Kane and Abel (1979)

by Jeffrey Archer

Series: Kane & Abel (1)

William Lowell Kane and Abel Rosnovski, one the son of a Boston millionaire, the other a penniless Polish immigrant, are brought together by fate and the quest of a dream. Two ambitious men are locked in a relentless struggle to build an empire, fueled by their all-consuming hatred. Over sixty years and three generations, through war, marriage, fortune, and disaster, Kane and Abel battle for the success and triumph that only one man can have.… (more)

English (44)  Spanish (2)  Korean (1)  Portuguese (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (50)
It was an interesting read, full of historical events from the twentieth century. Pride and misplaced hatred caused a vendetta that lasted over 30 years and tore apart a family. My only gripe: some of the coincidences were a little far- fetched. ( )
  Chrissylou62 | Aug 1, 2020 |
I read this years ago and enjoyed it but remembered little of the plot. I had not read the sequels so I thought I'd re-read this and then read those. But, while I enjoyed the story and the telling of it, I didn't enjoy it enough to invest in the sequels. Historical or generational novels just don't really do it for me anymore. ( )
  susandennis | Jun 5, 2020 |
It might just be the most liquid story I have ever read. The complete trilogy and every individual event flows uncomplicated whilst keeping sincere to its human spirit. In retrospect I can't see the story unfolding in any other way than what it is written, its breadth and chronology is appropriately choreographed to lure you into reading every single book. ( )
  snowde | Jan 31, 2020 |
Couldn't finish this. Some of the plot twists were just too unbelievable and I put the book down, intending to finish it later, and then I just didn't. I understand why Archer is so popular though. The writing is good and the book compelling. ( )
  Gittel | Jan 7, 2020 |
I generously rated this book four stars because I couldn't do 3 1/2. This is an interesting book- the plot is meticulously planned and well executed, although I did feel that some of the ways the two men's lives intersected were just too convenient. The characters were well developed and added to the enjoyment of the book, even when they were being pig-headed and ridiculous. The reasons I didn't give it a higher rating were that the writing, especially at the beginning, was amateurish. It was as if Archer figured out how to write during the last third of the book, but failed to go back and apply what he learned to the first two parts. The other reason is that the development towards the end involving the children was just too much. I saw it coming when they were born and spent most of the book saying "Don't do it, Jeffrey Archer, don't do it!" He did it anyway. Despite these flaws, this book was worth a read and I will look forward to reading his new series in the hopes that his writing has improved over the years. ( )
  tiasreads | Dec 11, 2019 |
To Michael and Jane
April 18, 1906
Slonim, Poland

She only stopped screaming when she died.
ISBN 1851522603 is for Kane and Abel; The Prodigal Daughter; and Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less.

Bedroom

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,477,776 books! | Top bar: Always visible