In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

In Cold Blood (original 1966; edition 2011)

by Truman Capote (Author), Rupert Thomson (Introduction)

16,161338110 (4.16)2 / 648
Member:letterpress
Title:In Cold Blood
Authors:Truman Capote (Author)
Other authors:Rupert Thomson (Introduction)
Info:The Folio Society, Hardcover, 2011
Tags:Crime, Biography, Reportage, Folio Society

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote (1966)

Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi (artturnerjr)
    Operación Masacre by Rodolfo Walsh (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: 'Operation Massacre' by Rodolfo Walsh predates 'In Cold Blood' and is regarded as the work originating modern 'true crime'. In this case, the reportage covers the 1956 police execution of a group of men in Buenos Aires during the 'Dirty War'.
    The Last Day of a Condemned Man by Victor Hugo (lilisin)
    Big Trouble by J. Anthony Lukas (FFortuna)
    Mockingbird by Charles J. Shields (edwinbcn)
    The Executioner's Song by Norman Mailer (VisibleGhost)
    Dark Places: A Novel by Gillian Flynn (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Dark Places was undoubtedly influenced by In Cold Blood, but brings an interesting form of storytelling to superficially similar plot lines.
    The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Fame and Obscurity by Gay Talese (Ronoc)
    Midnight in Peking: How the Murder of a Young Englishwoman Haunted the Last Days of Old China by Paul French (sturlington)
    The Family of Pascual Duarte by Camilo José Cela (caflores)
    caflores: Dos historias sobre violencia provocada por el ambiente, y dos narraciones crudas y frías.
    Zeitoun by Dave Eggers (Othemts)
    The Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima (GYKM)
    GYKM: In 1956, Yukio Mishima not only conducted background research into the crime that he would base his psychological novel on but he also interviewed the arsonist. The Temple of the Golden Pavilion is a melding of fiction, fact, and autobiography.
    Capote in Kansas: A Ghost Story by Kim Powers (bnbookgirl)
    I Am Charlotte Simmons: A Novel by Tom Wolfe (Voracious_Reader)
    Voracious_Reader: Not a true crime story. It is part of the New Journalism body of work.
1960s (1)
Read (13)

English (314)  Spanish (10)  French (2)  Catalan (2)  Dutch (2)  Hungarian (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All (336)
I've never read another book like this. It's a multiple murder tale told from everyone's point of view. Nothing is biased. The reader isn't lead at all. It's easy to feel empathy for each character. Great example of the whole walk a mile in my shoes and at the same time it completely illustrates the guilt and reasoning. This is an awesome feat for a fiction writer, to take all the knowledge of a real murder, state the facts and totally draw an audience in. Excellent! ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
I'm happy I finally read this book. The way Capote uses imagined dialogue and scenes involving the killers made very unsympathetic people/characters somewhat sympathetic. Once I felt that at least one of the men, Perry, was a kind soul who couldn't possibly be the one who pulled the trigger, Capote hit me with what actually took place. The whole murder scenario was a punch to the gut after taking his time building the characters into real human beings, the victims and the murderers.

It's a story that will stick with me for a good long time. ( )
  amcheri | Jan 10, 2017 |
A compelling read.
Capote recounts the senseless murder of the Clutter family and its devastating effect on their small community. The tale is told with incredible empathy for the victims and a startling understanding of the perpetrators who invoke both sympathy and revulsion simultaneously.
A truly brilliant piece of writing. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
I generally enjoy true crime books, but I have to copnfess I found this one a little hard to get through. I think my main complaint was in how the book was structured and paced. You find out very quickly who is killed and who kills them, and the middle of the book tends to drag on a bit. Ultimately, I'm glad I read this book, Capote's imagery is second to none, and you get a wonderful sense of the physical landscape, and the main players in this story. I also enjoyed reading about police detective work in the modern age, but before DNA, and ballistics, and credit cards and cell phones. It makes you realize how much harder it was to track people across states and countries.

I would give this book 3.5 stars if goodreads would let me. for fans of true crime, this is a classic book, but just keep in mind that this was written nearly 60 years ago, and the writing style reflects a different age. ( )
  irregularreader | Oct 31, 2016 |
Authentic, harrowing reconstruction of the unmotivated murder of a family of four in small-town America, and the capture and conviction of their two young killers.
added by KayCliff | editNational Housewives Register Newsletter, Hazel K. Bell (Sep 1, 1976)

If nothing else, In Cold Blood justifies another Capote conviction: that when reportage commands the highest literary skills, it can approach the level of art.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jan 21, 1966)

Capote, Trumanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Borràs, Maria LluïsaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Breckan, Eldor MartinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cornips, ThérèseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dettore, MariapaolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Larsstuvold, RuneForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Een waar verslag van een viervoudige moord en zijn gevolgen.
Freres humains qui apres nour vivez

N'ayez les cuers contre nous endurcis,

Car, se pitie de nous povres avez,

Dieu en aura plus tost de vous mercis

Francois Villon (Ballade des pendus)
Brothers, men who live after us,
Let not your hearts be hardened against us,
Because, if you have pity for us poor men,
God will have more mercy toward you.
For Jack Dunphy and Harper Lee with my love and gratitude
The village of Holcomb stands on the high wheat plains of western Kansas, a lonesome area that other Kansans call 'out there'.
Mensenbroeders, gij die na ons leeft, wil niet verbitterd aan ons denken, want wie erbarmen met ons armen heeft, zal God veel eerder zijn genade schenken. (François Villon - Ballade der gehangenen)

Two cons kill family.
Reporter relates the tale
In fiction format.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679745580, Paperback)

"Until one morning in mid-November of 1959, few Americans--in fact, few Kansans--had ever heard of Holcomb. Like the waters of the river, like the motorists on the highway, and like the yellow trains streaking down the Santa Fe tracks, drama, in the shape of exceptional happenings, had never stopped there." If all Truman Capote did was invent a new genre--journalism written with the language and structure of literature--this "nonfiction novel" about the brutal slaying of the Clutter family by two would-be robbers would be remembered as a trail-blazing experiment that has influenced countless writers. But Capote achieved more than that. He wrote a true masterpiece of creative nonfiction. The images of this tale continue to resonate in our minds: 16-year-old Nancy Clutter teaching a friend how to bake a cherry pie, Dick Hickock's black '49 Chevrolet sedan, Perry Smith's Gibson guitar and his dreams of gold in a tropical paradise--the blood on the walls and the final "thud-snap" of the rope-broken necks.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:29 -0400)

An account of the senseless murder of a Kansas farm family and the search for the killers.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182571, 014103839X, 0141043083, 0241956838

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,762,319 books! | Top bar: Always visible