Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah (1977)

by Richard Bach

Series: Illusions {Bach} (1)

In the cloud-washed airspace between the cornfields of Illinois and blue infinity, a man puts his faith in the propeller of his biplane. For disillusioned writer and itinerant barnstormer Richard Bach, belief is as real as a full tank of gas and sparks firing in the cylinders...until he meets Donald Shimoda--former mechanic and self-described messiah who can make wrenches fly and Richard's imagination soar.... In Illusions, the unforgettable follow-up to his phenomenal bestseller Jonathan Livingston Seagull, Richard Bach takes to the air to discover the ageless truths that give our souls wings: that people don't need airplanes to soar...that even the darkest clouds have meaning once we lift ourselves above them... and that messiahs can be found in the unlikeliest places--like hay fields, one-traffic-light midwestern towns, and most of all, deep within ourselves.… (more)

English (62)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (65)
I liked the b asic message of this book, life is change embrace it, we create our own happiness and our own miser, that time and space and this world that we are so attached to is an illusion. An illusion that we can choose to change or give up at any time.
  LoisSusan | Dec 10, 2020 |
I read this when I was a kid and it really did influence me, as did Jonathan Livingston Seagull. I love reality bending fiction and I also loved the bent it had toward living with wisdom. I can't imagine what my life would have been without being surrounded by good notions like that. Of course, it was also surrounded by reality bending, too, so maybe I was pretty messed up as a kid. Fortunately, I read a lot in order to shuck-off all of those reality-bending mindscapes in favor of new reality-bending mindscapes. As we all know, more reality-bending is better. Right? Right?
Regardless, it was one of the best, and first books that I had read of its kind and I suppose it will always have a great spot in my heart. Love and wisdom, after all, are some of the best things in the world. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
the most beautiful place in the world
  victor.k.jacobsson | May 23, 2020 |
There is so much wisdom and so much nonsense in this book, but even the nonsense is beautiful.

While thinking you can walk through walls, or on water, or swim in land won't make it so, the point of the book is that believing and acting on those beliefs helps make things happen, while being convinced that something is impossible never makes it easier. ( )
  jordanjones | Feb 21, 2020 |
"There was a master come unto the earth, born in the holy land of Indiana, raised in the mystical hills east of Fort Wayne ... and he smiled upon the multitudes and said pleasantly unto them, 'I quit.'"
  PAFM | Dec 5, 2019 |
Here is a test to find whether your mission on earth is finished: If you're alive, it isn't.
1. There was a Master come unto the earth, born in the holy land of Indiana, raised in the mystical hills east of Fort Wayne.
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,485,304 books! | Top bar: Always visible