Some Danger Involved: A Novel by Will Thomas

Some Danger Involved: A Novel (edition 2005)

by Will Thomas

Member:EscritoraSarita
Title:Some Danger Involved: A Novel
Authors:Will Thomas
Info:Touchstone (2005), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 304 pages
Tags:read in 2012, mystery, historical fiction, england

Some Danger Involved by Will Thomas

Recently added byprivate library, BillieBook, beckyclayton, plunkinberry, CJSTheWriter, ktswjw, Ghostly1

The first book in a promising series of Victorian England detective novels finds the somewhat superhuman but attractively eccentric sleuth Cyrus Barker and his green but plucky assistant, Thomas Llewellyn, on the trail of the vicious Anti-Semite League. The book provides interesting insights into Jewish life in 1884 England and features cameos from historical Jewish figures such as the centenarian Sir Moses Montefiore and the 21-year-old Israel Zangwill (future author of "The Melting Pot"). I loved the vividness with which London was portrayed, especially the neighborhood of Elephant and Castle, (which I visited exactly 100 years later), and the dialog and plot are soundly constructed. However, the book suffered from what I take to be first-novel flaws, most notably a rather over-explicated solution to the mystery, in which the villain delivers a monologue over a page long explaining in great detail how he dunnit as one of the heroes is in mortal peril. Also, very strangely, the novel is written in American English despite being set entirely in London. Finally, the novel was apparently edited via spell-check: a character filed down the "site" of his pistol and commented on the "yoke" of his eggs. I hope both the writing and the editing improve in future entries in the series—which I intend to read. ( )
  john.cooper | Jun 24, 2014 |
I liked this novel. While not as detailed as, for example, a Sherlock Holmes novel, the plot did hold my attention and I found that I enjoyed reading the novel from the "assistant", Llewelyn's point of view. Now off to read the next installment! ( )
  Arkrayder | Feb 6, 2014 |
Every November (with the exception of while I was in college), I re-read the Complete Sherlock Holmes. If there was ever a series that could fill the yearning I always end up feeling for more of the same kind of Victorian mystery and pure friendship, this is it.

Barker and Llewellyn are a great pair, and these are the kinds of books you simply get completely lost in. In addition to Barker's Orient roots, adding an interesting perspective on Victorian London, the narration sweeps you into a bustling world on both sides of the track in every book.

The supporting characters, such as Mac, the butler or the French chef Etienne, are all as interesting as the protagonists. You spend much of the book looking forward to bumping into the minor characters as much as you do to following the always-clever plot twists.

If Holmes and Watson are to ever have competition in the hearts of mystery lovers, Barker and Llewellyn are sure to be front runners in giving it.

For more of my book reviews, please visit my blog, The Body on the Floor at http://www.bodyonthefloor.blogspot.com. ( )
  Shutzie27 | Feb 2, 2014 |
Probably more of 3.5 stars, but it was better than average and it was well done.
It a good sink you teeth into it classic mystery and detection story with plenty of red herrings all looking like smoked salmon!
Interesting characterizations, realistic London locale, believable.

I will read the next in this series.
  binadaat | Sep 27, 2013 |
A bit slow going at times. I enjoyed it for it's atmosphere (Victorian England). ( )
  Myckyee | Aug 31, 2013 |
To Julia

You are all fair, my love, and their is no spot in you.

— Song of Solomon 4:7
If someone had told me, those many years ago, that I would spend the bulk of my life as assistant and eventual partner to one of the most eminent detectives in London, I would have thought him a raving lunatic. (Prologue)
Assistant to prominent enquiry agent. Typing and shorthand required. Some danger involved in performance of duties. Salary commensurate with ability. 7 Craig's Court.

So ran the advertisement in the "Situations vacant" column of The Times for the fourth day straight. (Chapter 1)

An atmospheric debut novel set on the gritty streets of Victorian London, Some Danger Involved introduces detective Cyrus Barker and his assistant, Thomas Llewelyn, as they work to solve the gruesome murder of a young scholar in London's Jewish ghetto. When the eccentric and enigmatic Barker takes the case, he must hire an assistant, and out of all who answer an ad for a position with "some danger involved," he chooses downtrodden Llewelyn, a gutsy young man with a murky past.

As they inch ever closer to the shocking truth behind the murder, Llewelyn is drawn deeper and deeper into Barker's peculiar world of vigilante detective work, as well as the heart of London's teeming underworld. Brimming with wit and unforgettable characters and steeped in authentic period detail, Some Danger Involved is a captivating page-turner that introduces an equally captivating duo.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:45 -0400)

"Set on the gritty streets of Victorian London, Some Danger Involved introduces detective Cyrus Barker and his apprentice, Thomas Llewelyn, as they work to solve the gruesome murder of a young scholar."--BOOK JACKET. "As Llewelyn learns the ropes of his position, he is drawn deeper and deeper into Barker's peculiar world of vigilante detective work, as well as the dark heart of London's teeming underworld. Together they pass through chophouses, stables, and clandestine tea rooms, tangling with the early Italian mafia, a mad professor of eugenics, and other shadowy figures, inching ever closer to the shocking truth behind the murder."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Will Thomas is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,104,689 books! | Top bar: Always visible