Flag in Exile by David Weber

Flag in Exile (1995)

by David Weber

Series: Honor Harrington (5), Honor Harrington Universe (5)

English (14)  Swedish (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (16)
This is another good Honor Harrington book, the fifth of the series. In it, she's lost her commission in the Manticoran navy due to her duel with arch-enemy Pavel Young, in which she legally killed him, and is now on half pay. She has retreated to the planet of Grayson, where she has been made a Homesteader, something akin to a governor of her own state. She's been awarded their highest honor for saving their planet from an invasion a few years ago and is much loved and respected by many. But not all. See, Grayson is backwards. It's a patriarchal, religious zealotry-based world where women are respected, but they are expected to stay home, barefoot and pregnant. And the church, while not the official ruling body, controls much of what goes on. So Honor has a lot to learn and the people of Grayson have a lot to learn about her. Fortunately, the leader of the planet has been offworld and has seen what there is to offer and is determined to bring about reforms to his planet, in terms of technology and women's roles.

When we see Honor, she is trying to recover from her lover's murder in the previous book. And she's having to endure demonstrations at the entrance to her capital, people who have been bused in from other homesteads with signs calling her a harlot, etc. Her people don't like it, as they like and respect her, but little can be done about it. Meanwhile, the navy has been refitting some superdreadnaughts captured from a battle with Haven, given to them by Manticore, which will beef up their fleet significantly. However, they lack experienced captains and officers. So, the commanding admiral asks permission to ask Honor to take over and join the navy. She thinks it over and agrees. She's surprised to find that they've made her an admiral and have given her her own squadron of superdreadnaughts and support craft.

Before she goes up to her new ship, there's a community party, which is interrupted by an outsider priest, who screams maddening insults at her, even as the leading religious figure is there with her. This man goes too far, however, and the crowd beats him up, only to be saved at Honor's command by her guards. The church strips this man of his office and his homesteader, and religious fanatic if I've ever seen one, is livid. He arrests the new priest sent to his community and reinstalls the disgraced priest who has been barred. The world's leader is ticked, but he feels there is little he can do.

Honor has invested in a venture called Sky Domes to build domes over the cities to protect them from the harsh environment. The evil homesteader has gotten some of his men into the work crew and sabotages the project, causing a dome to collapse, killing 32 children and over 70 adults. All of a sudden, all of Grayson is against her and he is elated. However, her engineers know it couldn't have happened by accident and they pour over video and details and discover the sabotage, finding the perpetrator and alerting Honor and the president. Honor is on her ship with the religious leader and her lead engineer. The president calls a secret, closed meeting of the "Keys," the Steaders. They don't know what it's about, but it can't be good because that never happens. On their way from her ship to the ground, two assassins get onto her airfield and fire a surface to air missile, blowing up her craft and killing a number of people. She survives. One of the assassins comes looking for her and points his gun at her head. Just as he pulls the trigger, someone leaps in front of Honor, saving her and dying for her in the process. It is the world's religious leader. When the assassin sees this, he is dumbstruck and gives himself up because he knows he is now going to Hell. He signs a detailed confession and the president calls a new secret meeting of the Keys and announces he is charging a member of the body with treason and murder and the crowd gasps. Honor walks into the chamber and the president charges the religious nut. Just as he is about to be hauled away, this guy invokes a little used rule that allows him to challenge his accuser or his accuser's champion to a duel by sword. He's a grand champion. He knows he will kill Honor. Honor slices the shit out of him. It was awesome to see him die.

So she returns to her ship to rest and relax. She's been up and going for something like 36 hours. She has four broken ribs. She has cuts and bruises. After one hour of sleep, however, she is woken. There's an emergency. Radar shows an incoming fleet of about 160 star ships. They're being invaded by Haven. All she has is her six superdreadnaughts, several battleships, and some cruisers. How will she survive? Does she survive? You'll have to read the book to find out.

The reason why this is a good book in the series is because we get to see Honor displaying all sorts of emotions, for once. Normally, she's something like a robot. Here's she's fragile, scared, elated, excited, angry, sad, etc, and it fills her character out more so than in previous books. I like that. Now I'm eager to read the next book in the series. If you haven't read any Honor Harrington books, I suggest you start with the first one, although this probably stands on its own. Nonetheless, recommended. ( )
  scottcholstad | Jul 24, 2015 |
I picked this book up at a library sale and I'm glad I did! This picks up the story of Honor Harrington on her adopted world of Grayson. This is as much a political novel as it is Weber's standard military sci-fi. Honor has brought change to Grayson and not everyone likes it. At the same time, the war between the Star League and the People's Republic continues. I thought the way Weber handled the politics was good, but a bit predictable as it felt like the end result was inevitable. I guess its difficult to write a novel of political intrigue if you know that somehow in the end, the heroine is going to end up winning. Maybe he should take a hint from G. R. R. Martin and have the heroine actually lose once in a while. Otherwise, this was well written and well paced, if entirely predictable. ( )
  Karlstar | Feb 22, 2015 |
Another fun adventure. Poor old Honor is pushed to the max this time & it was well done. Info dumps got pretty old, though.

While my library has more of the series in audio, they're missing the next 3, so I'm going to quit listening to the series now. 6 were plenty, but it was a fun romp even though I'd read them all in paper before. There weren't any surprises, but it was still fun. Congrats to Weber for creating such heroine. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
In some ways, I think this book is just as strong as the first; death-rides meet politics. In others, I really think Harrington's becoming super-human, and it bugs me. Additionally, the Peep characters really gain some depth in this book, but I'm still sad to say that there isn't a lot to redeem the religious extremists that pit themselves against Harrington. I dunno why I'm so picky about villains that have something to redeem them; maybe it's just that I can't believe that anyone would truly be evil simply for evil's sake.

Good read either way. ( )
  lyrrael | May 18, 2014 |
baen ebook
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |

David Weberprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bury, FlorenceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Johnson, AllysonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mattingly, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruddell, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Slovak Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
To Roger Zelazny---
A gentleman, a scholar, a story-teller,
and a friend I didn't know long enough
Admiral of the Green Hamish Alexander, Thirteenth Earl of White Haven, sat on HMS Queen Caitrin's flag deck and gazed into his display.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled, or dead?"

Struggling to deal with her lover's murder and forced retirement, Captain Honor Harrington assumes the role of Steadholder on the planet Grayson, but a threatening uprising calls her back into duty as head of the Grayson navy.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,049,781 books! | Top bar: Always visible