The Short Victorious War (Honor Harrington…

The Short Victorious War (Honor Harrington #3) (original 1994; edition 2002)

by David Weber

Member:MLCathi
Title:The Short Victorious War (Honor Harrington #3)
Authors:David Weber
Info:Baen (2002), Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages

The Short Victorious War by David Weber (1994)

Field of Dishonor by David Weber (theapparatus)
    theapparatus: Next book in series. Not sure why LT isn't recommending it but here it is. :)

English (14)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (18)
Having made a good impression at Basilisk Station and Yeltsin, and despite having enemies in influential places, Honour is climbing the ranks of the Royal Manticoran Navy (RMN). She has just been given a brand new ship, the Nike, with a long tradition behind it to uphold - and then thrown into the front line of battle.

The hereditary government of the People's Republic (which it's not) of Haven desperately needs an external crisis to distract the attention of the masses from the fact that they don't have the resources to pay the Basic Living Stipend. If they can use their military might to make a short, swift strike at Manticore and her allies, a quick victory would improve moral and they could loot the conquered systems for resources.

The intergalactic war that has been threatening from the first two books finally arrives and it is up to the outnumbered RMN and the weaker forces of Manticore's allies to prevent the war machine of Haven from rolling over them.

But in Haven itself, Rob Pierre may be leading a Revolution. Vive la République!

I found the action in this book less intense than in the previous two. Considering that we have been aware of the threat from the prologue to the first book, On Basilisk Station, the war seemed to be over very quickly; faster, in fact, than the two skirmishes we've already been in with Honor. As usual, the distances, in terms of millions of kilometres or in lightyears, were fairly incomprehensible to me, though that didn't affect my enjoyment of the story, though the fact that it could take a week for a message to reach it's destination, and be out of date by then, is a bit startling. It seems old-fashioned in a time of faster than light ships; though obviously it would take time for information to cross the vast distances.

The science seems plausible. I'm just reading the appendix where it is explained, and (don't ask me to explain it to you afterwards though) it seems to make sense to me.

And it's nice that, at the equivalent of 45 Terran years, Honor finally finds romance, though this is not a focus of the book. I also liked seeing that this time Honor isn't fighting on two fronts; the physical battle against the Havenites and a psychological one against people in authority who dislike her. This time, she has proved herself and has the support of her superiors as well as her own crew.

Overall, I enjoyed this story, though it may be a bit lighter than the first two.

Four stars.

humouress | Oct 31, 2013 |
The third book in the Honor Harrington Series this book keeps up the tradition set by the first two. Although it does have some points where it drops off, it is an all-around good read for fans of serial science fiction.

We are back ship-side after having large portions of the last book with Honor planet bound. It truly is nice to see Harrington back in her element. We get almost as much intrigue and politics here as we did in the Honor of the Queen coupled with larger scale space combat.

Honor continues to be one of the strongest and most interesting female characters I have read in a long time. With the addition of a love interest (from a rather unexpected location), they have fleshed her out from more than just a futuristic warrior into something more human. One of my few complaints about her from earlier books was how detached she was, and in this we get to see another side of her. Weber usually makes it a point to bring back reoccurring characters in her series and this book is no different. Several supporting cast members from either the first or second book show up here, including one rather unfriendly acquaintance.

Read the Full Review at http://homeofreading.com/the-short-victorious-war/ ( )
  TStarnes | Sep 22, 2013 |
baen ebook
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
Another grim one - well, there are some very good parts (especially with Paul), but when the war actually gets started, it gets pretty dark. And the assumptions about what the enemy (either enemy, from either side) will/won't do and does/doesn't know, versus reality, become extremely important. This becomes a theme throughout the Harrington books - "they can't possibly...X" while they're off doing X. Or the assumption that "they just missed the other side of the trap" when in fact there was no trap, just a lucky return at the right time... Sarnow is good people, the Admiral...isn't, though he does eventually more or less overcome his prejudice. Though not until disaster has already ensued and Honor has pulled survival out of said disaster. And Haven starts down its nasty little path into the pit, largely because of a complete accident of timing. If young Pierre hadn't died...who knows?
Again, very strange reading this when I know Honor's future. Every bit of Paul's and White Haven's actions have strong echoes, knowing what they'll be to Honor. And others - Young, and Parnell, and so on. It makes it hard to see the events in this book alone. But it's still definitely worth reading (for the dozenth time). ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Mar 8, 2013 |
The writing improves yet more. The story is interesting and some of the people in earlier sotires are reappearing. This series of books definitely should be rea in order. In this book Honor meets old antigonist and has developed a love live. ( )
  BobVTReader | Jul 22, 2012 |

David Weberprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bury, FlorenceTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Johnson, AllysonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mattingly, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schwinger, LaurenceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Slovak Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
Hereditary President Sidney Harris watch the long cortege wind out of sight along the Promenade of the People, then turned his back on it.
Beginning of the "official" shooting war between Haven and the Kingdom. Although it is not the beginning of the series.

Banking on a short, victorious war to replenish their depleted treasury, the ruling class of the People's Republic of Haven do not count on coming up against Captain Honor Harrington and the Royal Manticoran Navy.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,525,075 books! | Top bar: Always visible