The Honor of the Queen by David Weber

The Honor of the Queen (1993)

by David Weber

Series: Honor Harrington (2), Honor Harrington Universe (2)

Recently added byprivate library, Maelgwyn, Marko_k, JGKingsley, dodfr3, aymicrr, Adlerauge, dreamweaver529, EveleenM
Legacy LibrariesInternational Space Station

English (19)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Slovak (1)  All (23)
The second book in an early 1990s military space adventure series by David Weber, this book focuses on exactly the theme that I was so incredibly impressed wasn't overwrought in the first book: our starship captain protagonist is female. The thematic obviousness of an alternative-and-backwards culture that is heavily male-dominated and struggles unto violence to accept powerful women is just... disappointing. By negating the unique existence of a post-gender story, the author leaves us only a fast-paced military space adventure. And that story is absolutely fine and entertaining. It's just not special or iconoclastic or particularly remarkable. ( )
  pammab | May 3, 2018 |
Luckily this book in the series also had a sufficient focus on the actual action and on Harrington herself that the political BS was tolerable.

It is walking a tight line though. ( )
  perjonsson | Oct 28, 2017 |
When she's told she's been selected to head up a military convoy to the planet Grayson, Honor is sure her bosses in the Admiralty have taken leave of their senses for she's no desire to learn the diplomatic niceties involved in such a command. There's a another problem, though, that Honor has difficulty in believing for the Graysons have been isolated for the mainstream of Galactic society for almost a millenium and the harsh nature of their world meant that their religion had lost none of its own harshness towards the status of women and if there's anything they're less likely to put up with than the ignorance of the Manticoran economics 'expert' is a female military commander.

But the deep laid plans of their ancient Masadan enemies force the Graysons to compromise in order to survive.

Weber has stated that he has an overarching plan for the Honorverse but only two books into the series, there are various elements that won't quite work through to later books in the series, though it is still a great book on its own merits. ( )
  JohnFair | Nov 29, 2015 |
This is at least my tenth time reading this book, and I still love it. I think, however, some of the dimensionless villains are starting to get to me. Honestly, I think that dimensionless villains in any fiction are really starting to get to me. People without redeeming characteristics just aren't this common. ( )
  lyrrael | Oct 17, 2015 |
Published In: Riverdale, NY
Date: 1993
Pgs: 421

REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Summary:
The Kingdom of Manticore Foreign Office has made a mistake. They’ve sent Honor Harrington to carry the flag on a diplomatic mission to Grayson, a world with backward social morees when it comes to women and their positions in society. Conflict with, hopefully, future allies aside, the Republic of Haven has to be nearby and ready to take advantage. Honor has her work cut out for her. But her stars are on the rise after Basilisk. Hopefully, she’ll be equal to the challenge. The Kingdom needs allies. The wolves are gathering. Is she the right person at the right place at the right time for Queen and country...let’s hope so.

Genre:
Space
Space opera
War

Why this book:
I’ve always been fascinated by Honor Harrington. The warp point militaria stories of David Weber make me happy. I love them. I’ve read his Starfire books...and re-read them...and am re-reading them again this year. All four of them are on my re-read pile. The Honoriad is a fellow traveller to those stories. The Honor Harrington books use the warp point and militaria aspects in a different, parallel universe. I love Weber’s military Starfire-ish books.
__________________________________________________​

Favorite Character:
Honor Harrington is one of the best characters in literature. She’s a hidden gem.

Character I Most Identified With:
I love Honor Harrington and want to be her.

The Feel:
This is great military sci fi.

Favorite Scene:
When the Grayson government council is debating “allowing” Honor to act in her official military capacity despite their social and cultural mores and the Voice of the Church stands up for reason in the face of society. It’s a well constructed scene with all the conservative stick-in-the-muds surprised that the religious voice comes across logical and liberal. Well done.

When Nimitz lets loose when he recognizes the assassination squad coming into the Protector’s residence...damn. The treecats are some bad mothers. Awesome fight scene too. And awesome denouement to the scene.

Pacing:
The pace is awesome.

Hmm Moments:
I love this quote from the book. It reads like an indictment of modern American political point of views.
“...sweeping, simplistic solutions to complicated problems are much more appealing than tackling the real thought that might actually solve them.”

Why isn’t there a screenplay?
I’m just not sure if there is a market for it. Military sci fi seems to be having a hard time at the box office. Jupiter Ascending didn’t do so well. I would love to see Honor Harrington go big on the big screen. Maybe in the post new Star Wars era, there’ll be more of an appetite.

Casting call:
I just don’t know who to cast as Honor. Kate Beckinsale or Rhona Mitra...maybe.
__________________________________________________​

Last Page Sound:
The last 75 to 100 pages are an awesome blur of good scenes and characters.

Author Assessment:
I will be reading more of David Weber’s stuff.

Editorial Assessment:

Kostyk, EleanorCartographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mattingly, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schwinger, LaurenceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warner, BobCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The cutter passed from sunlit brilliance to soot-black shadow with the knife-edge suddenness possible only in space, and the tall, broad-shouldered woman in the black and gold of the Royal Manticoran Navy gazed out the armorplast port at the battle-steel beauty of her command and frowned.
And if I've learned one thing over the years, it's that when it comes down to raw emotion against reason, emotion wins.

RIGHT WOMAN, WRONG PLACE

It's hard to give peace a chance when the other side regards war as the necessary prelude to conquest, and a sneak attack as the best means to that end. That's why the Kingdom of Manticore needs allies against the so-called ""Republic"" of Haven--and the planet Grayson is just the right strategic place to make a very good ally indeed. But Her Majesty's Foreign Office had overlooked a ""minor cultural difference"" when they chose Honor Harrington to carry the flag: women on the planet Grayson are without rank or rights; Honor's very presence is an intolerable affront to every male on the planet.

At first Honor doesn't take it personally; where she comes from gender discrimination is barely a historical memory, right up there in significance to fear of the left-handed. But in time such treatment as she receives from the Graysonites does become wearing, and Honor would withdraw if she could--but then Grayson's fratricidal sister planet attacks without warning and she must stay and prevail, not just for Honor's honor, but for her sovereign's, for--THE HONOR OF THE QUEEN.

[retrieved 2/7/2013 from Amazon.com]

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,269,582 books! | Top bar: Always visible