dismiss

Flag in Exile (Honor Harrington Book 5) by…

Flag in Exile (Honor Harrington Book 5) (edition 2002)

by David Weber

1,919195,952 (4.02)23
Hounded into retirement and disgrace by political enemies, cut to the heart by the murder of the man she loved, and bereft of confidence in herself and her abilities, Captain Honor Harrington has retreated to the planet Grayson to take up her role as Steadholder while she tries to heal her bitter wounds. But the People's Republic of Haven is rising from defeat to threaten Grayson anew, and the newborn Grayson Navy needs her experience desperately. It's a call Honor cannot refuse, yet even as she once more accepts the duty whose challenges she fears she can no longer meet, powerful men who hate and fear the changes she's brought to their world are determined to reverse them. They have a plan...and for it to succeed Honor Harrington must die. Two irresistible forces are rushing together to crush Grayson between them, and only one woman--uncertain of her capabilities, weary unto death, and marked for murder--stands between her adopted planet and its devastation.… (more)
Member:sablebadger
Title:Flag in Exile (Honor Harrington Book 5)
Authors:David Weber
Info:Baen (2002), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback
Tags:scifi

Flag in Exile by David Weber

Recently added bywalrii, kombuchahucha, private library, marvinnewcomb, Fosha, Evamaren, wildwily, Darasuum

English (17)  Swedish (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (19)
Tras retirarse a Grayson, Honor no puede librarse de la guerra entre Haven y Manticore, y debe acudir como Almirante jefe de la armada de Grayson para evitar ser aplastada entre dos mundos. ( )
  Remocpi | Apr 22, 2020 |
The series is back in shape after that horrible Field of Dishonor. ( )
  perjonsson | Jun 10, 2019 |
Trigger warning: EXTREME toxic masculinity

Last year I started the reread of the Honor Harrington Series through the audio books. These are actually expanded versions from the originals I read, so in a way it is like reading them new again. Not all the new details are found needed, but they're there now. Flag in Exile is book 5 of the series and we greet our heroine on Grayson after months of convalescing from the fall out of book 4.

The expanded versions have allowed Weber to add more details on his opinions of politics, extreme belief, religion, and moderation. At times, Honor does feel like a Mary Sue or an author's avatar, but at other times, she doesn't. Much of this book deals with the bigots who can't handle change. It hit home harder than I expected and actually triggered some internal issues for me.

On one hand, it's been so long since I've read this book, this is like reading it for the first time. I don't remember much of this book. On the other hand, I wonder how much I blocked out, as I hear relatives and others of similar political minds behind the rants of the primary bad guys. I hear the ultra conservative ranting about how the secular is destroying the religious and destroying things... This is rather a poignant book for this time...

In the end, the main character triumphs, however, the overall feel of the book is oppressive, hateful, and just not the same feel as the rest of the series. It feels like a completely different writer wrote this book for David Weber. ( )
  gilroy | Feb 11, 2019 |
This book spoke to me, somewhere deep. I fell in love with the Graysons, at least the ones on the side of good. I think the theme for the Graysons is this quotation: Nor do we always remember how limited our perceptions are compared to His, and that He, unlike us, sees to the hearts of all people and knows His own, however strange and different they may appear to us.

I also felt that Honor was far more human in this book. I got to see her emotions and her drive make her be the best Steadholder she could be. Her caring for all the people under her command, be it civilian or military shines through.

I will issue a tissue warning. To say more would be a spoiler. I did have a gut-felt moment of exultation when Honor dealt justice in the Protector's name.

If you like military science fiction or just well-written, page-turning science fiction with a dose of political machinations, then this book is for you. I would strongly suggest starting at the beginning of the series. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Jan 27, 2019 |
I feel like without the rousing battle scene, this would have shaded over into the 'overly bombastic' category. ( )
  picklefactory | Jan 16, 2018 |

David Weberprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bury, FlorenceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Buzzard, MadelynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Johnson, AllysonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mattingly, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruddell, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Slovak Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
To Roger Zelazny---
A gentleman, a scholar, a story-teller,
and a friend I didn't know long enough
Admiral of the Green Hamish Alexander, Thirteenth Earl of White Haven, sat on HMS Queen Caitrin's flag deck and gazed into his display.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled, or dead?"

HONOR HARRINGTON MUST DIE

But the People's Republic of Haven is rising from defeat to threaten Grayson anew, and the newborn Grayson Navy needs her experience desperately. It's a call Honor cannot refuse, yet even as she once more accepts the duty whose challenges she fears she can no longer meet, powerful men who hate and fear the changes she's brought to their world are determined to reverse them. They have a plan ... and for it to succeed Honor Harrington must die.

Two irresistible forces are rushing together to crush Grayson between them, and only one woman uncertain of her capabilities, weary unto death, and marked for murder-stands between her adopted planet and its devastation.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,601,482 books! | Top bar: Always visible