Private Arrangements by Sherry Thomas

Private Arrangements

by Sherry Thomas

English (34)  Vietnamese (1)  All (35)
Tengo la teoría , forjada tras años de leer romances históricos , de que la gran mayoría de las autoras del género son fieles fanáticas de "Lo que el viento se llevó" . Aman tanto el libro , les angustia tanto el final , que hoy , en todos sus escritos deciden hacer una suerte de fanfic anual para darle a Rhett y Scarlett el final que nunca pudieron tener (y que supongo ,todos queríamos) .

Este libro no es la excepción .

Hay una Scarlett , hay una Melanie y hay un ASHLEY que después se convierte en una versión rara de Rhett . Incluso , la gran complicación de la trama , la que separa a los amantes , está sacado dellibro de Margaret Mitchel (si lo leyeron se acordarán de lo que tiene que hacer Scarlett para conseguir la plata para salvar a Tara ...si no ,les cuento que tiene mucho que ver con una carta falsa y un prometido ajeno ).

"Private Arrangments" no sólo roba una parte de la trama ,sino que además ,copia y desmenuza algún que otropárrafo que recuerdo bien ...
En fin ,a pesar de eso , es una historia entretenida y distinta a las otras copias .

Si , recomendable . Me gustó bastante más de lo que esperaba y los personajes seguían siendo queribles ,bien lejos de la virgencita estúpida de siempre y el super macho sin sentimientos. ( )
  LaMala | Jul 8, 2015 |
Far better than expected. Impressive writer. Only drawback was the sex scenes, which are a bit awkward. But there aren't that many of them, so not that big a deal. If you aren't a fan of sex scenes in your romance novels - this may be the book for you.

The writer, interestingly enough, is not a native English speaker. She immigrated from China. Learned English through historical romance novels. Got a degree in economics and accounting. The book contains a lot of historical references to accounting and economics. So, she does write about what she knows to an extent. That said, her English is precise. And the dialogue is crisp, perhaps too crisp, but it fits the time period.

What distinguishes this book from various others?

* Strong heroine, both physically and mentally. She's tall and volumptious and beautiful. Not tiny.
Rare in these novels. Usually the women are fragile and petite. She's also wickedly bright and a successful businesswoman.
* Heroine is a bit on the ruthless side. She makes a horrific mistake that basically destroys her life.
But it is an understandable one. Considering she is only 19 and her background. The writer does a good job of showing not telling, and implying things through subtext. What's interesting is what the heroine does - often is done by the villain in other books.
* Hero - is a bit of a nitwit - you do want to smack him at times. But his actions do make sense. And he too does things that are nasty. He's horrible to her. And makes her pay for what she did in spades.
But in doing so, hurts himself almost if much if not more than he hurts her.
* There's a very nice older woman/younger man romance - between the heroine's 50 year old mother and a Duke in his late 40s. It's sweet, refreshing, and hilarious. Reads like something out of a Jane Austen novel.

The writing style is reminiscent of Austen in some respects, also possibly Georgette Heyer, although I think Thomas is the better Heyer - or has a better grasp of language. It's admittedly been a while since I read Heyer.

Liked the writing so much, purchased two more books for $3 each on my Kindle. His at Night (about a spy), and Not Quite a Husband (about a doctor). ( )
  cmlloyd67 | Jun 7, 2015 |
A well-written novel with an interesting twist on the ever-popular reconciliation trope.

I read this book over two years ago but failed to leave a rating or a review, perhaps because of my mixed feelings about the story and the characters.

I re-read the book today and found that my reaction hasn’t changed: I still have mixed feelings about the love-lust-hate relationship between the two protagonists, and the relative weakness of the secondary romance. Instead of serving as a foil to the histrionically bipolar relationship between Lord and Lady Tremaine, I found it distracted from the main story and took up valuable space that could have been used to clarify the alarming mood swings of the leading couple.

I doubt whether it was added for comic relief, but the sub-story of Lady Tremaine covering herself in a mountain of bling and running a for-ladies-only loan service under the name of Mrs Croesus verged on the ludicrous. As embarrassing as a talented diva hitting a wrong note. ( )
  skirret | Jan 2, 2015 |
Set in the late Victorian period, this story shifts back and forth 10 years in the beginning. Sometimes it confused me, even though the dates were clearly shown at the top of each chapter.

There's a clever plot, by which the heroine tricks in hero into proposing marriage. Diabolical, really. He finds out and decides never to forgive her. The book tells the story of their meeting again, after 10 years apart, to negotiate their divorce.

I liked the story. I liked the characters, especially the heroine's mother, who pursues a duke for her daughter and ends up marrying him herself. But, even though there's the obligatory HEA, the book left me sad somehow. Perhaps for the 10 wasted years . . . . ( )
  LadyWesley | Sep 25, 2013 |
A well written book with an entertaining story line. I like the way both past and the present were merged. I would give 3.5/5 ( )
  Versha.Bharat | Jul 12, 2013 |

Sherry Thomasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Leishman, VirginiaReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Busnel, AnneTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother. There are few joys in life greater than that of having you as my mother.

To the memory of my grandfather. I will always miss you.
And to the memory of my grandmother, for loving books as much as I did.
Only one kind of marriage ever bore Society's stamp of approval.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440244315, Mass Market Paperback)

Love has designs of its own.…

To all of London society, Lord and Lady Tremaine had the ideal arrangement: a marriage based on civility, courteousness, and freedom—by all accounts, a perfect marriage. The reason? For the last ten years, husband and wife have resided on separate continents.

But once upon a time, things were quite different for the Tremaines….When Gigi Rowland first laid eyes on Camden Saybrook, the attraction was immediate and overwhelming. But what began in a spark of passion ended in betrayal the morning after their wedding—and now Gigi wants to be free to marry again. When Camden returns from America with an outrageous demand in exchange for her freedom, Gigi’s decision will have consequences she never imagined, as secrets are exposed, desire is rekindled—and one of London’s most admired couples must either fall in love all over again…or let each other go forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:50 -0400)

To all of London society, Lord and Lady Tremaine had the perfect marriage, but for the last ten years, husband and wife have resided on separate continents. When Lady Tremaine wishes to marry another, Lord Tremaine agrees to the divorce on one condition: if she will give him an heir before the year is over.… (more)

Sherry Thomas is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,022,647 books! | Top bar: Always visible