44 Scotland Street by Alexander McCall Smith

44 Scotland Street (edition 2005)

by Alexander McCall Smith

Member:Robynnlee
Title:44 Scotland Street
Authors:Alexander McCall Smith
Info:Abacus
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Edinburgh/ humour

44 Scotland Street by Alexander McCall Smith

Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin (cransell, Jannes)
    Jannes: Tales of the City was the main inspiration for McCall Smith when he decided to write Scotland Street. The two books have a lot in common, including the episodic format, the light-hearted tone, and the premise of a house and it's tenants.
    The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These character-driven novels use vignettes and ensemble casts to explore multiple plots and the relationships between characters. 44 Scotland Street is both comical and upbeat, while The Imperfectionists is more nuanced, complex, and thoughtful.… (more)
    Notwithstanding by Louis de Bernières (jayne_charles)

boring little book, so far. Gave up on finishing it. ( )
  Phyllis.Mann | Jul 13, 2015 |
It was an interesting story about a college study on her "gap year" living in a shared flat with a gorgeous but vacuous guy and working in an art gallery. She thinks she found a famous painting at the art gallery which the vacuous guy gives away thinking it is worthless. It is written in installments so it reads like a series of related short stories about the people in the building. It is good but not enthralling. ( )
  KamGeb | Apr 5, 2015 |
My favorite Alexander McCall Smith series is the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency. After that, I like the Isabel Dalhousie series. For some reason I never had the burning desire to pick up this series until I saw Alexander McCall Smith speak in person about it. He literally cracked himself up relating the incident of Bertie's Italian graffiti in the preschool bathroom. After hearing the author's own hearty recommendation I couldn't help but pick it up.

The novel reads like a soap opera. There is the vapid and handsome Bruce, the adrift Pat, the lovelorn Big Lou, and the incorrigible Bertie with his pushy mother Irene. Bertie was my favorite and I would have been happy if the whole novel was about him as the scenes with him and his mother provided the funnier parts of the novel.

After taking a trip to 44 Scotland Street I still prefer my Botswana crew but I could see myself picking up these novels while waiting for the next installment of Precious Ramotwse. ( )
  arielfl | Dec 9, 2014 |
My overdrive checkout lasted seven days, I was just under half-way through the book when it expired. I'm not certain I'll try to get it back.

Two stars is harsh, maybe I'll give it another shot.

commence 2nd shot. ( )
  nnschiller | Sep 18, 2014 |
This book did not do much for me. I had to force myself through it. Overall I found it rather boring. I did however enjoy a few of the characters and there was a few funny moments. When it was given to me I was told it was a mystery. No, not so much. One reviewer compared it to Seinfeld. Oh how I wish it was. The characters were not nearly as funny as Seinfeld. I would not recommend this as a must read novel. ( )
  PaDutchTravel | Aug 30, 2014 |

Alexander McCall Smithprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McIntosh, IainIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This is for Lucinda Mackay
Pat stood before the door at the bottom of the stairs, reading the names underneath the buttons.

After her first gap year ends in disaster, Pat decides to start afresh. She finds employment at a local art gallery, and moves into a flat at 44 Scotland Street – an intriguing building full of intriguing people. There's Domenica Macdonald, the slightly eccentric anthropologist across the hall. There's Irene Pollock, whose five-year-old son Bertie is a victim of her fascination with psychoanalysis. Then there's Bruce, Pat's roommate – an intolerable, self-absorbed, arrogant narcissist who Pat most certainly does not have feelings for. Well . . . not really.

1st in a new series by the author of the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. This series is set in an apartment building in Edinburgh, Scotland and has its share of eccentrics and failures. Dry, funny, hugely entertaining stories based in the author's hometown.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:38 -0400)

Pat rents a room from the handsome and cocky Bruce, at 44 Scotland Street, and discovers that she has also acquired some colorful new neighbors, including Domenica, an eccentric widow.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,432,761 books! | Top bar: Always visible