Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

In einem andern Land by Ernest Hemingway

In einem andern Land (original 1929; edition 1999)

by Ernest Hemingway

18,598203168 (3.74)477
An unforgettable story of an American ambulance driver on the Italian front and his love for an English nurse.
Member:schmechi
Title:In einem andern Land
Authors:Ernest Hemingway
Info:rororo (1999), Ausgabe: 10, Taschenbuch, 384 Seiten
Rating:**
Tags:Liebe, Erster Weltkrieg, Italien, Isonzoschlachten, Desertion, Flucht

A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway (1929)

Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks (PilgrimJess)
    PilgrimJess: This account comes from a character whom actually fought and so the events first hand.
    Journey to the End of the Night by Louis-Ferdinand Céline (arthurfrayn)
    A Soldier of the Great War by Mark Helprin (AmourFou)
    AmourFou: WWI Italian Front. Also great literature.
    The Fifth Column and Four Stories of The Spanish Civil War by Ernest Hemingway (kxlly)
1920s (5)

English (181)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Italian (2)  Norwegian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (201)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and read it fairly quickly. The futility of World War One is exposed from the perspective of an ambulance driver. As I understand it, the work is somewhat autobiographical. It is a beautiful love story. ( )
  Jon_Speed | Nov 24, 2020 |
It’s a plot driven page turner. It had a somewhat detached perspective. The sentences had a deadpan quality and had the flavor of reportage. I personally prefer more elaborate, flowing sentences and greater interior dialogue. It certainly told a story well, but I didn’t learn a great deal about the protagonist. 3/5. ( )
  Misprint | Aug 31, 2020 |
If people bring so much courage to this world, the world has to kill them to break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward, many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break, it kills. It kills the very good, and the very gentle, and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these, you can be sure it will kill you too, but there will be no special hurry. ( )
  SolangePark | Jul 12, 2020 |
I had to take a few days to process what I read because I flew through it over a rainy weekend. Given that I read it fast, I'm not sure I can say I devoured it out of enjoyment.

So the story itself is pretty interesting, the protagonist goes to war, gets injured and falls in love while he is healing. This is a plot line I can get on board with. However, the protagonist "falling in love" was somewhat unbelievable. None of his narration or thought processes illustrate an attachment to the characters. Even the people who he was closest to in the story - his surgeon friend and his wife - you can only tell that he cares for them from very terse sentences like "he is my dearest friend'. There isn't much in the way of actions that makes it seem like the protagonist cares for them. Sadly, Hemingway's struggle with alcoholism is very clear in this book. The protagonist is drinking on every page, and he is frequently smuggling more alcohol for those he's closest to.
Even his 'wife', who is supposed to care for his well-being, never really stops him from drinking at all times, even as they are fleeing the country. Their relationship was very strange to me, it also never felt genuine. People love in different ways, but this felt more like a romance of convenience and then they ended up just being stuck together. The two decided they were married just 'cause. Or at least that's how it felt from the description. They were sneaking around having sex every night in the hospital (she's a nurse) and it seems like they decided to call themselves husband and wife so they wouldn't feel so bad about breaking the rules. And then wouldn't you know she falls pregnant. Even though it's unplanned, they both seem unimpressed and unexcited by their situation. There were times reading that I forgot she was expecting because she was drinking all the time and they never mentioned it. They also referred to the baby as a 'thing' for a while, which only reinforced my feelings that they didn't care about starting a family together - it was just something that happened to them. And in the end when the tragedy occurs, it is hard to feel upset because only a few pages before does the protagonist really express feelings for his wife and child.

This was my first Hemingway, and in general I appreciated his writing style solely for it's originality. Some of the conversations were jarring at first but I found relaxing into it and imagining a group of people speaking made it much more understandable. The descriptions were wonderful and definitely one of my favorite parts. I will definitely give Hemingway another try, hopefully the characters have a little more depth in the next one. ( )
  hopebarton2014 | Jun 15, 2020 |
Dieser wohl berühmteste Roman Hemingways erschien 1929 und basiert auf seinen Erlebnissen als Freiwilliger im Ersten Weltkrieg. Als er ihn schrieb, war er dreißig Jahre alt, und der Roman wurde als das beste Buch über diesen Krieg gefeiert. Es begründete seinen Weltruhm. "In einem anderen Land" erzählt die Geschichte des amerikanischen Ambulanzfahrers Frederic Henry an der Isonzo-Front und seiner Leidenschaft für die schöne, aber empfindsame englische Krankenschwester Catherine Barkley – eine Liebe, die angesichts der Umstände, unter denen sie gedeiht, nur in einer Katastrophe enden kann. Den Roman zeichnet die meisterhafte erzählerische Leistung aus, dass er die Brutalität des Krieges und das zarte Spiel einer beginnenden Liebe auf erschreckend zwingende Weise miteinander verbindet. Daraus entsteht ein Drama von beinahe übermenschlicher Tragik und, da frei von jeglicher Sentimentalität, ein "wunderschönes, bewegendes und zutiefst menschliches Buch" (Vita Sackville-West).
  Fredo68 | May 14, 2020 |
In its sustained, inexorable movement, its throbbing preoccupation with flesh and blood and nerves rather than the fanciful fabrics of intellect, it fulfills the prophecies that his most excited admirers have made about Ernest Hemingway... in its depiction of War, the novel bears comparison with its best predecessors. But it is in the hero's perhaps unethical quitting of the battle line to be with the woman whom he has gotten with child that it achieves its greatest significance.
added by jjlong | editTime (Oct 14, 1929)

It is a moving and beautiful book.

Hemingway, Ernestprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Warren, Robert PennIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Contains

Has the adaptation

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

To G. A. Pfeiffer
In the late summer of that year we lived in a house in a village that looked across the river and the plain to the mountains.
There is a class that controls a country that is stupid and does not realize anything and never can. That is why we have this war.
Also they make money out of it.

Legacy Library: Ernest Hemingway

Ernest Hemingway has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ernest Hemingway's legacy profile.

See Ernest Hemingway's author page.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,508,932 books! | Top bar: Always visible