A Farewell To Arms by Ernest Hemingway

A Farewell To Arms (original 1929; edition 1929)

by Ernest Hemingway

Member:joyceBl
Title:A Farewell To Arms
Authors:Ernest Hemingway
Info:Scribner (1995), Edition: 9th, Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:Read, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, owned

A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway (1929)

English (153)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hebrew (1)  Norwegian (1)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (167)
This is as close to a romance novel that I'll get. ( )
  jimifenway | Feb 2, 2016 |
Widely considered to be on the greatest anti-war novels ever written, A Farewell to Arms, tells the story of American Frederic Henry and his experiences as an ambulance driver in the Italian Army during WWI. During the course of the war, he meets and falls in love with a British nurse, Catherine Barkley, and the novel gradually begins to focus on their love affair, the war itself only a backdrop to their romance.

Reading this, I didn't get the sense that the novel itself was a piece of anti-war literature. While it focused heavily on the nonsensical realities of war, it never came across as dogmatically stating that war is wrong. Rather it seemed to say that war is brutal, dirty, and nasty. Hemingway doesn't romanticize war as many other authors seem to have done in the past and still do to this day. This is what I like about Hemingway. He is honest and straightforward, making his novels very readable. On the other hand, he is one of those men who can't write a female character to save his life. Catherine is insipid, cloying, and downright annoying. Her character made it very hard to enjoy the novel. Not only did I not like her, but she seemed to drag down Frederic as well when they were together. He went from an intriguing multi-dimensional character to one who could only utter phrases about how grand she was and unable to have any thoughts or actions that did not revolve around her. While I appreciated the juxtaposition of their love affair against the backdrop of war, I felt the novel ultimately suffered from the inclusion of Catherine. I think that were the author someone who could better draft a female character, this novel could have gone from being an interesting examination of the singular tragedy of life to something truly spectacular. ( )
1 vote Mootastic1 | Jan 15, 2016 |
3.5***

Fredrick Henry is a young American, serving as an ambulance driver with the Italian army during WWI. He meets a lovely English nurse, Catherine Barkley, and when he is wounded she devotes herself to his care. Their relationship blooms even as the war continues to suck all hope of a normal life from all those mired in it. More and more disillusioned by the war and threatened not only by the enemy but by the Italians on whose behalf he is fighting, Henry seeks solace with Miss Barkley, and the two of them dream of peace and comfort and a normal life.

Hemingway himself served as an ambulance driver during WWI, was wounded and received a medal for valor. This novel is one of his earlier works and his style is still a little raw, in my opinion. Yes, he explores the alienation and human tragedy of war, but I never get the feeling that there is a clear sense of purpose or a just cause for which to fight. Henry seems just to have gone to war for the excitement and simple “maleness” of battle. Don’t misunderstand me … I do not think Hemingway is glorifying war. There are plenty of scenes that give the reader the sense of the horrors of the situation, the mind-numbing boredom interrupted by moment of sheer terror, the bone-weary exhaustion of days spent trudging through rain-soaked terrain without shelter, adequate food or rest.

And then there is the love story. I think my main complaint with this work is that I never really connect to the central characters. Their dialogue seems stilted and over simplified. I don’t really feel love between them. I see them, instead, as two lonely people connected by the circumstances in which they find themselves. I admit to a few fleeting thoughts of “what might have been,” but in general I don’t care enough about them.

NOTE: The cover of my book is completely different ... yellow, with a purple center block and a black-and-white illustration of a nurse and soldier. But the ISBN number is an exact match ( )
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
This was a classic I always meant to read and I'm glad I did. Most of it was fast moving and the plot was interesting. However, I didn't like the character development, especially of Katherine. She seems to be a stereotypic view of what "a man would want." Even when Katherine is in labor she talks about her "grand husband" and how she wants to be a "good wife." Also the guy is suppose to be so in love with Katherine, but I just didn't feel the connection. ( )
  KamGeb | Nov 27, 2015 |
I found this quite frustrating to read.At times the way he writes conversations are incredibly confusing, just lines and lines of speech, with no indicators as to who is saying what. It's OK for a few lines, but after a page and a half, it's very easy to get lost as to who is saying what. Especially when the conversation is a bit banal and largely pointless.
There is an odd use of language as well. At times it feels a bit stilted, at others the word choice is strange. Describing something 3 times in the same sentence as "nice" isn't what I expected. At times the choice of language was simple, at others repetitive, it didn't seem to be elegant or well considered.
The tale told is both simple and complicated. The central character is an American of (I think) Italian extraction who is serving in the Italian ambulance service on the Italian front. He's there because he's volunteered, not because he's been conscripted. He gets injured, treated and returned to the front shortly before the big breakthrough and collapse of the Italians at Carporetto. He gets swept up in the retreat and the way that the army degenerates is vividly told. However, it also sees the end of his involvement with the war.
However this does not end neatly, his own life disintegrates, with the nurse he had met and fallen in love with escaping over the Swiss boarder with him, before failing to survive childbirth.
At times I quite enjoyed this, but I failed to warm to Catherine, she was just so insipid as to be nothing that the narrator did not want her to be. She kept going on about being a good wife to him, if she wanted to do something he didn't she immediately changed her mind. I found her impossible to feel for or warm to.
There's much that could have been good in here, but it didn't hang together and I found too much to not enjoy. ( )
1 vote Helenliz | Oct 11, 2015 |
In its sustained, inexorable movement, its throbbing preoccupation with flesh and blood and nerves rather than the fanciful fabrics of intellect, it fulfills the prophecies that his most excited admirers have made about Ernest Hemingway... in its depiction of War, the novel bears comparison with its best predecessors. But it is in the hero's perhaps unethical quitting of the battle line to be with the woman whom he has gotten with child that it achieves its greatest significance.
added by jjlong | editTime (Oct 14, 1929)

It is a moving and beautiful book.

Hemingway, Ernestprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Warren, Robert PennIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Romanzi volume I by Ernest Hemingway

The Novels Of Ernest Hemingway . by Ernest Hemingway

Five Novels: The Sun Also Rises / A Farewell to Arms / To Have and Have Not / The Old Man and the Sea / For Whom the Bell Tolls (FOLIO SOCIETY) by Ernest Hemingway

The Sun Also Rises / A Farewell to Arms / The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

Four Book Set (QP) {Complete Short Stories; Farewell to Arms, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Sun Also Rises} by Ernest Hemingway

Book-of-the-Month-Club Set of 5: A Farewell to Arms, A Moveable Feast, For Whom the Bell Tolls, The Sun Also Rises, & The Complete Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway (The Finca Vigia Edition) (Book-of-the-Month Club) by Ernest Hemingway

Contains

Has the adaptation

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

To G. A. Pfeiffer
In the late summer of that year we lived in a house in a village that looked across the river and the plain to the mountains.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0684801469, Paperback)

As a youth of 18, Ernest Hemingway was eager to fight in the Great War. Poor vision kept him out of the army, so he joined the ambulance corps instead and was sent to France. Then he transferred to Italy where he became the first American wounded in that country during World War I. Hemingway came out of the European battlefields with a medal for valor and a wealth of experience that he would, 10 years later, spin into literary gold with A Farewell to Arms. This is the story of Lieutenant Henry, an American, and Catherine Barkley, a British nurse. The two meet in Italy, and almost immediately Hemingway sets up the central tension of the novel: the tenuous nature of love in a time of war. During their first encounter, Catherine tells Henry about her fiancé of eight years who had been killed the year before in the Somme. Explaining why she hadn't married him, she says she was afraid marriage would be bad for him, then admits:
I wanted to do something for him. You see, I didn't care about the other thing and he could have had it all. He could have had anything he wanted if I would have known. I would have married him or anything. I know all about it now. But then he wanted to go to war and I didn't know.
The two begin an affair, with Henry quite convinced that he "did not love Catherine Barkley nor had any idea of loving her. This was a game, like bridge, in which you said things instead of playing cards." Soon enough, however, the game turns serious for both of them and ultimately Henry ends up deserting to be with Catherine.

Hemingway was not known for either unbridled optimism or happy endings, and A Farewell to Arms, like his other novels (For Whom the Bell Tolls, The Sun Also Rises, and To Have and Have Not), offers neither. What it does provide is an unblinking portrayal of men and women behaving with grace under pressure, both physical and psychological, and somehow finding the courage to go on in the face of certain loss. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:43 -0400)

An American officer in the Italian ambulance corps and an English Red Cross nurse find love on the battlefield during WW I.

Legacy Library: Ernest Hemingway

Ernest Hemingway has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ernest Hemingway's legacy profile.

See Ernest Hemingway's author page.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,265,175 books! | Top bar: Always visible