A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway

A Farewell to Arms (1929)

by Ernest Hemingway

Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks (PilgrimJess)
    PilgrimJess: This account comes from a character whom actually fought and so the events first hand.
    Journey to the End of the Night by Louis-Ferdinand Céline (arthurfrayn)
    A Soldier of the Great War by Mark Helprin (AmourFou)
    AmourFou: WWI Italian Front. Also great literature.
    The Fifth Column and Four Stories of The Spanish Civil War by Ernest Hemingway (kxlly)
1920s (4)

English (170)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Norwegian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (186)
Woof - what a depressing book in many ways. I had a love/hate relationship with this book while reading it. The writing style of short and to the point sentences was both appealing and frustrating. I felt that it made the characters a bit too one dimensional, but at the same time helped give a matter-of-factness to the war and the people living through it. I am glad I read this, my first Hemingway, and feel like I understand the point of the hopelessness of war and life of the time. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
I did not enjoy this book as much as I was expecting to. The main characters were just odd. Neither one of them seemed to have any emotion. Catherine displayed emotion, but in odd ways, about odd things, and in a really repetitive manner. I didn't feel anything when she died, because she didn't seem like a real person to me. She was almost like a robot. Henry hardly had any emotion either. Even when he was severely wounded, it was like he didn't even care. I was expecting a lot more "feels" for a book about a wartime romance. ( )
  Aseleener | Mar 24, 2018 |
I see so many mixed reviews about Hemingway's novels. This was my second book by Hemingway that I have read and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it! It was by no means the perfect read but I really enjoyed the setting and the characters. There were a few times it got a little sluggish but for the most part I really liked this book. ( )
  pennma05 | Jan 29, 2018 |
loved this technicolour rendition of love amidst war ( )
  frahealee | Dec 3, 2017 |
I really didn't like this book at first. I thought the dialogue was...just poorly written. Really simple, or boring. I hated how Rinaldi talked to Tenente, or the conversations between Henry and Catherine - I felt like they were children. However, the second half of the book was really good. I'd give this 3.5 stars if I could...but that's now how goodreads works I suppose. So 3 stars... ( )
  weberam2 | Nov 24, 2017 |
In its sustained, inexorable movement, its throbbing preoccupation with flesh and blood and nerves rather than the fanciful fabrics of intellect, it fulfills the prophecies that his most excited admirers have made about Ernest Hemingway... in its depiction of War, the novel bears comparison with its best predecessors. But it is in the hero's perhaps unethical quitting of the battle line to be with the woman whom he has gotten with child that it achieves its greatest significance.
added by jjlong | editTime (Oct 14, 1929)

It is a moving and beautiful book.

Hemingway, ErnestAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Warren, Robert PennIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Contains

Has the adaptation

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

To G. A. Pfeiffer
In the late summer of that year we lived in a house in a village that looked across the river and the plain to the mountains.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0684801469, Paperback)

As a youth of 18, Ernest Hemingway was eager to fight in the Great War. Poor vision kept him out of the army, so he joined the ambulance corps instead and was sent to France. Then he transferred to Italy where he became the first American wounded in that country during World War I. Hemingway came out of the European battlefields with a medal for valor and a wealth of experience that he would, 10 years later, spin into literary gold with A Farewell to Arms. This is the story of Lieutenant Henry, an American, and Catherine Barkley, a British nurse. The two meet in Italy, and almost immediately Hemingway sets up the central tension of the novel: the tenuous nature of love in a time of war. During their first encounter, Catherine tells Henry about her fiancé of eight years who had been killed the year before in the Somme. Explaining why she hadn't married him, she says she was afraid marriage would be bad for him, then admits:
I wanted to do something for him. You see, I didn't care about the other thing and he could have had it all. He could have had anything he wanted if I would have known. I would have married him or anything. I know all about it now. But then he wanted to go to war and I didn't know.
The two begin an affair, with Henry quite convinced that he "did not love Catherine Barkley nor had any idea of loving her. This was a game, like bridge, in which you said things instead of playing cards." Soon enough, however, the game turns serious for both of them and ultimately Henry ends up deserting to be with Catherine.

Hemingway was not known for either unbridled optimism or happy endings, and A Farewell to Arms, like his other novels (For Whom the Bell Tolls, The Sun Also Rises, and To Have and Have Not), offers neither. What it does provide is an unblinking portrayal of men and women behaving with grace under pressure, both physical and psychological, and somehow finding the courage to go on in the face of certain loss. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:43 -0400)

An American officer in the Italian ambulance corps and an English Red Cross nurse find love on the battlefield during WW I.

Legacy Library: Ernest Hemingway

Ernest Hemingway has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ernest Hemingway's legacy profile.

See Ernest Hemingway's author page.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,678,766 books! | Top bar: Always visible