In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

In Cold Blood (original 1966; edition 2000)

by Truman Capote

15,980334111 (4.15)2 / 633
Title:In Cold Blood
Authors:Truman Capote
Info:Penguin Classics (2000), Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:2009, non-fiction

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote (1966)

Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi (artturnerjr)
    Operación Masacre by Rodolfo Walsh (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: 'Operation Massacre' by Rodolfo Walsh predates 'In Cold Blood' and is regarded as the work originating modern 'true crime'. In this case, the reportage covers the 1956 police execution of a group of men in Buenos Aires during the 'Dirty War'.
    The Last Day of a Condemned Man by Victor Hugo (lilisin)
    Big Trouble by J. Anthony Lukas (FFortuna)
    Mockingbird by Charles J. Shields (edwinbcn)
    The Executioner's Song by Norman Mailer (VisibleGhost)
    Dark Places by Gillian Flynn (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Dark Places was undoubtedly influenced by In Cold Blood, but brings an interesting form of storytelling to superficially similar plot lines.
    The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Fame and Obscurity by Gay Talese (Ronoc)
    Midnight in Peking: How the Murder of a Young Englishwoman Haunted the Last Days of Old China by Paul French (sturlington)
    The Family of Pascual Duarte by Camilo José Cela (caflores)
    caflores: Dos historias sobre violencia provocada por el ambiente, y dos narraciones crudas y frías.
    Zeitoun by Dave Eggers (Othemts)
    The Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima (GYKM)
    GYKM: In 1956, Yukio Mishima not only conducted background research into the crime that he would base his psychological novel on but he also interviewed the arsonist. The Temple of the Golden Pavilion is a melding of fiction, fact, and autobiography.
    Capote in Kansas: A Ghost Story by Kim Powers (bnbookgirl)
    I Am Charlotte Simmons: A Novel by Tom Wolfe (Voracious_Reader)
    Voracious_Reader: Not a true crime story. It is part of the New Journalism body of work.
1960s (2)
Read (13)

English (311)  Spanish (10)  French (2)  Catalan (2)  Dutch (2)  Hungarian (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (333)
Although I knew about the book, I had never read it nor seen the movie. I was expecting something a lot more graphic and violent. That's not what this was at all. A fantastic book, getting deep into the thoughts of the two men who committed the murder. ( )
  TerriBooks | Oct 21, 2016 |
Glad to be able to scratch this off the life-list. As a native Kansan, I was probably jaded against the 'Capote amongst the rubes' reputation. I am glad I finally read it, the book is simply magnificent. ( )
  kcshankd | Aug 25, 2016 |
Scott Brick does a magnificent job narrating this 'nonfiction novel' and this audiobook edition gets an extra ½*.

I have seen the 1967 movie of this a few times (and the more recent 2005 movie Capote about his writing of this book) and so I figured that I knew what to expect. Well, although I still think that the film is excellent, the book is a different experience. For one thing, unlike in the film Capote himself is invisible - I don't think that there was a single reference to his interactions or interviews with any of the people involved. For another, there's more information about many of the "minor characters" and the Clutters themselves. A minor point which I record here so I don't forget it -- it struck me as peculiar the way Hitchcock kept using terms like "honey" when talking to Smith. It almost came across as if they were lovers though it was clear that Hitchcock's sexual preference was for underage girls...

One aspect that the book and movie shared that I find interesting is that both made me feel more sympathetic to Perry Smith than to Dick Hitchcock (even though Smith is arguably the more violent of the two). I have to wonder if that is Capote's personal bias coming through; if not, it seems a strange slant to the writing! ( )
  leslie.98 | Jul 14, 2016 |
Loved this book- one of the best I've ever had the privilege to read! ( )
  sippju01 | Jun 9, 2016 |
Thought it was time to read one of the great masterpieces. Chilling story written from the killers side and the victims side. ( )
  joannemonck | Jun 9, 2016 |
Authentic, harrowing reconstruction of the unmotivated murder of a family of four in small-town America, and the capture and conviction of their two young killers.
added by KayCliff | editNational Housewives Register Newsletter, Hazel K. Bell (Sep 1, 1976)
If nothing else, In Cold Blood justifies another Capote conviction: that when reportage commands the highest literary skills, it can approach the level of art.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jan 21, 1966)

Capote, Trumanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Borràs, Maria LluïsaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Breckan, Eldor MartinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cornips, ThérèseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dettore, MariapaolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Larsstuvold, RuneForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Een waar verslag van een viervoudige moord en zijn gevolgen.
Freres humains qui apres nour vivez

N'ayez les cuers contre nous endurcis,

Car, se pitie de nous povres avez,

Dieu en aura plus tost de vous mercis

Francois Villon (Ballade des pendus)
Brothers, men who live after us,
Let not your hearts be hardened against us,
Because, if you have pity for us poor men,
God will have more mercy toward you.
For Jack Dunphy and Harper Lee with my love and gratitude
The village of Holcomb stands on the high wheat plains of western Kansas, a lonesome area that other Kansans call 'out there'.
Mensenbroeders, gij die na ons leeft, wil niet verbitterd aan ons denken, want wie erbarmen met ons armen heeft, zal God veel eerder zijn genade schenken. (François Villon - Ballade der gehangenen)

Two cons kill family.
Reporter relates the tale
In fiction format.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679745580, Paperback)

"Until one morning in mid-November of 1959, few Americans--in fact, few Kansans--had ever heard of Holcomb. Like the waters of the river, like the motorists on the highway, and like the yellow trains streaking down the Santa Fe tracks, drama, in the shape of exceptional happenings, had never stopped there." If all Truman Capote did was invent a new genre--journalism written with the language and structure of literature--this "nonfiction novel" about the brutal slaying of the Clutter family by two would-be robbers would be remembered as a trail-blazing experiment that has influenced countless writers. But Capote achieved more than that. He wrote a true masterpiece of creative nonfiction. The images of this tale continue to resonate in our minds: 16-year-old Nancy Clutter teaching a friend how to bake a cherry pie, Dick Hickock's black '49 Chevrolet sedan, Perry Smith's Gibson guitar and his dreams of gold in a tropical paradise--the blood on the walls and the final "thud-snap" of the rope-broken necks.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:29 -0400)

An account of the senseless murder of a Kansas farm family and the search for the killers.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182571, 014103839X, 0141043083, 0241956838

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,723,472 books! | Top bar: Always visible