The collected stories by Eudora Welty

The collected stories (edition 2002)

by Eudora Welty

Title:The collected stories
Authors:Eudora Welty
Info:Book-of-the-Month Club (2002), Hardcover, 622 pages
Tags:collection, fiction, short fiction

The Collected Stories of Eudora Welty by Eudora Welty

Recently added byevelynway, middlemarchhare, mbvinstrup, private library, ryansutter, sumilou2, Lollymom, DukeViaIowa
Legacy LibrariesNorman Mailer, Walker Percy
    The Lottery and Other Stories by Shirley Jackson (whitewavedarling)
    whitewavedarling: Welty and Jackson work with similar character types and have similar themes and writing styles. Other than those fans who enjoy Welty primarily for her station in Southern Lit., I'd say that fans of one writer will likely enjoy the short stories of the other.… (more)

I picked this book up for Why I live at the P.O.
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
Finished Welty's first collection, A Curtain of Green and Other Stories, published in 1941. Highly recommended. My favorite stories include "Keela, the Outcast Indian Maiden," "A Curtain of Green," "Old Mr. Marblehall" and "Why I Live at the P.O." Of the 17 stories here the only one that doesn't seem to work is "Powerhouse"--perhaps because of all the dialogue rendered in dialect. Everything else has held up remarkably well. ( )
  William345 | Jun 11, 2014 |
Cannot get into her stories. I don't know what is wrong with me. My grandmother loved them. I loved Delta Wedding, but have not been able to stay the course with any short stories...??
  AnneSteph | Nov 14, 2013 |
I found this collection to be a mixed bag. I loved some of the stories, disliked a few, and found some too long. I preferred the first set 'A Curtain of Green and Other Stories' and the last set 'The Bride of the Innisfallen and Other Stories'; in particular, I would recommend the stories "Why I Live at the P.O.", "Circe", "Kin", and "Lily Daw and the Three Ladies".

leslie.98 | Jun 26, 2013 |
In a time where I see 800+ page novels as common and editing has become a lost art, Eudora's short stories are truly counter cultural. She say more in 3-500 words than most writers can in 3-500 pages. Less is definitely more. I remember the first time I read one of her stories. I drove the next day to Jackson, MS and knocked on her door. She invited me in to talk. I'm sure we were a spectacle. She looked like a classic, Southern school marm and I was in ripped up jeans, punk t-shirt, combat boots and piercings. The whole of the Southern struggle and angst is wrapped up wonderfully inside these stories. Treat them with respect, and they'll envelope you like warm blankets on a cool night. ( )
2 vote revslick | Jul 21, 2012 |
I was nineteen years old in 1981 when I first read Eudora Welty. It was an experience characterized by a sense of immediate recognition and also by the shock young people sometimes feel at the realization that their elders are far less concerned with good behavior than they themselves are.

Eudora Welty is one of the finest writers of the American South and her astonishing ability to 'enter the mind, heart and skin of a being who is not myself' is uniquely demonstrated in this extraordinary collection of stories.
Deaf-mute child, jazz player, bigamist - all are portrayed with perfection and clarity. From small town Jackson to plush New Orleans, Eudora Welty encapsulates in a snapshot of prose the place, the people, the idiosyncrasies of her native country and brings them to life with the grace and intelligence of a born storyteller.
This complete collection includes all the published stories of Eudora Welty.

With a preface written by the author especially for this edition, this is the complete collection of stories by Eudora Welty.

Including the earlier collections A Curtain of Green, The Wide Net, The Golden Apples, and The Bride of the Innisfallen, as well as previously uncollected ones, these forty-one stories demonstrate Eudora Welty's talent for writing from diverse points-of-view with “vision that is sweet by nature, always humanizing, uncannily objective, but never angry” (Washington Post).

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:31 -0400)

This omnibus volume by one of the South's greatest writers includes stories published prior to 1980.

47 wanted2 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,962,088 books! | Top bar: Always visible