44 Scotland Street by Alexander McCall Smith

44 Scotland Street (edition 2005)

by Alexander McCall Smith

Info:Abacus
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Edinburgh/ humour

44 Scotland Street by Alexander McCall Smith

Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin (cransell, Jannes)
    Jannes: Tales of the City was the main inspiration for McCall Smith when he decided to write Scotland Street. The two books have a lot in common, including the episodic format, the light-hearted tone, and the premise of a house and it's tenants.
    Notwithstanding by Louis de Bernières (jayne_charles)

My favorite Alexander McCall Smith series is the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency. After that, I like the Isabel Dalhousie series. For some reason I never had the burning desire to pick up this series until I saw Alexander McCall Smith speak in person about it. He literally cracked himself up relating the incident of Bertie's Italian graffiti in the preschool bathroom. After hearing the author's own hearty recommendation I couldn't help but pick it up.

The novel reads like a soap opera. There is the vapid and handsome Bruce, the adrift Pat, the lovelorn Big Lou, and the incorrigible Bertie with his pushy mother Irene. Bertie was my favorite and I would have been happy if the whole novel was about him as the scenes with him and his mother provided the funnier parts of the novel.

After taking a trip to 44 Scotland Street I still prefer my Botswana crew but I could see myself picking up these novels while waiting for the next installment of Precious Ramotwse. ( )
  arielfl | Dec 9, 2014 |
My overdrive checkout lasted seven days, I was just under half-way through the book when it expired. I'm not certain I'll try to get it back.

Two stars is harsh, maybe I'll give it another shot.

commence 2nd shot. ( )
  nnschiller | Sep 18, 2014 |
This book did not do much for me. I had to force myself through it. Overall I found it rather boring. I did however enjoy a few of the characters and there was a few funny moments. When it was given to me I was told it was a mystery. No, not so much. One reviewer compared it to Seinfeld. Oh how I wish it was. The characters were not nearly as funny as Seinfeld. I would not recommend this as a must read novel. ( )
  PaDutchTravel | Aug 30, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book. The ending didn't give me enough closure though. I want to more about all the characters. SO...I will probably have to continue the series...just found out, it is a series with 9 books!
There are many characters which makes the book enjoyable...interesting characters.
There is a young boy, about 5 or 6 who is VERY intelligent but oppressed by his mother who makes him take Italian, play the saxophone and read philosophy...he just wants a friend who will play with trains with him...
I think I like Alexander McCall Smith.:)
  Mariesreads | Aug 8, 2014 |
cute, easy to read, a good balance of nonsensical entertainment and words/phrases/references that I had to look up to negate my feelings of not be intelligent enough. ;-) ( )
  AAM_mommy | Jun 2, 2014 |

Alexander McCall Smithprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, Alexander McCallmain authorall editionsconfirmed
McIntosh, IainIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This is for Lucinda Mackay
Pat stood before the door at the bottom of the stairs, reading the names underneath the buttons.

After her first gap year ends in disaster, Pat decides to start afresh. She finds employment at a local art gallery, and moves into a flat at 44 Scotland Street – an intriguing building full of intriguing people. There's Domenica Macdonald, the slightly eccentric anthropologist across the hall. There's Irene Pollock, whose five-year-old son Bertie is a victim of her fascination with psychoanalysis. Then there's Bruce, Pat's roommate – an intolerable, self-absorbed, arrogant narcissist who Pat most certainly does not have feelings for. Well . . . not really.

1st in a new series by the author of the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. This series is set in an apartment building in Edinburgh, Scotland and has its share of eccentrics and failures. Dry, funny, hugely entertaining stories based in the author's hometown.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:16 -0400)

Pat rents a room from the handsome and cocky Bruce, at 44 Scotland Street, and discovers that she has also acquired some colorful new neighbors, including Domenica, an eccentric widow.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,441,314 books! | Top bar: Always visible