Home to Holly Springs (Father Tim, Book 1)…

Home to Holly Springs (Father Tim, Book 1) (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Jan Karon

1,208476,620 (3.93)36
Title:Home to Holly Springs (Father Tim, Book 1)
Authors:Jan Karon
Info:Viking Adult (2007), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Your library, Already Read

Home to Holly Springs by Jan Karon (2007)

English (45)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  All languages (47)
The Mitford novels is one of my favorite series, so of course I needed to catch up with Fr. Tim in this. (Although I'm a bit confused as to why it's called a different series, what with the same characters and same story lines carried forward.) Here we get to find out a bit about Fr. Tim's childhood and his family of origin when he goes back home in response to a cryptic note. Many of the old places and people are still there, and we discover both light and dark in his past. I enjoyed reading it for (a) the insight into a favorite character and (b) it has its own interesting story that can carry a book itself. As always, the colorful characters surrounding Fr. Tim light up the novel. I will admit, though, that Cynthia is beginning to irritate me; even in the eyes of her beloved, no one can be that perfect. ( )
  TerriBooks | Jul 17, 2015 |
After more than 38 years, Father Tim Kavanagh returns to his childhood home of Holly Springs, Mississippi, on a profoundly personal journey. That journey leads him to a truth that changes his life - forever.
  kristi_test_01 | Apr 15, 2015 |
this was a goooood book. we got to know the REAL father tim. we got to see the imperfections behind the man. him without his wife and friends. very interesting and page turning. ( )
  lhaines56 | Oct 8, 2014 |
A bit of a spoiler - don't read this review if you don't want the ending spoiled.

I like the Mitford, Father Tim books for their gentle, easy-going familiarity with a touch of humor. This one is a bit edgier, a bit darker, with ancient demons from Father Tim's childhood that he must meet and resolve. He is still the same Father Tim that we have come to know and love, and he bravely takes each discovery with prayer and grace. All the loose ends tie up neatly and Father Tim finds peace in his heart as he prepares to save the life of his new-found brother. ( )
  FancyHorse | Jan 3, 2014 |
I read this for a book discussion at work. I have never read Jan Karon before. I think my group will like it. The subject was interesting enough and maybe I was just not into the book and missed some things. I thought it was confusing and it switched from the present to the past, suddenly. Once he found Peggy I really enjoyed the book, just too much leading up to it. ( )
  dara85 | Nov 23, 2013 |

Readers of the nine bestselling Mitford novels have been captivated by Jan Karon?s ?gift for illuminating the struggles that creep into everyday lives?along with a vividly imagined world? (People). They learned quickly that ?after you?ve spent time in Mitford, you?ll want to come back? (Chicago Tribune). Millions eagerly awaited the publication of each novel, relishing the story of the bookish and bighearted Episcopal priest and the extraordinary fullness of his seemingly ordinary life.

Now, Jan Karon enchants us with the story of the newly retired priest?s spur-of-the-moment adventure. For the first time in decades, Father Tim returns to his birthplace, Holly Springs, Mississippi, in response to a mysterious, unsigned note saying simply: ?Come home.? Little does he know how much these two words will change his life. A story of long-buried secrets, forgiveness, and the wonder of discovering new people, places, and depth of feeling, Home to Holly Springs will enthrall new readers and longtime fans alike.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:32 -0400)

Lured by a mysterious note, recently retired Father Tim heads for his boyhood home of Holly Springs, Mississippi. But as memories flood his mind, he soon encounters a life-altering truth and receives a gift that could cost him everything.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,722,604 books! | Top bar: Always visible