Princess Mia by Meg Cabot

Princess Mia

by Meg Cabot

Well it was an improvement on the two or three ones that came before it. ( )
  matamgirl | Apr 3, 2013 |
All right. So I've been meaning to read this book since it came out (over a year ago), but have been putting it off after the SHOCKING ending to Book 8 ([b:Princess on the Brink|85989|Princess on the Brink (The Princess Diaries, Book 8)|Meg Cabot|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1171063291s/85989.jpg|2668285]). BUT this book is DEFINITELY my favorite so far! I thought it was going to be a little rough after reading the first... 6 pages (first diary entry), but it was great! SUPER funny...

I can't wait to read Book 10 ([b:Forever Princess|3474186|Forever Princess (The Princess Diaries, Book 10)|Meg Cabot|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31czRvAa7pL._SL75_.jpg|3515492])!! (It's available from the library, so I hope I'll be able to read it tomorrow!) ( )
  saraferrell | Apr 3, 2013 |
So, this is kind of a late turning point in the series. First and foremost, we’ve got Mia having to face facts and realize that she needs to grow up and get over herself. I also like the fact that her parents actually act like parents and tell her to grow up and move on instead of wallowing in bed complaining about Michael.

However, this does feel like the second part of book eight—I was mulling over this, and I think that the series would have been a lot more effective if a few of the volumes had just been lumped together. (It also doesn’t help that this book picks up right after the end of Princess on the Brink. It would have been a little more effective and believable if the action picked up a few weeks later.) I also really don’t agree that Mia was going through depression, just normal teenage hormones. Depression is a lot worse and more complicated than “My boyfriend left meeeee and my best friend isn’t speaking with me!” My biggest complaint, for the series as a whole, is the fact that Mia needs to step back and grow the hell up; it’s fine in the first few books, but by now, it’s becoming a huge, tired schtick.

But speaking of growing up, the thing that I liked the most in this is Lana. The fact that she took the time to say, “Look, we’re getting a little old for this back and forth. Truce?” impressed me to no end. It could have been very easy for her to remain the bitchy popular girl antagonist for the finale, but the fact that she does bury the hatchet with Mia, and turns out to be fairly nice took her character in a much different turn.

As for the main plot—the discovery of Princess Amelie’s edict making Genovia a constitutional monarchy—again, I felt that this would have been more effective if it had taken place much later in the year than immediately following the previous book. I would have also liked to have known more about why she wasn’t considered important in the Genovian royal family, aside from “Well, she was a sixteen-year-old girl!” While a lot of the book suffers from the problems that plague the latter half of the series, the new turning points do make the read a bit more worthwhile.
  princess-starr | Mar 31, 2013 |
There are some books I read where I wrestle with my conscience: to list it on GoodReads, or not? And so far I've always come down on the side of listing them all, even though they may not all be books I want to cop to reading. I'm listing this one and not putting it in my update feed. Maybe it'll sneak under my Smart Friends' radars, because I read this and I feel a deep shame for that fact.

Somehow I've managed to avoid the Clique/Gossip Girl/A-List types, but this series has sucked me in and won't let go. Part of it is that I do have parents at the library who ask if a series is appropriate for their kids of varying ages, and this is one of the books they ask about--because their 9- or 10-year-old daughters watched the first movie and want to read the books, but when does it take that turn for the Older Teen? (Answer: a couple of books ago.)

Mia is battling a major depression after breaking up with her boyfriend, and the resulting disinterest in everything makes her whine a lot less about every other aspect of her life. But even without her incessant whining, this drags. We only get through about two weeks of minutiae: who's dating whom, X mad at Y, and lengthy IM sessions with what might be the most annoying Protagonist's Sidekick on the face of the planet.

If you've been reading this series all along and have been enjoying it, there's nothing I can say to dissuade you from picking this one up, too. But if you're trying to quit, go for it. At the end of the book, very little has changed in Mia's life. Any major changes hinted at will have to be explored in the next volume, because this one ends just short of where the plot could (but probably won't) get interesting. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 31, 2013 |
Omg! Omg! O...M...G! Just when I thought I would seriously have to murder Mia for being the most obnoxious, self-absorbed, puerile little puke...
So, she's being a complete dumbass about Michael, as usual. And Lilly is being the quintessential horrible friend (minus the friend part), also as usual (seriously, why has Mia ever liked her? She treats her like sh*t), and Mia is being a whiny ass f*cking brat, once again, as usual. Thankfully, Lilly calls her out on it in a rather public way that helps launch what may very well have been Mia's long-awaited journey to self-actualization. The ending was the most incredible thing, ever (as far as this series goes, anyway). ( )
  benuathanasia | Jan 22, 2013 |
"Ah, yes, your royal highness," she said. "We are princesses I believe. At least one of us is."

Sara felt the blood rush up into her face. She only just saved herself. If you were a princess, you did not fly into rages.

"It's true," she said. "Sometimes I do pretend I am a princess. I pretend I am a princess so I can try to behave like one."

A Little Princess

Frances Hodgson Burnett
For Amanda Maciel, with love and thanks
He hasn’t called. I just checked with Mom.

FOR USE IN SCHOOLS AND LIBRARIES ONLY. Having broken up with Michael, Mia tries to cope, but with the revelation of an old family secret and the fate of the kingdom of Genovia at hand, the young princess is aware that her romantic problems are the least of her worries.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:55 -0400)

While Mia tries to get over breaking up with her boyfriend, she discovers a diary kept by a former princess of Genovia from the 1600s, the contents of which could change the fate of her country forever.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,493,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible