More to Life than This by Carole Matthews

More to Life than This (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Carole Matthews

83None144,295 (2.92)2
Member:TheoClarke
Title:More to Life than This
Authors:Carole Matthews
Info:London: Headline, 2000. Paperback. She promotional edition. 278 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, bookcrossing
Rating:***1/2
Tags:20th century, adultery, bookcrossing, contemporary, England, family, fiction, novel, paperback, published 1999, romance, tai chi, UK author

More To Life Than This by Carole Matthews (1999)

This book touches on the subject that most of us have asked ourselves, is there more to life than this? There are times one is content and stable in thier lives, but miss the spontaneity and the excitement.

Kate is a happy married woman with two wonderful children. Everything seems perfect, buthe feels that she is missing something. She isn't sure what that something is, so decides that a week away at a T'ai Chi course may open her mind and help her find that something.

During this week Kate struggles to find the answer. While her husband Jeffery is left at home with the children and an au pair to keep the home functioning.

During their time away from eachother they begin to reallize that there might be more to life than what they have been living.

The story touches on everyday life sometimes in an humourous way. It is the perfect read when you don't want something heavy. It was an enjoyable book that I would recommend who those who enjoy a easy, fun, and simple read.

I will be looking for this author. ( )
1 vote callmejacx | Jul 8, 2011 |
The values resented in this gently insightful romantic comedy are unusual but have a consistent realism even if the plot turns on an unrealistic symmetry. It is the comic constructs of language and plot that are the secret of the novel's appeal, however. I developed an affection for all the characters and laughed aloud at some of the conversations. ( )
1 vote TheoClarke | Nov 5, 2009 |
"We're far too young to be doing this, Jeffrey."

Sure, I have it all.
Except . . .wait, what's that word again?
Oh, right: FUN!

I'm exactly what every woman dreams of being at thirty-five: I have a lovely house, a handsome, loving husband and two perfect children. All right, so Jeffrey's "loving" can only be counted on to happen once a week, with lights off and pajamas on. And the children -- well, is it normal for children to remind their mother to eat her vegetables? It might be time to make a few changes -- which is why I signed up for this Tai Chi retreat, to concentrate on finding myself. Yes, this is the week for thinking about ME. Not my bumptious best friend Sonia's attempts to shag our instructor. Not the perils of leaving Jeffrey alone for the week with a stunning Australian au pair. And definitely, definitely not my handsome classmate Ben Mahler . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:15 -0400)

Kate Lewis is thirty-five & feeling restless. Her husband Jeffrey is keen on gardening & golf; her children are obsessed with well-balanced diets; and Kate's main worry is when to do the ironing. There must be more to life than this!

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,418,215 books! | Top bar: Always visible