The Road from Coorain by Jill Ker Conway

The Road from Coorain (1989)

by Jill Ker Conway

Wonderful book. Many very memorable stories. My mother-in-law, Tatty recommended this and I am very glad she did. I have suggested it to lots of my friends. If you like this you might also like 20 Chickens for a Saddle that takes place in Botswana. ( )
  njcur | Jul 9, 2014 |

Not as satisfying as it should have been. Some parts are beautifully written and evocative but at times it gets in it's own way and sometimes I wonder of she really did see the world in such purely academic terms. She skates over, as much as she goes into, the emotional aspects of her life. It's a curious but interesting mix.
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
The first book of any sort I have ever read that captured both the beauty and the harshness of the Western Riverina and its endless horizons. The story really drew me in. I must add that I am from around this general area and first read this book whilst away at boarding school so this may have coloured my perception of the book. ( )
  charlottelow | Jun 10, 2013 |
As long as this memoir stayed in Coorain, I was captivated. Once it strayed down the road, my interest waned. The struggle of Jill Ker Conway's family to make a living on 18,000 acres of droughty Australian outback has an exotic and almost heroic appeal. Her subsequent teens and early twenties in Sydney, contending with a difficult mother while trying to find her path in academia, don't have nearly the lustre. The writing is careful and has a whiff of scholarly writing, especially in the way that Conway takes a reductionist approach where almost every event or person gets somehow explained away. Sometimes it feels more like dissection than memoir, and not much leeway is left for the reader to imaginatively connect with Conway's younger self.

My own dwindling interest post-Coorain, is mirrored in the reception of her three memoirs: the further her ambitions pulled her from Coorain, the less interest there was in her books - each appealing to a progressively narrower audience. Regardless though, of how appreciative one might be of Conway's achievements as a pioneering woman in modern day postsecondary education, the trajectory of her life is breathtaking by any standard. As a child she alone could comfort her young father through his horrifying nightmares of Ypres, Passchendaele, and France. Nowadays her interviews and speeches are featured on Youtube. Her cohort, those who came of age in the 1930s and 1940s, and who are now hitting their 80s, have lived through more profound social, cultural, technological, and political change than any other. In Conway's case this passage is amplified by how far she also came geographically and by how much she was able to achieve along the way. ( )
  maritimer | Jun 8, 2013 |
Autobiographical.
Australia is a hard place and this book is riveting in the recollections of a sheep ranch and 8 years of drought. Much family hardship and much much to overcome. For another book, I assume - she becomes first female president of Smith College.
Read in 2010. ( )
  CasaBooks | Apr 28, 2013 |
For John
The western plains of New South Wales are grasslands.

Given me by Jack Roberts on very high recommendation, 12/18/13.

From the shelter of a protective family, to the lessons of tragedy and independence, this is an indelible portrait of a harsh and beautiful country and the inspiring story of a remarkable woman's life.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:56 -0400)

A woman of intellect and ambition describes growing up on an Australian ranch, coping with her father's death and her mother's depression, her intellectual awakening at the university, and her path to becoming Smith College's first woman president.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,628,739 books! | Top bar: Always visible