dismiss

Blue Heaven: A Novel by C.J. Box

Blue Heaven: A Novel (edition 2008)

by C.J. Box (Author)

A twelve-year-old girl and her younger brother go on the run in the woods of North Idaho, pursued by four men they have just watched commit murder--four men who know exactly who William and Annie are, and who know exactly where their desperate mother is waiting for news of her children's fate. Retired cops from Los Angeles, the killers easily persuade the inexperienced sheriff to let them lead the search for the missing children. William and Annie's unexpected savior comes in the form of an old-school rancher teetering on the brink of foreclosure.--From publisher description.… (more)
Member:mozey
Title:Blue Heaven: A Novel
Authors:C.J. Box (Author)
Info:Minotaur Books (2008), Edition: Reprint, 384 pages

Blue Heaven by C. J. Box

Heat by Stuart Woods (dara85)
    dara85: Both books take place in Idaho and involve corruption.
    Ice Hunter: A Woods Cop Mystery by Joseph Heywood (ckNikka)
    ckNikka: Interesting plot and story lines a great Series

English (49)  Swedish (2)  All languages (51)
Definitely original story line for this type of book. Pretty entertaining read. ( )
  motherraccoon | Jan 8, 2020 |
My first book by C.J. Box and I thought it was a great read. He intertwined a few different stories and it made for an interesting read. You weren't quite sure what was going to happen next. I will be looking for more of his books to read! ( )
  Chelz286 | Aug 26, 2018 |
I absolutely loved this book. The good folks have integrity and determination from the start, or else they get it along the way. The book is big on heart, not the mushy kind, but the strong kind. I was reminded of books by E.J. Ruek and C.J. (Country) James (pens of D.L. Keur). Box tells a great story in a setting that I've never experienced. It's obvious that he has experienced it.

The book is a thriller in a modern country setting. I listened to the audio version which was well done. I am considering reading the print version at a later date just to take in more of it. Meanwhile, I'll be checking more into C.J. Box. ( )
  ajlewis2 | Jul 11, 2018 |

Blue Heaven is a little out of my usual reading. The summary was calling to me and I had to see what would happen to these two kids that were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

What I liked about Blue Heaven is that I got to read through many of the characters point of views including one of the villains who doesn't feel right about hunting down and killing a couple of kids. Newkirk is an ex-cop who was one of the guys who shot and killed someone in the woods. There is also Gonzalez - who is so messed up in the head as in run away screaming from him if you ever got close - and Singer the ruthless leader. There's another bad guy but I won't mention him because it might take away from the suspense of the book. They all have done really messed up things that can be pretty graphic and disturbing so you might want to take that into account if you are ever considering reading this book. They are all apart of something big that you don't realize until another ex-cop named Eduardo Villatoro starts digging up dirt.

The other point of views I got to read were from this banker who also has something to do with all the ex-cops. After a visit with Villatoro he goes slightly off the rails worrying about what he didn't do long ago. Meanwhile Jess Rawlins, a rancher who can't afford to pay his bills, finds the missing kids Annie and William shaken up by what they've seen. There's also their mother who becomes a prisoner in her own home by the ex-cops who have essentially taken over the investigation from the Sheriff.

Literally no one believes these kids when they tell them what they saw which truly frustrated me. Just because it's a quiet town doesn't mean that bad things can't happen. Annie and William are both likable characters. Annie in particular is very brash and in your face. She was by far my favorite character and all the time I hoped she would make it out alive. Blue Heaven built up it's suspense and was able to connect all the story lines wonderfully. Also, I know it's a lot but the POV's worked really well in this story. It didn't overwhelm me or anything.

Blue Heaven was a really intense, suspenseful read that could be quite graphic at times yet it helped the book portray a sense of urgency in helping Annie and William. There's a lot that went into this story to make it a really great read especially if you are craving some suspense and mystery in your reading life. ( )
  AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |
Two siblings are on the run in the woods after seeing four men commit murder. The children find hope in the form of a unlikely hero and small town rancher, Jess Rawlins , who can trust no one.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Mar 12, 2018 |
In countries where associations are free, secret societies are unknown. In America there are factions, but no conspiracies.
Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America, 1835
WELCOME TO THE INLAND NORTHWEST
sign greeting arrivals at Spokane Airport
For Ann Rittenberg
,,,and Laurie, always
If twelve-year-old Annie Taylor had not chosen to take her little brother William fishing on that particular Friday afternoon in April during the wet North Idaho spring, she never would have seen the execution or looked straight into the eyes of the executioners.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,912,943 books! | Top bar: Always visible