The Short Victorious War (Honor Harrington…

The Short Victorious War (Honor Harrington #3) (original 1994; edition 2002)

by David Weber

Member:MLCathi
Title:The Short Victorious War (Honor Harrington #3)
Authors:David Weber
Info:Baen (2002), Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages

The Short Victorious War by David Weber (1994)

Field of Dishonor by David Weber (theapparatus)
    theapparatus: Next book in series. Not sure why LT isn't recommending it but here it is. :)

English (16)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (20)
I love Honor Harrington! She's a great character in a great series. And it's nice to have a strong female protagonist in a sci fi novel, which hasn't always been the case in this genre.

In this book, "Dame" Honor is given the honor of being given the top ship in the Royal Manticoran navy -- the Nike. She's sent out to Hancock to be the flag ship for a junior admiral who turns out to be a great guy and a great supporter of hers. However, when she gets there, her ship has suffered damage on the way and has to be docked to be fixed, which will take many weeks.

Meanwhile, the always broke Republic of Haven is plotting to attack Manticore and take their spoils, counting on their superiority in numbers over Manticore's smaller, but more technologically advanced armed forces. One of the things I liked about this book is we get a glimpse at the inner workings of Haven's politicians and military planners. We're kept abreast of things as they happen. Another interesting facet to the book is that there is a revolution taking place in Haven, and we get to see the beginnings of it.

Another thing I liked about this book is the character development we see in Honor, as opposed to other books. She grows and changes and adapts and becomes nearly human in this book and I appreciated that. In this book, she develops a love interest, which came out of the blue -- for me and for her -- but she's happy with it and that's good. However, she's so unused to being feminine that she needs help in putting cosmetics on and the scene in which she asks her exec for help is pretty funny.

Of course, it wouldn't be an Honor Harrington book without a huge space battle. The senior admiral has taken the bulk of the ships in the system to another place, gambling that's where the Haven ships will appear. He's wrong. Imagine the horror Honor and her colleagues feel when over 100 Haven ships, including 35 mega-ships, appear out of nowhere and start toward them and they only have some five or six to defend themselves with. Reinforcements are on the way, however, so if they can just hold them off for a few hours, the space station there might be saved, as well as Honor and her mates. Through Honor's ingenuity, they release hundreds of missiles at the Haven fleet and score some direct hits, destroying some ships in the process. The Haven commander is ticked! They go after Honor and score some hits of their own. Some of Honor's colleagues are blown up and Honor's ship is hit, but not too badly. Then, tah dah, reinforcements! And the Haven fleet takes off. And the main Manticore fleet that had been lying in wait goes to Haven's space station and destroys it and the rest of Haven's fleet. It's over. Honor has saved the day. My only complaint is we don't get to see the battle at Haven's space station with their fleet being decimated. Oh well. That would have made the book a lot bigger, I guess.

I do have one complaint with this book and with this series. It's sci fi. They have hyperspace, hyper drives. They can travel light years in a very short period of time. They can have video communications with each other within systems. But not out of the systems. They actually have to rely on courier boats to send messages to each other, like "We've been attacked," or something to that effect, and it can take 11 days or 17 days, etc. It seems utterly stupid to me. You're telling me that three or four thousand years from now with huge space ships and laser beams and hyperspace travel, you have to send messages by boats??? WTF??? That's the most stupid thing I've ever heard! I don't know what Weber was thinking when he came up with that system, but I'm not impressed. However, that complaint aside, it's still a fun read and a great series and I'm already looking forward to the next one. Definitely recommended. ( )
  scottcholstad | Jun 27, 2015 |
I swear these books are as bad as chips. Can't eat (read/listen to) just one! Johnson read this one much better. The politics got better as did the war & personal situations. Made for a great story.

Weber is still a bit repetitious & tends to obscure rather than make points through his use of different units of measurement for acceleration. This is unfortunate, but I just went with it. On to the next after listening to another of London's stories. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
Having made a good impression at Basilisk Station and Yeltsin, and despite having enemies in influential places, Honour is climbing the ranks of the Royal Manticoran Navy (RMN). She has just been given a brand new ship, the Nike, with a long tradition behind it to uphold - and then thrown into the front line of battle.

The hereditary government of the People's Republic (which it's not) of Haven desperately needs an external crisis to distract the attention of the masses from the fact that they don't have the resources to pay the Basic Living Stipend. If they can use their military might to make a short, swift strike at Manticore and her allies, a quick victory would improve moral and they could loot the conquered systems for resources.

The intergalactic war that has been threatening from the first two books finally arrives and it is up to the outnumbered RMN and the weaker forces of Manticore's allies to prevent the war machine of Haven from rolling over them.

But in Haven itself, Rob Pierre may be leading a Revolution. Vive la République!

I found the action in this book less intense than in the previous two. Considering that we have been aware of the threat from the prologue to the first book, On Basilisk Station, the war seemed to be over very quickly; faster, in fact, than the two skirmishes we've already been in with Honor. As usual, the distances, in terms of millions of kilometres or in lightyears, were fairly incomprehensible to me, though that didn't affect my enjoyment of the story, though the fact that it could take a week for a message to reach it's destination, and be out of date by then, is a bit startling. It seems old-fashioned in a time of faster than light ships; though obviously it would take time for information to cross the vast distances.

The science seems plausible. I'm just reading the appendix where it is explained, and (don't ask me to explain it to you afterwards though) it seems to make sense to me.

And it's nice that, at the equivalent of 45 Terran years, Honor finally finds romance, though this is not a focus of the book. I also liked seeing that this time Honor isn't fighting on two fronts; the physical battle against the Havenites and a psychological one against people in authority who dislike her. This time, she has proved herself and has the support of her superiors as well as her own crew.

Overall, I enjoyed this story, though it may be a bit lighter than the first two.

Four stars.

humouress | Oct 31, 2013 |
The third book in the Honor Harrington Series this book keeps up the tradition set by the first two. Although it does have some points where it drops off, it is an all-around good read for fans of serial science fiction.

We are back ship-side after having large portions of the last book with Honor planet bound. It truly is nice to see Harrington back in her element. We get almost as much intrigue and politics here as we did in the Honor of the Queen coupled with larger scale space combat.

Honor continues to be one of the strongest and most interesting female characters I have read in a long time. With the addition of a love interest (from a rather unexpected location), they have fleshed her out from more than just a futuristic warrior into something more human. One of my few complaints about her from earlier books was how detached she was, and in this we get to see another side of her. Weber usually makes it a point to bring back reoccurring characters in her series and this book is no different. Several supporting cast members from either the first or second book show up here, including one rather unfriendly acquaintance.

Read the Full Review at http://homeofreading.com/the-short-victorious-war/ ( )
  TStarnes | Sep 22, 2013 |

Hanger, Nancy C.Mapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Johnson, AllysonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mattingly, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schwinger, LaurenceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Slovak Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Hereditary President Sidney Harris watch the long cortege wind out of sight along the Promenade of the People, then turned his back on it.
Beginning of the "official" shooting war between Haven and the Kingdom. Although it is not the beginning of the series.

Banking on a short, victorious war to replenish their depleted treasury, the ruling class of the People's Republic of Haven do not count on coming up against Captain Honor Harrington and the Royal Manticoran Navy.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,024,234 books! | Top bar: Always visible