In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

In Cold Blood (original 1966; edition 2011)

by Truman Capote, Rupert Thomson (Introduction)

15,386314119 (4.16)2 / 591
Member:letterpress
Title:In Cold Blood
Authors:Truman Capote (Author)
Other authors:Rupert Thomson (Introduction)
Info:The Folio Society, Hardcover, 2011
Tags:Crime, Biography, Reportage, Folio Society

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote (1966)

Recently added byLT_Ammar, mirikayla, DCL54, private library
Legacy LibrariesNewton 'Bud' Flounders, Astrid Lindgren
    Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi (artturnerjr)
    The Executioner's Song by Norman Mailer (VisibleGhost)
    The Last Day of a Condemned Man by Victor Hugo (lilisin)
    Operación Masacre by Rodolfo Walsh (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: 'Operation Massacre' by Rodolfo Walsh predates 'In Cold Blood' and is regarded as the work originating modern 'true crime'. In this case, the reportage covers the 1956 police execution of a group of men in Buenos Aires during the 'Dirty War'.
    Big Trouble by J. Anthony Lukas (FFortuna)
    Mockingbird by Charles J. Shields (edwinbcn)
    Dark Places by Gillian Flynn (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Dark Places was undoubtedly influenced by In Cold Blood, but brings an interesting form of storytelling to superficially similar plot lines.
    So Long, See You Tomorrow by William Maxwell (Jesse_wiedinmyer)
    The Family of Pascual Duarte by Camilo José Cela (caflores)
    caflores: Dos historias sobre violencia provocada por el ambiente, y dos narraciones crudas y frías.
    Fame and Obscurity by Gay Talese (Ronoc)
    Zeitoun by Dave Eggers (Othemts)
    The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Midnight in Peking: How the Murder of a Young Englishwoman Haunted the Last Days of Old China by Paul French (sturlington)
    The Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima (GYKM)
    GYKM: In 1956, Yukio Mishima not only conducted background research into the crime that he would base his psychological novel on but he also interviewed the arsonist. The Temple of the Golden Pavilion is a melding of fiction, fact, and autobiography.
    Capote in Kansas: A Ghost Story by Kim Powers (bnbookgirl)
    I am Charlotte Simmons by Tom Wolfe (Voracious_Reader)
    Voracious_Reader: Not a true crime story. It is part of the New Journalism body of work.
1960s (2)
Read (12)

English (293)  Spanish (9)  French (2)  Catalan (2)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (313)
One of the most bone-chilling accounts of murder I have ever read. Capote's all too true story gets you into the heads of two killers who went on a rampage in Kansas. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |

★★★★

On November 15, 1959 a family of four was found brutally murdered at their home in a small Kansas town. This story follows the events that occurred before, during, and after the crime.

I have so many people that written reviews for this book that I don’t feel like there is much more that I can add to this. It’s a great, intriguing book. I haven’t read too many true crime books (mostly because I read at night and am not sure I have the stomach to read such books before going into dreamland) so this is one of my first ventures into the genre. I was not disappointed. It kept my attention from the beginning, making for many more late nights than I had planned. Some parts of the story just made me recoil – it was a terrible crime and the descriptions just made me cringe. It made me any and sad, pulling out emotions, just like a good book should do. I would say the only place it lost me was towards the end. The last 30 or so pages just seemed too drawn out for me. Capote starts going into detail of other people on death-row with the killers and going into the repetitive information – this just made me want to start skimming, although I didn’t. Other than that I found it to be a great read.
  UberButter | Jan 16, 2016 |

★★★★

Side note: This is a book I probably should have skipped for my late night reading. After reading a particular gruesome part of the book I turned in for the night. A couple hours later, I barely woke up, just to adjust my blankets but images of the book swam through my head leaving me on edge. Still being dark I suddenly saw a figure standing over the bed…you’ve never seen a girl fly out of bed so fast – images of murderers out to get me came to mind quickly. Turns out it was my husband getting up for an early day of work. And this is my lesson learned to be a bit pickier with my nighttime reading, regardless of how good it is.
  UberButter | Jan 16, 2016 |
In one of the first true crime books, Capote describes the details surrounding the murder of four members of the Clutter family of Holcomb, Kansas. He describes the events of their lives and the lives of the two killers before, during, and after the murder. We also hear from many of the residents of the small town, the detectives who investigated the crime, and the murders and their families.

This was a hard book to read because you knew what was going to happen, it was just a matter of finding out how and when. It did read like a novel a lot of the time, so it was also hard to remember that everything in the book was real. I do wonder how much creative license Capote took, especially with recreating conversations. Overall, Capote did a really good job writing a book with as much information about the crime as possible and conveying it from as objective a point of view as possible. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
On an unseasonably warm Kansas morning in November 1959 a small Kansas town was introduced to fear. Overnight, four members of the Clutter family, bedrocks of the Holcomb community, had been brutally murdered in their home. Suddenly neighbors were looking at each other with fear and doors that had never before been locked were kept tightly shut. When the law finally caught up with the murderers, Perry Smith and Dick Hickcock, after they had traveled across the country, down into Mexico and back again, they were found to be without remorse or moral compass.

In Cold Blood is considered by many to be the first true crime novel, and also one of Truman Capote's masterpieces. While the stories were horrifying, Capote did a flawless job at giving both the victims and the criminals a human face. In fact some might say he did too good a job where it concerns the killers. He manages as an author to really pull out who they are and create sympathy, most especially for Perry, for two cold-blooded killers. This book, was meant to tell a story, so while it is based on fact and in regards to what happens, sticks to that fact, also has many elements of fictionalization, particularly when it comes to private conversations that he could not have been privy too. For me this actually detracted from the novel. I don't mind some elements of fictionalization when it comes to a true crime novel, but I far prefer a book that sticks to the known and leaves the unknown alone as much as possible when reading true crime. However it was still a very well-done book and for any fan of the true-crime genre it is a must read. ( )
  Mootastic1 | Jan 15, 2016 |
Authentic, harrowing reconstruction of the unmotivated murder of a family of four in small-town America, and the capture and conviction of their two young killers.
added by KayCliff | editNational Housewives Register Newsletter, Hazel K. Bell (Sep 1, 1976)

If nothing else, In Cold Blood justifies another Capote conviction: that when reportage commands the highest literary skills, it can approach the level of art.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jan 21, 1966)

Capote, Trumanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Borràs, Maria LluïsaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Breckan, Eldor MartinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cornips, ThérèseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dettore, MariapaolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Larsstuvold, RuneForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Een waar verslag van een viervoudige moord en zijn gevolgen.
Freres humains qui apres nour vivez

N'ayez les cuers contre nous endurcis,

Car, se pitie de nous povres avez,

Dieu en aura plus tost de vous mercis

Francois Villon (Ballade des pendus)
Brothers, men who live after us,
Let not your hearts be hardened against us,
Because, if you have pity for us poor men,
God will have more mercy toward you.
For Jack Dunphy and Harper Lee with my love and gratitude
The village of Holcomb stands on the high wheat plains of western Kansas, a lonesome area that other Kansans call 'out there'.
Mensenbroeders, gij die na ons leeft, wil niet verbitterd aan ons denken, want wie erbarmen met ons armen heeft, zal God veel eerder zijn genade schenken. (François Villon - Ballade der gehangenen)

Two cons kill family.
Reporter relates the tale
In fiction format.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679745580, Paperback)

"Until one morning in mid-November of 1959, few Americans--in fact, few Kansans--had ever heard of Holcomb. Like the waters of the river, like the motorists on the highway, and like the yellow trains streaking down the Santa Fe tracks, drama, in the shape of exceptional happenings, had never stopped there." If all Truman Capote did was invent a new genre--journalism written with the language and structure of literature--this "nonfiction novel" about the brutal slaying of the Clutter family by two would-be robbers would be remembered as a trail-blazing experiment that has influenced countless writers. But Capote achieved more than that. He wrote a true masterpiece of creative nonfiction. The images of this tale continue to resonate in our minds: 16-year-old Nancy Clutter teaching a friend how to bake a cherry pie, Dick Hickock's black '49 Chevrolet sedan, Perry Smith's Gibson guitar and his dreams of gold in a tropical paradise--the blood on the walls and the final "thud-snap" of the rope-broken necks.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:29 -0400)

An account of the senseless murder of a Kansas farm family and the search for the killers.

Current discussions

In Cold Blood, by Truman Capote (Bowie's Top 100) in 75 Books Challenge for 2016

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182571, 014103839X, 0141043083, 0241956838

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,122,620 books! | Top bar: Always visible