Some Danger Involved by Will Thomas

Some Danger Involved

by Will Thomas

3.5 stars. After a stint in prison and having lost his wife to consumption, young Thomas Llewelyn has just about lost hope of finding a position in London. He answers an advertisement as an assistant to enquiry agent Cyrus Barker, planning to jump off a bridge later if this last effort proves unsuccessful. Luckily Barker sees Llewelyn's worth and hires him. Their first case involves the murder by crucifixion of a young Jewish scholar.

The best thing about this book is the two lead characters. Their relationship grows very slowly and realistically throughout the novel. At the start Thomas is not sure what to make of his eccentric employer and is unsure if he should continue in his employ. But very slowly they learn more about each other and form a good working relationship, and eventually a friendship. Thomas is a very sympathetic character and you really feel his pain and depression. Cyrus is a very strange man yet you come to realize he sees far more than most people. I also liked that he seems very open minded and non-judgmental. There are obvious influences of Sherlock Holmes in this story, yet it stands on its own.

I will definitely be trying the next in the series. ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
Audible Daily Deal $3.95 on May 21, 2017

This was originally a 2004 release and the first of the Barker & Llewelyn series which now numbers 8 books with 2016's "Hell Bay". The "Some Danger Involved" audiobook is a more recent edition with a 2016 release.

This was a thoroughly enjoyable mentor and student detective partnership with Scots enquiry agent Cyrus Barker taking on young Welshman Thomas Llewelyn as his assistant with the crucifixion murder of a Jewish student as their first case. It goes beyond the standard Victorian detective genre giving a view to the multicultural world of greater London with a variety of international characters, foods and trivia. The audiobook performance by Antony Ferguson was excellent. ( )
  alanteder | May 30, 2017 |
I read to page 49 and just decided that I have other books that I want to read more. It started off alright but it just wasnt keeping my attention. I may pick up again later but for now Im moving on.
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
I found this to be a very good Victorian mystery, well written and always moving. I really liked The Reading Group Guide at the end. I hope the rest of the Barker & Llewelyn books are just as good. ( )
  Philip100 | Jul 27, 2016 |
Surprising at the end. ( )
  cygnet81 | Jan 17, 2016 |
To Julia

You are all fair, my love, and their is no spot in you.

— Song of Solomon 4:7
If someone had told me, those many years ago, that I would spend the bulk of my life as assistant and eventual partner to one of the most eminent detectives in London, I would have thought him a raving lunatic. (Prologue)
Assistant to prominent enquiry agent. Typing and shorthand required. Some danger involved in performance of duties. Salary commensurate with ability. 7 Craig's Court.

So ran the advertisement in the "Situations vacant" column of The Times for the fourth day straight. (Chapter 1)

An atmospheric debut novel set on the gritty streets of Victorian London, Some Danger Involved introduces detective Cyrus Barker and his assistant, Thomas Llewelyn, as they work to solve the gruesome murder of a young scholar in London's Jewish ghetto. When the eccentric and enigmatic Barker takes the case, he must hire an assistant, and out of all who answer an ad for a position with "some danger involved," he chooses downtrodden Llewelyn, a gutsy young man with a murky past.

As they inch ever closer to the shocking truth behind the murder, Llewelyn is drawn deeper and deeper into Barker's peculiar world of vigilante detective work, as well as the heart of London's teeming underworld. Brimming with wit and unforgettable characters and steeped in authentic period detail, Some Danger Involved is a captivating page-turner that introduces an equally captivating duo.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:25 -0400)

"Set on the gritty streets of Victorian London, Some Danger Involved introduces detective Cyrus Barker and his apprentice, Thomas Llewelyn, as they work to solve the gruesome murder of a young scholar."--BOOK JACKET. "As Llewelyn learns the ropes of his position, he is drawn deeper and deeper into Barker's peculiar world of vigilante detective work, as well as the dark heart of London's teeming underworld. Together they pass through chophouses, stables, and clandestine tea rooms, tangling with the early Italian mafia, a mad professor of eugenics, and other shadowy figures, inching ever closer to the shocking truth behind the murder."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Will Thomas is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,234,615 books! | Top bar: Always visible