In Cold Blood (Popular Penguins) by Truman…

In Cold Blood (Popular Penguins) (original 1965; edition 2008)

by Truman Capote (Author)

19,548394137 (4.14)2 / 766
National Bestseller  On November 15, 1959, in the small town of Holcomb, Kansas, four members of the Clutter family were savagely murdered by blasts from a shotgun held a few inches from their faces. There was no apparent motive for the crime, and there were almost no clues.  As Truman Capote reconstructs the murder and the investigation that led to the capture, trial, and execution of the killers, he generates both mesmerizing suspense and astonishing empathy. In Cold Blood is a work that transcends its moment, yielding poignant insights into the nature of American violence.… (more)
Member:ThePinkCook
Title:In Cold Blood (Popular Penguins)
Authors:Truman Capote (Author)
Info:Penguin Books Ltd (2008), Edition: export ed, 352 pages

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote (1965)

Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi (artturnerjr)
    The Executioner's Song by Norman Mailer (VisibleGhost)
    Operación Masacre by Rodolfo Walsh (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: 'Operation Massacre' by Rodolfo Walsh predates 'In Cold Blood' and is regarded as the work originating modern 'true crime'. In this case, the reportage covers the 1956 police execution of a group of men in Buenos Aires during the 'Dirty War'.
    The Last Day of a Condemned Man by Victor Hugo (lilisin)
    Mockingbird: A Portrait of Harper Lee by Charles J. Shields (edwinbcn)
    Big Trouble: A Murder in a Small Western Town Sets Off a Struggle for the Soul of America by J. Anthony Lukas (FFortuna)
    So Long, See You Tomorrow by William Maxwell (Jesse_wiedinmyer)
    The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Fame and Obscurity by Gay Talese (Ronoc)
    Dark Places by Gillian Flynn (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Dark Places was undoubtedly influenced by In Cold Blood, but brings an interesting form of storytelling to superficially similar plot lines.
    The Family of Pascual Duarte by Camilo José Cela (caflores)
    caflores: Dos historias sobre violencia provocada por el ambiente, y dos narraciones crudas y frías.
    Zeitoun by Dave Eggers (Othemts)
    The Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima (GYKM)
    GYKM: In 1956, Yukio Mishima not only conducted background research into the crime that he would base his psychological novel on but he also interviewed the arsonist. The Temple of the Golden Pavilion is a melding of fiction, fact, and autobiography.
    Capote in Kansas: A Ghost Story by Kim Powers (bnbookgirl)
    I Am Charlotte Simmons by Tom Wolfe (Voracious_Reader)
    Voracious_Reader: Not a true crime story. It is part of the New Journalism body of work.
1960s (1)
Read (13)

English (364)  Spanish (9)  Italian (5)  Catalan (4)  French (3)  Dutch (3)  Hungarian (1)  Norwegian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (393)
Just a good read. If you know the basic story behind a story, you know how it is going to come out, and you still enjoy reading it, you are still fully engaged, then the story is well-told. That was In Cold Blood for me. Certainly the mid-West of this book has become my adopted part of the country and reading a story that is set in this part of the country adds some interest, but that was a minor effect. The writing was clear and straight-forward; it did not get between you and the story. The story drew you along with the chance to get to know the Clutters and to try and reach some understanding of what motivated Perry and Dick. For a book that supposedly established a new genre, it set a high bar. The story was as interesting to read today as I can imagine it was when it was first published. ( )
  afkendrick | Oct 24, 2020 |
I overall enjoyed the book, but thought that it would have been more effective had it truncated the trial/incarceration section. ( )
  kohrmanmj | Sep 21, 2020 |
It would be presumptuous to do a review of this book, where so many others have. It did break my resolution to be a harder "grader." Five stars was a no-brainer. Astounding, breathtaking. A writing style that is almost invisible, yet drives forward like a metronome. I really can't explain why it tok me 50(!) years to get to this but so glad that I finally did. ( )
  shaundeane | Sep 13, 2020 |
Superbly written but my modern sensibilities found it oddly structured and paced. If you’re interested in a slow, simmering insight into a community, the motivations and backgrounds of two very different killers and the minutiae of an investigation and court case then this is all that and more. It’s just not a thrill a minute page turner. ( )
  DavidArrowsmith | Sep 12, 2020 |
Good read ( )
  devendradave | Sep 1, 2020 |
If nothing else, In Cold Blood justifies another Capote conviction: that when reportage commands the highest literary skills, it can approach the level of art.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jan 21, 1966)

Truman Capoteprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fujita, S. NeilCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Larsstuvold, RuneForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ricci Dèttore, MariapaolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomson, RupertIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Een waar verslag van een viervoudige moord en zijn gevolgen.
Freres humains qui apres nour vivez

N'ayez les cuers contre nous endurcis,

Car, se pitie de nous povres avez,

Dieu en aura plus tost de vous mercis

Francois Villon
Ballade des pendus
Brothers, men who live after us,
Let not your hearts be hardened against us,
Because, if you have pity for us poor men,
God will have more mercy toward you.
FOR Jack Dunphy AND Harper Lee
WITH MY LOVE AND GRATITUDE
The village of Holcomb stands on the high wheat plains of western Kansas, a lonesome area that other Kansans call 'out there'.
Mensenbroeders, gij die na ons leeft, wil niet verbitterd aan ons denken, want wie erbarmen met ons armen heeft, zal God veel eerder zijn genade schenken. (François Villon - Ballade der gehangenen)
In over three months I practically never left the Broadway area. For one thing, I didn't have the right clothes. Just Western clothes - jeans and boots. But there on Forty-second Street nobody cares, it all rides - anything. My whole life, I never met so many freaks.

Two cons kill family.
Reporter relates the tale
In fiction format.

4 1902

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182571, 014103839X, 0141043083, 0241956838

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,701,464 books! | Top bar: Always visible