A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway

A Farewell to Arms (1929)

by Ernest Hemingway

Journey to the End of the Night by Louis-Ferdinand Céline (arthurfrayn)
    Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks (PilgrimJess)
    PilgrimJess: This account comes from a character whom actually fought and so the events first hand.
    A Soldier of the Great War by Mark Helprin (AmourFou)
    AmourFou: WWI Italian Front. Also great literature.
    The Fifth Column and Four Stories of The Spanish Civil War by Ernest Hemingway (kxlly)
1920s (3)

English (159)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Norwegian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Finnish (1)  All (1)  Danish (1)  All (175)
Written in 1929, the novel is very loosely based on Hemingway's service in the Italian ambulance corp during The Great War. As I found with For Whom the Bell Tolls, his writing can be both refreshingly straight, and uninspiring. What hurt this one for me is the 1920s female stereotype, here represented by Catherine Barkley, an English nurse our protagonist Frederic Henry meets after he is severely injured by shrapnel. She quickly becomes his doe-eyed lover, becomes pregnant, and so I begin to suspect things won't end well. The novel is divided into five 'Books', and by far my favorite is Book Four, in which Lieutenant Frederic leads a small group of engineers, frightened women and his fellow drivers, in a frantic retreat from the advancing Austrians. He detours them off the main, clogged, road of retreat, and their desperate flee through muddy farm tracks toward safe ground is well written. His water-borne escape to Switzerland is a tense episode as well. Glad I read this one, but The Old Man and the Sea remains my favorite E.H. ( )
  JamesMScott | Feb 8, 2017 |
This is, of course, a classic book. I'm not sure what writing was like before Hemmingway and his kind, but I found the writing difficult and strange. It got better as the book went on with lots of dialog, but it was still perhaps a product of its time, written in 1929. It is said that Earnest Hemmingway did much to change the style of prose and he won a Nobel Prize for literature. I found both the story and writing lacking, but I'm coming at that from many years past the time this was written and prose has changed a great deal. It's possible that Hemmingway's later works were different.

Classics are always worth reading, but don't expect this book to be like modern writing. The story was repetitious and if the dialog between the main character and his lady were all that happened, it's impossible they would ever get to know each other. It was crazy shallow and funny really. So was some of the dialog between the main character and his war buddies. Despite that, the author did somehow impart what was going on and how terrible war conditions were.

Rascalstar | Jan 21, 2017 |
Fictional account of WWI in the Austrian Alps ( )
  JackSweeney | Jan 10, 2017 |
I know this is a classic, and so thought I would like it more than I did. The writing is clear. But the story of the novel didn’t seem particularly deep or thought-provoking. It was moving at parts but, for example, the relationship between the main character and his love, Catherine Barkley, seemed a little shallow, especially in their dialogue. ( )
  Joe24 | Aug 22, 2016 |
I have mixed feelings about A Farewell to Arms. It starts off rather pedestrian, reading less like a celebrated inter-war novel by a respected author and more like a 'How I spent my summer holidays in wartime Italy' story. The description is, even by Hemingway's 'iceberg' standards, rather sparse. You would think it would be easy to convey the beauty of an Italian town at sunset, yet in the early part of the book such a setting is described thus: It was hot walking through the town but the sun was starting to go down and it was very pleasant." (pg. 17). The book really struggles to get going, and it doesn't seem that Hemingway is yet decided in whether it will develop to be primarily a war novel or a romance novel. Consequently, the anti-war ruminations of the characters feel contrived and the romance angle unconvincing.

The characterisation is also poor throughout. Rinaldi, Henry's male best friend, was presumably intended by Hemingway to be a stereotypical heart-on-his-sleeve, hot-blooded Italian. Instead, partly because he insists on calling Henry 'baby', Rinaldi comes across as aggressively and laughably camp. However, it is the female characters which are particularly poor, spending most of their scenes crying or fretting about making babies. Catherine Barkley, the nurse who serves as the protagonist's love interest, falls in love with Henry rather easily and inexplicably. On an early date, and with only middling small-talk serving as foreplay, she falls weeping into his arms - "'Oh, darling,' she said. 'You will be good to me, won't you?'" (pg. 25) - before beginning to talk about their 'strange' life together. The reader's thoughts are similar to Henry's - what the hell - and unfortunately, whilst other aspects of the novel improve, Catherine never loses this behaviour, constantly fretting over whether she is a 'good girl', and a good wife. "She looked at me very happily. 'I'll do what you want and say what you want and then I'll be a great success, won't I?'" (pg. 96). I could cite many more examples, but it is hard to choose which to share. Simply let the book open on any given page and you'll find a gem. She seems - certainly unintended on the part of the author - to be emotionally-stunted, with a puppyish naïveté about romance: more an overgrown schoolgirl than an independent woman. This makes the subsequent relationship between the two less convincing, which is particularly damaging as it becomes a more prominent storyline as the novel develops.

After the poor start, A Farewell to Arms does settle and allows for some classic Hemingway to shine through. The anti-war musings become less simplistic and Hemingway's patented iceberg approach to description and setting is allowed to thaw. Beginning with the Italian retreat after the Battle of Caporetto, the novel really gets the kick it needs. The disorderly retreat, the panic, Henry cut off, going cross-country, the battle police - all highlights of A Farewell to Arms. Henry becomes disillusioned and deserts (although, it must be said, this seems forced on him rather than being a choice), fleeing with Catherine. "I had the paper but I did not read it because I did not want to read about the war. I was going to forget the war. I had made a separate peace." (pg. 217). The novel becomes a great read by this point, and one can add the encounters with Count Greffi to the list of the novel's highlights. Somewhat surprisingly for a Hemingway novel, by this point some moments of humour pop up, particularly the absurd bickering between the champions of Montreux and Locarno on pages 251-3. In another instance, Henry betrays his unease about deserting, to which Catherine replies: "'Darling, please be sensible. It's not deserting from the army. It's only the Italian army.'" (pg. 224).

These highlights mentioned above, and others, do allow the reader to forgive the disappointment present in the first 100 or so pages of A Farewell to Arms. However, I feel that perhaps the reason I was so forgiving was that I could identify and appreciate classic Hemingway moments, as I have read some of his other works. When I first decided to read a Hemingway novel, I narrowed down my choices to this novel and For Whom the Bell Tolls. I decided on the latter and loved it; if I had chosen Farewell first I might not be such a budding fan, for it is a decidedly imperfect novel. I initially planned to write a review based around the novel's themes, as I had for The Old Man and the Sea and, to a lesser extent, For Whom the Bell Tolls. I decided against it, as although one could analyse the symbolism of the rain, and the themes linking war to childbirth (and the all-important line on page 222 about how "The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places." ), these themes are imperfectly executed and presented. The novel picks up considerably towards the middle, and the ending is a double-gut-punch, but its flaws are easily identifiable. A Farewell to Arms is not one of Hemingway's best works, ranking quite a way behind the later For Whom the Bell Tolls and The Old Man and the Sea, but it is still an above-average novel." ( )
  MikeFutcher | Jun 3, 2016 |
In its sustained, inexorable movement, its throbbing preoccupation with flesh and blood and nerves rather than the fanciful fabrics of intellect, it fulfills the prophecies that his most excited admirers have made about Ernest Hemingway... in its depiction of War, the novel bears comparison with its best predecessors. But it is in the hero's perhaps unethical quitting of the battle line to be with the woman whom he has gotten with child that it achieves its greatest significance.
added by jjlong | editTime (Oct 14, 1929)

It is a moving and beautiful book.

Hemingway, Ernestprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Warren, Robert PennIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Romanzi volume I by Ernest Hemingway

The Novels Of Ernest Hemingway by Ernest Hemingway

Five Novels: The Sun Also Rises / A Farewell to Arms / To Have and Have Not / The Old Man and the Sea / For Whom the Bell Tolls (FOLIO SOCIETY) by Ernest Hemingway

The Sun Also Rises / A Farewell to Arms / The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

Four Book Set (QP) {Complete Short Stories; Farewell to Arms, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Sun Also Rises} by Ernest Hemingway

Ernest Hemingway Book-of-the-Month-Club Set of 6: A Farewell to Arms, A Moveable Feast, For Whom the Bell Tolls, The Sun Also Rises, The Old Man and the Sea, The Complete Short Stories by Ernest Hemingway

Contains

Has the adaptation

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

To G. A. Pfeiffer
In the late summer of that year we lived in a house in a village that looked across the river and the plain to the mountains.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0684801469, Paperback)

As a youth of 18, Ernest Hemingway was eager to fight in the Great War. Poor vision kept him out of the army, so he joined the ambulance corps instead and was sent to France. Then he transferred to Italy where he became the first American wounded in that country during World War I. Hemingway came out of the European battlefields with a medal for valor and a wealth of experience that he would, 10 years later, spin into literary gold with A Farewell to Arms. This is the story of Lieutenant Henry, an American, and Catherine Barkley, a British nurse. The two meet in Italy, and almost immediately Hemingway sets up the central tension of the novel: the tenuous nature of love in a time of war. During their first encounter, Catherine tells Henry about her fiancé of eight years who had been killed the year before in the Somme. Explaining why she hadn't married him, she says she was afraid marriage would be bad for him, then admits:
I wanted to do something for him. You see, I didn't care about the other thing and he could have had it all. He could have had anything he wanted if I would have known. I would have married him or anything. I know all about it now. But then he wanted to go to war and I didn't know.
The two begin an affair, with Henry quite convinced that he "did not love Catherine Barkley nor had any idea of loving her. This was a game, like bridge, in which you said things instead of playing cards." Soon enough, however, the game turns serious for both of them and ultimately Henry ends up deserting to be with Catherine.

Hemingway was not known for either unbridled optimism or happy endings, and A Farewell to Arms, like his other novels (For Whom the Bell Tolls, The Sun Also Rises, and To Have and Have Not), offers neither. What it does provide is an unblinking portrayal of men and women behaving with grace under pressure, both physical and psychological, and somehow finding the courage to go on in the face of certain loss. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:43 -0400)

An American officer in the Italian ambulance corps and an English Red Cross nurse find love on the battlefield during WW I.

Legacy Library: Ernest Hemingway

Ernest Hemingway has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ernest Hemingway's legacy profile.

See Ernest Hemingway's author page.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,261,306 books! | Top bar: Always visible