Great Short Works of Leo Tolstoy (Perennial…

Great Short Works of Leo Tolstoy (Perennial Classics)

by Leo Tolstoy

Other authors: John Bayley (Introduction)

A great way to get introduced to the works of Leo Tolstoy. "Alyosha the Pot" is only 6 pages long. It would be ridiculous to "review" the works of Tolstoy, as if a reviewer had something to say that was more worth the time reading than that could otherwise be spent reading Tolstoy. ( )
  cliffmon | Jan 2, 2017 |
I have a vivid memory of being astounded by this when I read it in college. It was my first contact with Tolstoy, and the intensity of things like "The Kreutzer Sonata" just blew me away. There is also a great deal of variety here, from colorful tales like "The Cossacks" to the doleful "Death of Ivan Ilych."

Sorry for the vague review, but it's been many years. Would love to walk through this one with Gumby, any day. ( )
  tungsten_peerts | Jan 7, 2016 |
Read in college, I believed that Tolstoy was the world's greatest writer. I've since changed my mind, but I really lost sleep over pondering these stories. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
Great works containing The Cossacks, The Death of Ivan Ilych, and The Kreutzer Sonata.

JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |
He is an amazing writer. His short works are perfect introduction to his minds and to beginners alike. I definitely recommends Leo Tolstoy beginners to read his short works first before moving on to his major novels like Anna Karenina or War And Peace in order to get used to his style of writing.

I enjoyed this purchase very much. ( )
  Nabilah | Nov 17, 2012 |

Leo Tolstoyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bayley, JohnIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:21 -0400)

Summary: Of all Russian writers Leo Tolstoy is probably the best known to the Western world, largely because of War and Peace, his epic in prose, and Anna Karenina, one of the most splendid novels in any language. But during his long lifetime Tolstoy also wrote enough shorter works to fill many volumes. Here reprinted in one volume are his eight finest short novels, together with "Alyosha the Pot", the little tale that Prince Mirsky described as "a masterpiece of rare perfection."… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,111,239 books! | Top bar: Always visible