indian novels, you can see their list here.

This is a story that will make you laugh and feel warm and fuzzy inside. This is a must-read.

JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
I truly hate to give this book 2 stars, but I have to be honest, it is my opinion. The voice is absolutely wonderful, and I think that is what has driven its popularity. But as far as content goes, it is merely a coming-of-age story for her young Indian who left the reservation to go to a white dominated school. It is rife with tragedy as well as happiness. This is the best review that I can give it. ( )
  Deankut | Sep 26, 2016 |
Working in the voice of a 14-year-old forces Alexie to strip everything down to action and emotion, so that reading becomes more like listening to your smart, funny best friend recount his day while waiting after school for a ride home.

Sherman Alexieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Forney, EllenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is another world, but it is in this one. --W.B. Yeats
For Wellpinit and Reardon, my hometowns
I was born with water on the brain. Okay, so that's not exactly true. I was actually born with too much cerebral spinal fluid inside my skull. But cerebral spinal fluid is just the doctors' fancy way of saying brain grease.
"No, I'm serious. I always knew you were going to leave. I always knew you were going to leave us behind and travel the world. I had this dream about you a few months ago. You were standing on the Great Wall of China. You looked happy. And I was happy for you."
During one week when I was little, Dad got stopped three times for DWI: Driving While Indian.
“Son,” Mr. P. said. “You’re going to find more and more hope the farther and farther you walk away from this sad, sad, sad reservation.”
I'd always been the lowest Indian on the reservation totem pole-- I wasn't expected to be good so I wasn't. But in Reardan, my coach and the other players wanted me to be good. They needed me to be good. They expected me to be good. And so I became good.
"I used to think the world was broken down by tribes," I said. "By black and white. By Indian and white. But I know that isn't true. The world is only broken into two tribes. The people who are assholes and the people who are not."
Some editions, like ISBN 9780316013697, include study guide

Jr is struggling with being a poor Indian. He is given the opportunity to leave the reservation and start a new life outside of the Native American culture. And thus the story goes from chapter to chapter. This books crosses cultures of the Native American and Reardan, a white/christian culture in a rural setting. This story can be used on many fronts in a classroom. Racism, culture boundaries, friendship(Rowdy, Penelope), and having the ability to change your life. A great story with a lot of possibilities in a classroom.

Sherman Alexie tells the story of Junior, a budding cartoonist growing up on the Spokane Indian Reservation. Determined to take his future into his own hands, Junior leaves his troubled school on the rez to attend an all-white farm town high school where the only other Indian is the school mascot. Heartbreaking, funny, and beautifully written, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, which is based on the author's own experiences, coupled with poignant drawings that reflect the character's art, chronicles the contemporary adolescence of one Native American boy as he attempts to break away from the life he thought he was destined to live.

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, Alexie's YA debut, released in hardcover to instant success, recieving seven starred reviews, hitting numerous bestseller lists, and winning the 2007 National Book Award for Young People's Literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:14 -0400)

Budding cartoonist Junior leaves his troubled school on the Spokane Indian Reservation to attend an all-white farm town school where the only other Indian is the school mascot.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,831,422 books! | Top bar: Always visible