Home to Holly Springs (Father Tim, Book 1)…

Home to Holly Springs (Father Tim, Book 1) (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Jan Karon

Member:BeFranks
Title:Home to Holly Springs (Father Tim, Book 1)
Authors:Jan Karon
Info:Viking Adult (2007), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Your library, Already Read

Home to Holly Springs by Jan Karon (2007)

English (48)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  All languages (50)
Father Tim, beloved American Episcopalian priest of the nine-volume Mitford series, is now 70. In this book he returns to visit the small town where he grew up, after an absence of 40 years. He goes because of a cryptic note he received in the mail, and hopes he might manage to catch up with some old friends and perhaps even exorcise a few demons of the past.

I found it a bit slow-going at first, made all the more difficult by a lot of dialogue in an accent that isn't familiar to me. The story changes frequently from present to past and back again, filling in some of the details of Tim's childhood and teenage years, and helping us make sense of the people he meets or hears about. I found this worked well, on the whole, although it was hard to keep track of some of the characters.

However, by about half way through the pace picked up, and I found myself becoming more and more interested. I suppose the plot has slightly too many coincidences.. but it was well enough written that none of them seemed unbelievable. The main dramatic revelation, when it came, was something I had been expecting for a chapter or two so it didn't seem unrealistic.

People who haven't read the Mitford series probably wouldn't find this at all interesting, and those who like Mitford only for the small-town niceness might find this one a bit psychologically complex and murky. But for anyone who would like to know more about this delightful priest and his background, I'd definitely recommend it. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
This is book 1 of the Father Tim series. Father Tim goes home again and finds many connections he didn’t even know he sought. He also makes peace with the memory of his father, and discovers the truth behind many boyhood mysteries. Audio book narrator Scott Sowers “young” voice isn’t quite right for Father Tim and others of his generation, but he does an okay job of other characters. 3* story / 2* narration. ( )
  BookConcierge | Jan 22, 2016 |
Heartwarming story that makes you feel good. ( )
  kbmom | Jan 16, 2016 |
Thirty-eight years after he left, Father Tim returns to Holly Springs, Mississippi. He is drawn back to his childhood home after he receives a 2 word note with no signature asking him to "come home". This proves to be the absolute right thing to do. He meets up with people from his past. He makes new friends and finds a relative he never knew existed. This is a life changing event for him. A good read! ( )
  love2cook | Nov 22, 2015 |
The Mitford novels is one of my favorite series, so of course I needed to catch up with Fr. Tim in this. (Although I'm a bit confused as to why it's called a different series, what with the same characters and same story lines carried forward.) Here we get to find out a bit about Fr. Tim's childhood and his family of origin when he goes back home in response to a cryptic note. Many of the old places and people are still there, and we discover both light and dark in his past. I enjoyed reading it for (a) the insight into a favorite character and (b) it has its own interesting story that can carry a book itself. As always, the colorful characters surrounding Fr. Tim light up the novel. I will admit, though, that Cynthia is beginning to irritate me; even in the eyes of her beloved, no one can be that perfect. ( )
  TerriBooks | Jul 17, 2015 |

Readers of the nine bestselling Mitford novels have been captivated by Jan Karon?s ?gift for illuminating the struggles that creep into everyday lives?along with a vividly imagined world? (People). They learned quickly that ?after you?ve spent time in Mitford, you?ll want to come back? (Chicago Tribune). Millions eagerly awaited the publication of each novel, relishing the story of the bookish and bighearted Episcopal priest and the extraordinary fullness of his seemingly ordinary life.

Now, Jan Karon enchants us with the story of the newly retired priest?s spur-of-the-moment adventure. For the first time in decades, Father Tim returns to his birthplace, Holly Springs, Mississippi, in response to a mysterious, unsigned note saying simply: ?Come home.? Little does he know how much these two words will change his life. A story of long-buried secrets, forgiveness, and the wonder of discovering new people, places, and depth of feeling, Home to Holly Springs will enthrall new readers and longtime fans alike.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:32 -0400)

Lured by a mysterious note, recently retired Father Tim heads for his boyhood home of Holly Springs, Mississippi. But as memories flood his mind, he soon encounters a life-altering truth and receives a gift that could cost him everything.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,820,101 books! | Top bar: Always visible