In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

In Cold Blood (1965)

by Truman Capote

Recently added bybaranyok, private library, TheTowers, odeb, Chan-A-Sue, mariusgm
Legacy LibrariesNewton 'Bud' Flounders, Astrid Lindgren
    Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi (artturnerjr)
    The Executioner's Song by Norman Mailer (VisibleGhost)
    The Last Day of a Condemned Man by Victor Hugo (lilisin)
    Operación Masacre by Rodolfo Walsh (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: 'Operation Massacre' by Rodolfo Walsh predates 'In Cold Blood' and is regarded as the work originating modern 'true crime'. In this case, the reportage covers the 1956 police execution of a group of men in Buenos Aires during the 'Dirty War'.
    Big Trouble by J. Anthony Lukas (FFortuna)
    The Family of Pascual Duarte by Camilo Jose Cela (caflores)
    caflores: Dos historias sobre violencia provocada por el ambiente, y dos narraciones crudas y frías.
    Fame and Obscurity by Gay Talese (Ronoc)
    So Long, See You Tomorrow by William Maxwell (Jesse_wiedinmyer)
    Capote in Kansas: A Ghost Story by Kim Powers (bnbookgirl)
    The Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima (GYKM)
    GYKM: In 1956, Yukio Mishima not only conducted background research into the crime that he would base his psychological novel on but he also interviewed the arsonist. The Temple of the Golden Pavilion is a melding of fiction, fact, and autobiography.
    I am Charlotte Simmons by Tom Wolfe (Voracious_Reader)
    Voracious_Reader: Not a true crime story. It is part of the New Journalism body of work.

English (257)  Spanish (8)  French (2)  Catalan (2)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (276)
I think that an author who can reveal the killers near the beginning, and not only get their reader to finish, but to NONSTOP read the book is indeed highly skilled.

I've always greatly enjoyed murder mysteries, or real life murder stories, etc. mainly for the psychological component of both the criminals and those affected by the crimes. This book encompasses everything I love about crime novel. Amazing! ( )
  Czarmoriarty | Aug 26, 2014 |
When I began the journey of this book, I was under the false impression that the book was fiction. At that time, I thought it was distasteful for Capote to pick such a kind, generous, and overall underserving of any malace to be brutally slaughtered (after all, why do murder victims always have to be good people?). Then I was corrected--it's a true story.

Then I read the back of the book, which tells us that Capote wrote the story of the murder of the Clutter family, the capture, trial and execution of thier killers.

And that was the rest of the book. It's interesting, however, despite that I now 'know' the outcome of the book, how I could be so captured by it. Asking myself, "How do they ever find the killers?!?!" That was probably more of Capote's writing than the actual story itself?

A good book, well worth reading. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

A good book, well worth reading. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
This was a good true-crime book. Even though Capote seemed to be trying to drum up sympathy for the killer, it didn't work for me--off with his head! The description of the events of that fateful night overrode any so-called mitigating circumstances (which seemed weak to me, anyway). I felt justice was served. ( )
  darcy36 | Jul 8, 2014 |
Read during Fall 2006

Extremely well written but creepy nonetheless. Capote strikes a delicate balance with his descriptions of the two killers; there is no doubt that they are killers but there is almost a sympathy for their dreadful lives and personalites. The horror of the crime is never lost and the people invovled stay very real. It's strange to say it reads like fiction because it is clearly written as nonfiction.
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
If nothing else, In Cold Blood justifies another Capote conviction: that when reportage commands the highest literary skills, it can approach the level of art.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jan 21, 1966)

Capote, Trumanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Borràs, Maria LluïsaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Breckan, Eldor MartinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cornips, ThérèseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Larsstuvold, RuneForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Een waar verslag van een viervoudige moord en zijn gevolgen.
Freres humains qui apres nour vivez

N'ayez les cuers contre nous endurcis,

Car, se pitie de nous povres avez,

Dieu en aura plus tost de vous mercis

Francois Villon (Ballade des pendus)
Brothers, men who live after us,
Let not your hearts be hardened against us,
Because, if you have pity for us poor men,
God will have more mercy toward you.
For Jack Dunphy and Harper Lee with my love and gratitude
The village of Holcomb stands on the high wheat plains of western Kansas, a lonesome area that other Kansans call 'out there'.
Mensenbroeders, gij die na ons leeft, wil niet verbitterd aan ons denken, want wie erbarmen met ons armen heeft, zal God veel eerder zijn genade schenken. (François Villon - Ballade der gehangenen)

Two cons kill family.
Reporter relates the tale
In fiction format.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679745580, Paperback)

"Until one morning in mid-November of 1959, few Americans--in fact, few Kansans--had ever heard of Holcomb. Like the waters of the river, like the motorists on the highway, and like the yellow trains streaking down the Santa Fe tracks, drama, in the shape of exceptional happenings, had never stopped there." If all Truman Capote did was invent a new genre--journalism written with the language and structure of literature--this "nonfiction novel" about the brutal slaying of the Clutter family by two would-be robbers would be remembered as a trail-blazing experiment that has influenced countless writers. But Capote achieved more than that. He wrote a true masterpiece of creative nonfiction. The images of this tale continue to resonate in our minds: 16-year-old Nancy Clutter teaching a friend how to bake a cherry pie, Dick Hickock's black '49 Chevrolet sedan, Perry Smith's Gibson guitar and his dreams of gold in a tropical paradise--the blood on the walls and the final "thud-snap" of the rope-broken necks.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:02 -0400)

An account of the senseless murder of a Kansas farm family and the search for the killers.

Four editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182571, 014103839X, 0141043083, 0241956838

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,678,548 books! | Top bar: Always visible