the Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough

the Thorn Birds (original 1977; edition 1977)

by Colleen McCullough

4,72584995 (4)154
Member:yrizaria
Title:the Thorn Birds
Authors:Colleen McCullough
Info:Avon Books (1977), Paperback
Rating:***1/2
Tags:philosophy-theology, romance

The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough (Author) (1977)

Recently added byarena90, private library, ElizabethFlygare, KPretzer, Meghanista, mfe5100, mothus
    Roses by Leila Meacham (miriamparker)
    miriamparker: ROSES, like THE THORNBIRDS, is an epic family saga that you won't be able to put down.
    Emmeline by Judith Rossner (shesinplainview)
    The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller (shesinplainview)
    The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (espertus)
    espertus: Another well-written historical romance
    Random Winds by Belva Plain (shesinplainview)
    The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan (Fliss88)

English (79)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (83)
Are you a James Michener fan? Perhaps you loved the book "Gone with the Wind?" Then this sweeping saga is for you. You will cheer characters on as they grow up, in a setting of Australia that is wild and free and at times unfair. ( )
  Meghanista | Aug 24, 2014 |
I read this many years ago & remember liking it. Not too long after, Richard Chamberlain starred in the mini series. I haven't read anything else by her, though. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
My favorite book of all time. I love how this one love story transcends through time. Meggie and Father Ralph are my favorite literary couple other than Ayla and Jondalaar. The author uses such prose and her characters have such depth. The miniseries is quite lovely. ( )
  aliterarylion | Jul 14, 2014 |
Read during Fall 2004

Finally, I caught a BookCrossing release! I read this many years ago (I think when it first was published) and enjoyed it, then sat through the atrocity of the TV adaption. I understand why I liked this so much as a teenager but I see more of it's flaws now. It tends to drag, the relationship bewteen Justine and Rainer being the most egregious. However, there are also long descriptions of cane cutting and sheep station mangement that seem to serve little purpose. The relationship between Meggie and Ralph is the main focus but can get lost in all the details. Why he falls for her as a child is never really well explained and the adult relationship is mainly explored from his side. I wanted to know more about her but it was never really dealt with. Mary Carson also remains an enigma to me. Still, it was worth a reread and clearly brought to mind the horrendous casting choices of the mini-series (young Meggie, Ralph, and Dane are the worst of them, but none are good.)
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
I read this ages ago - maybe even in junior high school although I guess high school seems more likely.
  Susanna.Dilliott | Apr 23, 2014 |

McCullough, ColleenAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Binchy, MaeveIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Christiansen, IbTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerström, BertilTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Er is een Keltische legende over een vogel die slechts één keer in zijn leven zingt, stralender dan welk ander levend wezen op aarde. Vanaf het moment dat hij zijn nest verlaat zoekt hij rusteloos naar een doornboom. Heeft hij die eenmaal gevonden, dan spietst hij zichzelf tussen de wilde takken op de langste en scherpsste doorn. Stervend sstijgt hij boven zijn doodsstrijd uit in een lied dat dat van leeuweriken en nachtegalen overtreft. Een niet te evenaren gezang dat hij met zijn leven bekoopt. Maar de hele wereldd luistert stil en God glimlacht. Want het beste is alleen ten koste van de grootste smart te verwerven... Zo zegt de legende het tenminste.
On December 8th, 1915, Meggie Cleary had her fourth birthday.
"If she was capable of it, surely once or twice her guard would have slipped; surely once or twice she would have experienced a pang of something more than tolerant affection for her infrequent lovers. It didn't occur to her that she deliberately chose lovers who would never threaten her self-imposed detachment, so much a part of herself by now that she regarded it as completely natural."

VIRAGO EDITION:
Sometimes when he didn't know he was being watched Meggie would look at him and try desperately to imprint his face upon her brain's core...And he would turn to find her watching him, a look in his eyes of haunted grief, a doomed look. She understood the implicit message, or thought she did; he must go back to the Church and his duties. Never again with the same spirit, perhaps, but more able to serve. For only those who have slipped and fallen know the vicissitudes of the way...

Now, 25 years after it first took the world by storm, Colleen McCullough's sweeping family saga of dreams, titanic struggles, dark passions, and forbidden love in the Australian Outback returns to enthrall a new generation. As powerful, moving, and unforgettable as when it originally appeared, it remains a monumental literary achievement—a landmark novel to be read . . . and read again!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:28 -0400)

The epic story of a priest torn between God and human passion and a beautiful girl desiring only what she cannot have, spanning five decades of ambition, fear, longing and revenge, and set against the vast horizons of Australia's Outback.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,303,558 books! | Top bar: Always visible