In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

In Cold Blood (original 1965; edition 2011)

by Truman Capote (Author), Rupert Thomson (Introduction)

Member:letterpress
Title:In Cold Blood
Authors:Truman Capote (Author)
Other authors:Rupert Thomson (Introduction)
Info:The Folio Society, Hardcover, 2011
Tags:Crime, Biography, Reportage, Folio Society

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote (1965)

Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi (artturnerjr)
    The Executioner's Song by Norman Mailer (VisibleGhost)
    The Last Day of a Condemned Man by Victor Hugo (lilisin)
    Operación Masacre by Rodolfo Walsh (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: 'Operation Massacre' by Rodolfo Walsh predates 'In Cold Blood' and is regarded as the work originating modern 'true crime'. In this case, the reportage covers the 1956 police execution of a group of men in Buenos Aires during the 'Dirty War'.
    Big Trouble by J. Anthony Lukas (FFortuna)
    The Family of Pascual Duarte by Camilo Jose Cela (caflores)
    caflores: Dos historias sobre violencia provocada por el ambiente, y dos narraciones crudas y frías.
    Fame and Obscurity by Gay Talese (Ronoc)
    So Long, See You Tomorrow by William Maxwell (Jesse_wiedinmyer)
    Capote in Kansas: A Ghost Story by Kim Powers (bnbookgirl)
    The Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima (GYKM)
    GYKM: In 1956, Yukio Mishima not only conducted background research into the crime that he would base his psychological novel on but he also interviewed the arsonist. The Temple of the Golden Pavilion is a melding of fiction, fact, and autobiography.
    I am Charlotte Simmons by Tom Wolfe (Voracious_Reader)
    Voracious_Reader: Not a true crime story. It is part of the New Journalism body of work.

English (259)  Spanish (8)  French (2)  Catalan (2)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (278)
I remember watching the movie, "Capote", with Philip Seymore Hoffman--I loved him, and I thought he was great in that role. He won the Oscar for it! However, I felt like the story itself was a bit on the boring side. (I preferred Capote's "Breakfast at Tiffany's", though I would much rather watch THAT movie!)

Anyway, I was surprised, when I picked up this book, that it reads like a novel. I mean, it's all about events that really took place--and close to where I live, too. But it didn't read like a dry documentary or even like a biography. The way Capote wrote it, it seriously felt like a novel. I was so pleased! I knew what was going to happen in the end, yet I couldn't put it down! ( )
  trayceetee | Nov 15, 2014 |
This was, surprisingly, the first true crime novel I have ever read, which is good because it was the start of the genre. I'm very glad i read it!
Capote has a great, engaging writing style. I often forgot that I was reading an account of real life.
Definitely glad I read this. ( )
  ariel.kirst | Nov 14, 2014 |
This was a pretty good book, kind of sad. Dick and Perry decide to rob the Clutter family. When they couldn't get much in the way of money they murdered the whole family. This book really challenged my views on capital punishment. One person in the book said it was revenge. I really don't know how I feel about it. The writing was good. A little slow at times but overall it was entertaining. ( )
  bwhitner | Nov 3, 2014 |
I think that an author who can reveal the killers near the beginning, and not only get their reader to finish, but to NONSTOP read the book is indeed highly skilled.

I've always greatly enjoyed murder mysteries, or real life murder stories, etc. mainly for the psychological component of both the criminals and those affected by the crimes. This book encompasses everything I love about crime novel. Amazing! ( )
  Czarmoriarty | Aug 26, 2014 |
When I began the journey of this book, I was under the false impression that the book was fiction. At that time, I thought it was distasteful for Capote to pick such a kind, generous, and overall underserving of any malace to be brutally slaughtered (after all, why do murder victims always have to be good people?). Then I was corrected--it's a true story.

Then I read the back of the book, which tells us that Capote wrote the story of the murder of the Clutter family, the capture, trial and execution of thier killers.

And that was the rest of the book. It's interesting, however, despite that I now 'know' the outcome of the book, how I could be so captured by it. Asking myself, "How do they ever find the killers?!?!" That was probably more of Capote's writing than the actual story itself?

A good book, well worth reading. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
If nothing else, In Cold Blood justifies another Capote conviction: that when reportage commands the highest literary skills, it can approach the level of art.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jan 21, 1966)

Capote, Trumanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Borràs, Maria LluïsaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Breckan, Eldor MartinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cornips, ThérèseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Larsstuvold, RuneForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Een waar verslag van een viervoudige moord en zijn gevolgen.
Freres humains qui apres nour vivez

N'ayez les cuers contre nous endurcis,

Car, se pitie de nous povres avez,

Dieu en aura plus tost de vous mercis

Francois Villon (Ballade des pendus)
Brothers, men who live after us,
Let not your hearts be hardened against us,
Because, if you have pity for us poor men,
God will have more mercy toward you.
For Jack Dunphy and Harper Lee with my love and gratitude
The village of Holcomb stands on the high wheat plains of western Kansas, a lonesome area that other Kansans call 'out there'.
Mensenbroeders, gij die na ons leeft, wil niet verbitterd aan ons denken, want wie erbarmen met ons armen heeft, zal God veel eerder zijn genade schenken. (François Villon - Ballade der gehangenen)

Two cons kill family.
Reporter relates the tale
In fiction format.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679745580, Paperback)

"Until one morning in mid-November of 1959, few Americans--in fact, few Kansans--had ever heard of Holcomb. Like the waters of the river, like the motorists on the highway, and like the yellow trains streaking down the Santa Fe tracks, drama, in the shape of exceptional happenings, had never stopped there." If all Truman Capote did was invent a new genre--journalism written with the language and structure of literature--this "nonfiction novel" about the brutal slaying of the Clutter family by two would-be robbers would be remembered as a trail-blazing experiment that has influenced countless writers. But Capote achieved more than that. He wrote a true masterpiece of creative nonfiction. The images of this tale continue to resonate in our minds: 16-year-old Nancy Clutter teaching a friend how to bake a cherry pie, Dick Hickock's black '49 Chevrolet sedan, Perry Smith's Gibson guitar and his dreams of gold in a tropical paradise--the blood on the walls and the final "thud-snap" of the rope-broken necks.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:02 -0400)

An account of the senseless murder of a Kansas farm family and the search for the killers.

Four editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182571, 014103839X, 0141043083, 0241956838

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,962,986 books! | Top bar: Always visible