44 Scotland Street by Alexander McCall Smith

44 Scotland Street (edition 2005)

by Alexander McCall Smith

Member:Robynnlee
Title:44 Scotland Street
Authors:Alexander McCall Smith
Info:Abacus
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Edinburgh/ humour

44 Scotland Street by Alexander McCall Smith

Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin (cransell, Jannes)
    Jannes: Tales of the City was the main inspiration for McCall Smith when he decided to write Scotland Street. The two books have a lot in common, including the episodic format, the light-hearted tone, and the premise of a house and it's tenants.
    Notwithstanding by Louis de Bernières (jayne_charles)

This is the first book that I've read by this author so I don't know if all of his books have a similar writing style. It was a little different but I liked it. This was more like a book of entwined short stories (this could be due to the fact that it's origin was as a serialized story in a Scottish newspaper).

We follow four multi-generational people who live in the building at 44 Scotland Street in Edinburgh. There is a young boy, a young woman in her gap year, a narcisstic man, and an enigmatic elderly woman. I've read one review where the reviewer complained that the characters were not developed but I thought quite the opposite. The author slowly reviews the depths of each character through their interactions with the various characters they meet and interact with throughout the story.

It's a fun, light, quirky read and I'm glad I picked it up to read.
  jsamaha | Mar 14, 2014 |
inspired by Armisted Maupin but in Edinburgh. Different and very entertaining. I loved the characters. 3.5 stars ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
I love books with short chapters! It keeps me reading because I believe I have time for just one more over and over. All the characters from the building and the people that touch their lives are as interesting as any one you may know. Although you want to dislike Bruce, you can't help from feeling sorry for him when he gets fired when it was the boss' wife that was going after him and he couldn't defend himself. I am intrigued with Bertie and am looking forward reading more about him. This book has opened me to artists and poets I didn't know as well as new vocabulary. I actually had to look some up, though I could mostly guess from context. ( )
  eliorajoy | Feb 5, 2014 |
The story revolves around the comings and goings at No. 44 Scotland Street in Edinburgh. With its multiple-occupancy flats, Scotland Street is an interesting corner of the New Town, verging on the Bohemian, where haute bourgeoisie rub shoulders with students and the more colourful members of the intelligentsia.
  AhalyaLiteraryAngels | Nov 27, 2013 |
There's really not a lot I can say about this. It was a vaguely entertaining, vaguely amusing read. I wouldn't rule out reading more Alexander McCall Smith but I certainly won't be rushing out to buy the others. ( )
  ElaineRuss | Sep 23, 2013 |
This is for Lucinda Mackay
Pat stood before the door at the bottom of the stairs, reading the names underneath the buttons.

After her first gap year ends in disaster, Pat decides to start afresh. She finds employment at a local art gallery, and moves into a flat at 44 Scotland Street – an intriguing building full of intriguing people. There's Domenica Macdonald, the slightly eccentric anthropologist across the hall. There's Irene Pollock, whose five-year-old son Bertie is a victim of her fascination with psychoanalysis. Then there's Bruce, Pat's roommate – an intolerable, self-absorbed, arrogant narcissist who Pat most certainly does not have feelings for. Well . . . not really.

1st in a new series by the author of the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. This series is set in an apartment building in Edinburgh, Scotland and has its share of eccentrics and failures. Dry, funny, hugely entertaining stories based in the author's hometown.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:16 -0400)

Pat rents a room from the handsome and cocky Bruce, at 44 Scotland Street, and discovers that she has also acquired some colorful new neighbors, including Domenica, an eccentric widow.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,569,538 books! | Top bar: Always visible