The New Mistress at the Chalet School by…

The New Mistress at the Chalet School (original 1957; edition 1957)

by Elinor M. Brent-Dyer

Member:CDVicarage
Title:The New Mistress at the Chalet School
Authors:Elinor M. Brent-Dyer
Info:W & R Chambers (1957), Hardcover, 223 pages
Collections:Your library, Kerry's, Girlsown, Paper Books
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Chalet School, Girlsown

The New Mistress at the Chalet School by Elinor M. Brent-Dyer (1957)

Rather than being about new girls at the school, this about a new staff member. Kathie Ferrars is 22 and delighted to be offered a post at the Chalet School in Switzerland. The first chapters see her with her aunt, and then meeting some of her colleagues as she embarks on the journey from the UK.

The characterisation is good (albeit stereotyped in some instances), and the story-lines nicely done. The writing is, in places, a little repetitive, and features a bit too much author viewpoint; but I'm still glad to have a hardback edition rather than the much-abridged Armada paperback.

The books all stand alone and this might even make a good introduction to the series, although there are so many references to earlier books (with footnotes) that it would probably be better to read at least a few of the earlier ones first. It’s not quite a five-star book, but I’d award it four and a half if I could. Definitely recommended.
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
I didn't even realise I had this one been wanting to find out more about 'Ferry's' beginning in the school. It was nice to read from a mistresses point of view and make her seem more human esp with her issues with Mary-Lou.
Memorable things include the famous Yseult, what a character! It definitely helped form a better picture of Yseult or should I say 'picturesque'! From reading a later book, I think 'Excitements of the Chalet School' I didn't have a fully formed idea of what she was more a negative which she nevertheless is but it makes me sympathise with her idiocy in the other book.
Also the entertainment for staff by prefects was pretty good, just makes you think there aren't many schools which would allow such a thing. :P

I would call it a good read but not stand out one in the sense I had a more rounded idea of gaps filled from books further down the line but not the overall satisfied feeling of a great read.
One thing I was hoping to find a mention of was Spot Supper. Must be another book! :",",,,,,0,,,,,
1175271,Two Sams at the Chalet School (The Chalet School ( )
  JazMinderr | Jul 31, 2014 |
Loved this one ( )
  kbrady | Nov 8, 2009 |
To Penny Gobat with much love.
"Kathie - Kathie!"

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,834,866 books! | Top bar: Always visible