dismiss

Ashes of Victory (Honor Harrington Series,…

Ashes of Victory (Honor Harrington Series, Book 9) (edition 2001)

by David Weber

The People's Republic of Haven made a tiny mistake when it announced the execution of Honor Harrington. It seemed safe enough. After all, she was already dead. Unfortunately, they were wrong. Now Honor has escaped from the prison planet called Hell and returned to the Manticoran Alliance with a few friends. Almost half a million of them, to be precise including some who know what really happened when the Committee of Public Safety seized power in the PRH. Honor's return from the dead comes at a critical time, providing a huge, much-needed lift for the Allies' morale, for the war is rapidly entering a decisive phase. Both sides believe that victory lies within their grasp at last, but dangers no one could foresee await them both. New weapons, new strategies, new tactics, spies, diplomacy, and assassination all are coming into deadly focus, and Honor Harrington, the woman the newsies call "the Salamander," once more finds herself at the heart of them all. But this time, the furnace may be too furious for even a salamander to survive.… (more)
Member:sablebadger
Title:Ashes of Victory (Honor Harrington Series, Book 9)
Authors:David Weber
Info:Baen (2001), Mass Market Paperback
Tags:scifi

Ashes of Victory by David Weber

English (11)  Swedish (1)  All languages (12)
To my mind, this book marks the turning point where Weber's writing tics start to actively interfere with my enjoyment of the books-- his dialogue gets more info-dumpy, all his characters sound the same, and we spend way too much time hopping all over the place. ( )
  being_b | Jan 8, 2020 |
I truly loved this book, in part because I got to see more of what happened behind the scenes of the war. Honor's relationship with her mother shone through, laced with love, affection, and friendship. In some ways, the book can be summed up in this quotation: Everything in the universe demanded its own price . . . and the greater a gift, the higher the price it carried.

Another theme was the price of fanaticism can be quite high. Watching someone get played because of his fanaticism, was painful, especially as the evil became more apparent. It saddens me when someone is blinded by hatred.

The final theme is this one as expressed by Honor: "But that will be the third thing that supports you in battle, Ladies and Gentlemen: the knowledge that your people will die uselessly if you screw up. It's not your job to keep them alive at all costs. It's your job to be certain they don't die for nothing." Keeping faith with those who have died is important in this book. I hope it will be in the next one as well.

This is not the place to start reading the series. If you like military SF, start with On Basilisk Station. Be aware that by this point, there are a lot of political undercurrents. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Mar 20, 2019 |
Ashes of Victory is an excellent follow up to Echoes of Honor. I loved it. So much happens in this book that your head just swims. There are some real shockers too. This book is probably a turning point in the series. At least that's what I'm guessing.

So, Honor is back on Grayson from her stay on the Haven prison planet of Hades and she's a massive hero there and on Manticore as well. Hell, all over the entire Alliance. Everyone's spirits are lifted. And Haven recognizes they have a PR disaster on their hands after they had announced -- and shown -- her execution. Manticore's Queen Elizabeth calls Honor to Manticore to meet with her and, since Honor's title had shifted to her cousin since she had been assumed dead, to give her the title of Duchess and a new and huge estate. Additionally, the Navy asks her to teach tactics at the Academy and finally does the right thing by jumping her three slots from Commodore to full Admiral. She's stunned and honored. She also has the nerve damage in her face repaired, her lost eye replaced, and her lost arm replaced by a prosthetic arm she clumsily has to learn to use from scratch. But she's well on her way to being back to full health. Nimitz, too, has surgery and is physically repaired, although they're still trying to figure out a way for him to regain his empath abilities. And Honor has a specialist teach the tree cats, and the humans, sign language so they can all talk, and boy do they talk.

Meanwhile, Haven's Admiral McQueen remains on the offensive, if somewhat cautiously. However, Saint-Just decides to move on his perception of McQueen's ambition and many Navy personnel wind up dead as a result. This, after Haven top man Pierre is assassinated. Saint-Just is the only Committee member left and takes over as dictator. At the same time, Manticore finally decides to go back on the offensive with its new and mighty secret weapons they've been developing for the past few years and their offensive is completely destructive. Haven has no chance. However, as I said, there are some shockers in the book and both systems experience massive system changes that will change everything in the military and political dynamics for both. It's somewhat mind blowing and totally unexpected. The ending of the book, like virtually all Honor Harrington books, is tension filled, fast paced, and action packed. It's very exciting to read and experience. Now I'm looking forward to the next book. Again. I seem to say that with every Honor book I review. From what I understand, however, things change in the series from battles and naval engagements to politics and I'm not entirely thrilled with that, but I'm still going to read. I'm really into the series. I think it's quite good and I think the Honor character is a very good character. If reading the series in order like one must, this book is highly recommended. ( )
  scottcholstad | Sep 22, 2015 |
baen ebook
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
Honor Harrington -- no space battles this time, all backstory and political machinations
  FKarr | Apr 8, 2013 |

David Weberprimary authorall editionscalculated
Buzzard, MadelynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Isler, RussellIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Johnson, AllysonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mattingly, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peddicord, HunterIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Admiral Lady Dame Honor Harrington stood in the gallery of ESN Farnese's boat bay and tried not to reel as the silent emotional hurricane thundered about her.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,600,573 books! | Top bar: Always visible