In Enemy Hands by David Weber

In Enemy Hands (1997)

by David Weber

Series: Honor Harrington (7), Honor Harrington Universe (7)

English (5)  Swedish (1)  All languages (6)
I loved this Honor Harrington book and judging by its 4.20 (out of 5) score on Goodreads, so did a lot of other people. This is the seventh book in the series and they probably need to be read in order to benefit the most from the books. This book is very different from other Honor H books. We see less Honor and more of her crew, secondary characters, for example. They play the main roles in this novel. We see Honor actually lose a battle for the first time and surrender to a Haven ship, be taken into captivity, tortured, and sentenced to die. This is all new stuff and somewhat unexpected. We also meet Honor's physician mother who comes to Grayson to start a geneticist clinic and who is on the cutting edge of fashion and sexuality in good old fashioned Grayson. It's pretty funny. We also meet a bunch of new tree cats and see Nimitz and Samantha's kittens. Unfortunately, we also get to experience the pain Nimitz feels when he is beaten while aboard the Havenite ship. Additionally, the author chose to inject the possibility of a romance between Honor and an older superior officer who is married, which I suspect will be seen in future books in the series. I wasn't too fond of this and found it distracting. I also found it somewhat unbelievable. Finally, we get a look at the leaders of Haven, especially the evil Cordelia Ransom, who delights in torturing and killing people with her State Security thugs. She sends Honor and her remaining officers to a prison planet called Hell to die.

Okay. The book started off fairly slowly. I know Weber likes to build up to action in his books, but this was a long buildup. Once the action commenced, however, it was pretty good. It was interesting to find "good" and "honorable" Haven naval personnel who wanted Honor and her crew treated properly as prisoners of war, as opposed to Ransom, who just wanted to torture and kill them. The torture scenes were fairly minimal, but were painful to endure. Just hard to read. The final 100 pages or so, I couldn't put down. It was exciting, nonstop action with an awesome plot twist. The only real odd thing about it is, we don't see Cordelia Ransom at the most critical juncture of the book, which doesn't make sense, and which left me with a bad taste in my mouth, as I wanted revenge. The book ends without a clear resolution, clearly leading to a sequel, which I have and am about to start reading, but I still hate it when authors resort to that strategy. I thought about giving this book four stars because it did have some weaknesses, but it was pretty original and it did hold my attention and it was a pretty dynamic ending, so five stars it is. Recommended. ( )
  scottcholstad | Sep 8, 2015 |
He left us hanging again! This time Honor is stranded on a prison planet.
  FKarr | Apr 21, 2013 |
Jettison the debris, clear the missle tubes, abandon ship. Whatever it takes to stop my eyes from further bleeding.

This is a sad day. I've rated most of these books to this points with 4-stars, with one of them good enough to earn a coveted 5th star. Most of them have infodumps and boring spells, but this one has had nothing else for the first third.

Too many books out there I want to read, so no point in continuing to torturing myself.

I might pick it up again later, but for now I'm resigning my commission.
  Texas_Reaver | Mar 30, 2013 |
Read as an ebook (on my PDA). This makes it _much_ slower than reading paper - not because the reading itself is slower but because I'm much more distractable when I'm reading electronically - read a chapter and go do something else rather than dive into the book and surface when it's done. Took me several weeks to read this. Anyway - love it, as usual (i've probably read this 5-6 times). Very rich and powerful emotions - get deep into Honor (not that that's new) and learn more about some of the Peeps. I love the last line "...they're the ones that are outnumbered!" ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Jan 21, 2008 |
This series is good for what it is: military sci fi based on the Horatio Hornblower series. It has a strong and smart woman protagonist, and an governmental/political back-drop that makes for interesting and fun reading. ( )
  ergativity | May 18, 2007 |

David Weberprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Johnson, AllysonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mattingly, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Slovak Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
For Sharon,
who loves me anyway
"I think it's a mistake—a big one."

When she and her crew are ambushed and taken captive aboard an enemy ship, Honor Harrington finds herself bound for the planet prison named "Hell" and scheduled for execution, forcing Honor to plot the most adventurous escape of her career.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,907,396 books! | Top bar: Always visible