Pigs in Heaven by Barbara Kingsolver

Pigs in Heaven (1993)

by Barbara Kingsolver

Series: Turtle (2)

The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver (Kerian)
    Butterflies in November by Auður Ava Ólafsdóttir (charl08)
    charl08: Female protagonist in charge of a child without warning, trying to make sense of new caring responsibilities (with mixed results) on a road trip.

English (61)  Dutch (1)  All languages (62)
This is a truly wonderful book but then I've come to expect no less of Barbara Kingsolver. It tells the story of Turtle, a young Cherokee girl, who was handed to a young white women in a parking lot in the middle of the night. Her mother had died in an accident and her aunt, who had been caring for her, was in an abusive relationship. Her boyfriend was also abusing Turtle and the aunt felt the only way of protecting Turtle was to hand her to this stranger. Luckily for Turtle, the stranger was able to bond with Turtle (who was called that because for a long time she held on tightly to her adoptive mother just like a snapping turtle) and ended up formally adopting her. Then Turtle comes to national attention on the Oprah show and a young attorney for the Cherokee Nation decides the adoption was illegal and Turtle should be returned to her people. I can't reveal what comes next without spoiling the ending but I was torn between supporting the adoptive mother and agreeing that Turtle should not be separated from her roots. There are lots of great characters in the book and for that alone the book is worth reading. But the larger issues of separating native children from their tribes and child abuse and deciding what is in a child's best interest are very important themes that make the book especially important. ( )
  gypsysmom | Aug 20, 2017 |
I liked this book - it's been many years since I read the bean trees but I still enjoyed it. I felt like Kingsolver spent so long pushing Taylor into worse and worse situations. On some level, it helped get how desperate she was but I would have liked to see her and her boyfriend confront the world, as opposed to act so frenetically.

Overall, good, made me think a lot about family ( )
  Lorem | Jul 15, 2017 |
A beautiful sequel to the Bean Trees, elegantly told, though somewhat predictable. Kingsolver writes so well, she can do old people sex without grossing anyone out. ( )
  StefanieBrookTrout | Feb 4, 2017 |
Ahh, Barbara Kingsolver. Like a cup of tea or a warm bath, you can just swim in her language and story. ( )
  Brainannex | Jul 6, 2016 |
The continuing story of Taylor and Turtle involves new and previously known characters. If you were missing them, you get to know them better, as well as learn more about the connection between Taylor and Turtle. ( )
  Lylee | Apr 3, 2016 |
The case for community is so one-sided and the outcome so predictable that the reader begins to suffocate in all the sweetness. You begin to cringe at treacly lines like "Heaven's on down the trail a little bit" and "I oftentimes have communication problems with my heart." Ms. Kingsolver is oftentimes a talented, funny writer in "Pigs in Heaven," but after a while you begin to wish she would invent a Hell, Okla., and make a case for living there, too.

Barbara Kingsolver's terrific new novel, "Pigs in Heaven," picks up where her highly acclaimed first novel, "The Bean Trees," left off. In this heart-twisting sequel, her feisty young heroine, Taylor Greer, is faced with the possibility of losing her 6-year-old daughter, Turtle.

Barbara Kingsolverprimary authorall editionscalculated
Critt, C. J.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Camille
Women on their own run in Alice's family.

A phenomenal bestseller and winner of the Los Angeles Times Book Award for fiction, Pigs in Heaven continues the story of Taylor and Turtle, first introduced in The Bean Trees.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:15 -0400)

Brings together Taylor, Turtle and Alice from "The Bean Trees" together with a new cast - Jax, Barbie Sugar Boss, Oklahoma and Annawake Fourkiller. When six-year-old Turtle witnesses a freak accident at the Hoover Dam, her insistence, and her mother's belief in her, leads to a man's rescue.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,823,181 books! | Top bar: Always visible