The Honor of the Queen (Honor Harrington…

The Honor of the Queen (Honor Harrington Book 2) (edition 2002)

by David Weber

"It's hard to give peace a chance when the other side regards conquest as the only option and a sneak attack as the best means to that end. That's why the Kingdom of Manticore needs allies against the Republic of Haven--and the planet Grayson is strategically situated to make a very good ally indeed. But Her Majesty's Foreign Office overlooked a "minor cultural difference" when they chose Honor Harrington to carry the flag: women on the planet of Grayson are without rank or rights and Honor's mere presence is an intolerable affront to every male on the planet. At first Honor doesn't take it personally; where she comes from gender discrimination is barely a historical memory, right up there in significance with fear of the left-handed. But in time such treatment becomes taxing and she makes plans to withdraw until Grayson's fratricidal sister planet attacks without warning. Now, Honor must stay and prevail, not just for her honor, but for her sovereign's, for the honor of the Queen"--Container.… (more)
Member:sablebadger
Title:The Honor of the Queen (Honor Harrington Book 2)
Authors:David Weber
Info:Baen (2002), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback
Tags:scifi

The Honor of the Queen by David Weber

English (24)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (28)
Luckily this book in the series also had a sufficient focus on the actual action and on Harrington herself that the political BS was tolerable.

It is walking a tight line though. ( )
  perjonsson | Jun 10, 2019 |
Entertaining. Good mediocre sci-fi. Terrible dialog, but good intense story and you get some sympathy for the characters. Better than the first one ( )
  Daniel_Bach | Jan 21, 2019 |
This was a difficult book to read in some ways as it has themes of religious intolerance. I know the worst of it comes from the "bad guys," but it was difficult to read some of the male characters' hatred of a woman who doesn't conform to what they expect: staying secluded and serving the husband. The aftermath of rape was also hard to read.

That written, there is much to admire in the book. Honor Harrington is more than competent, the good guys can learn, and it is a cracking good military SF story. I think the parts that got to me got to me because it is so well-written. I cared about the characters and I wanted the good guys to win.

This needs to be read in series order, after On Basilisk Station. If you liked that book, go ahead and get this one. Military science fiction fans, if you don't have this series, you should! ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Dec 27, 2018 |
I'm on a reread kick with these Honor Harrington novels. We're at the 25th anniversary of it's original release so I wanted to see what drew me in when I first tried them.

This novel picks up about 3 years after the end of On Basilisk Station. Honor's already had the heavy cruiser out and brought it back for its first refit and new orders. We continue to see the fall out of the incidents of the previous book, and hints at what's to come. I checked my files and am listening to a rereleased version, so there are more chapters with more asides than the original held.

This feels like a commentary book, as it talks about conservatism and its staunch beliefs versus the more progressive views of the world. Funny, it felt like it matched the present political environment.

I'd forgotten that this book was where Nimitz shows his true ferocity against enemies of Honor and her friends. Also that this was the novel where Honor gets knighted, tapped as Steadholder, and made a Countess. Lots of stuff happens earlier in the series than I remembered. But then again, the previous book had dropped hints at the treecats and their ... skills.

I feel like this audiobook narrator is guessing at pronunciations. Mac-a be-us instead of Ma-cab-e-us. LACKS instead of reading the letters out. It's a bit nerve wrenching for me.

Definitely a worthy series, even with the added asides. ( )
  gilroy | Dec 21, 2018 |
One of the best military/space naval book series out there. ( )
  mwchase | Nov 6, 2018 |

Kostyk, EleanorCartographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mattingly, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schwinger, LaurenceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warner, BobCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The cutter passed from sunlit brilliance to soot-black shadow with the knife-edge suddenness possible only in space, and the tall, broad-shouldered woman in the black and gold of the Royal Manticoran Navy gazed out the armorplast port at the battle-steel beauty of her command and frowned.
And if I've learned one thing over the years, it's that when it comes down to raw emotion against reason, emotion wins.

RIGHT WOMAN, WRONG PLACE

It's hard to give peace a chance when the other side regards war as the necessary prelude to conquest, and a sneak attack as the best means to that end. That's why the Kingdom of Manticore needs allies against the so-called ""Republic"" of Haven--and the planet Grayson is just the right strategic place to make a very good ally indeed. But Her Majesty's Foreign Office had overlooked a ""minor cultural difference"" when they chose Honor Harrington to carry the flag: women on the planet Grayson are without rank or rights; Honor's very presence is an intolerable affront to every male on the planet.

At first Honor doesn't take it personally; where she comes from gender discrimination is barely a historical memory, right up there in significance to fear of the left-handed. But in time such treatment as she receives from the Graysonites does become wearing, and Honor would withdraw if she could--but then Grayson's fratricidal sister planet attacks without warning and she must stay and prevail, not just for Honor's honor, but for her sovereign's, for--THE HONOR OF THE QUEEN.

[retrieved 2/7/2013 from Amazon.com]

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,796,552 books! | Top bar: Always visible