Field of Dishonor (Honor Harrington Series,…

Field of Dishonor (Honor Harrington Series, Book 4) (original 1994; edition 1994)

by David Weber

Member:Balkan
Title:Field of Dishonor (Honor Harrington Series, Book 4)
Authors:David Weber
Info:Baen (1994), Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Science Fiction

Field of Dishonor by David Weber (1994)

Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey (bunnygirl)
    bunnygirl: I know, the base subjects (military sf vs. semi-erotic fantasy) are different, but if you're one of those who love the character dynamic between Honor and Andrew LaFollet, the protagonist and her bodyguard are quite similar...but with a quite different ending.… (more)

English (10)  Swedish (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (12)
Oh, this is fun. I knew what was coming, but it was still well done. These books are formulaic: Honor gets into the trick bag through no fault of her own, sticks to her guns despite pressure otherwise, & goes on to kick ass. She doesn't always come out fully on top & has picked up an impressive set of lumps, but she always triumphs. Cool.

Weber still insists on info dumping background info. Characters suddenly muse to fill us in. 10 minutes is a LONG freaking time & really makes me appreciate the ability to skim through pages. Luckily, I'm doing something else, so I tend to zone out & don't have to bother fast forwarding, although I did a time or two.

This format certainly isn't for everyone, but the reader did an even better job this time. There were far fewer mispronunciations. I'm not sure if I'm getting used to her weird accents or she's eased up on them, but I didn't find them as jarring. Good & bad guys can have French accents, some from the same planet have different accents, too. Oh well, at least I can tell them apart. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
It is such a relief to see some villains starting to get some depth, like Georgia Sakristos and Rob Pierre. Even the Republic has a little more depth, even as Honor loses some. I still love this series, but it can seem so cardboardy sometimes. ( )
  lyrrael | May 18, 2014 |
baen ebook
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
Finally a well written book without a space battle! Very good character development as well as plot. We get a view of the workings of the constitutional monarchy that rules Manticore and the politics that take place. All in all a very satisfying book. ( )
  BobVTReader | Aug 3, 2012 |
More Harrington, good as ever, with political intrigue by scumbag noblemen thrown in for spice. ( )
  raypratt | Aug 21, 2011 |

David Weberprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bury, FlorenceTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruddell, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Slovak Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
"It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect . . . the planning of operations."
Field Marshal Erwin Rommel
160 Ante-Diaspora (1943 C.E.)
It was very quiet in the huge, dimly lit room. The Advanced Tactical Training Course's main lecture hall boasted the second largest holo tank of the Royal Manticoran Navy, and the rising, amphitheaterlike seats facing the tank seated over two thousand a full capacity.

Captain Honor Harrington returns home to Manticore, where she is caught up in an unexpected political crisis and becomes the target of revenge for her enemy, Pavel Young, whom she helped get dismissed from the navy.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,285,444 books! | Top bar: Always visible