The Thorn Birds by by Colleen McCullough

The Thorn Birds (original 1977; edition 1982)

by by Colleen McCullough

5,567111773 (4)198
Member:sofiemol
Title:The Thorn Birds
Authors:by Colleen McCullough
Info:Avon books (1982), Paperback
Rating:*****

The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough (1977)

Roses by Leila Meacham (miriamparker)
    miriamparker: ROSES, like THE THORNBIRDS, is an epic family saga that you won't be able to put down.
    The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan (Fliss88)
    The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (espertus)
    espertus: Another well-written historical romance

English (104)  German (3)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All (109)
I don't have to talk about the story - Ralph de Bricassart and Meggie Cleary's forbidden love - interested me not the least. A sportscar loving, politically ambitious priest who comes every now and then for his two nights of gratification with his secret 'rose.' Ah, impressed I was not. The Guardian calls it the best bad book ever - and well, sorry Mocha, I agree. Colleen McCullough, it seemed to me, was trying too hard to play Margaret Mitchell. But unlike Scarlett who grows in character and strength in Gone With The Wind, Meggie just fades into the background. All that fire is lost once she walks out on her husband, and devotes the rest of her life to Drogheda.

My most interesting character? Meggie's daughter - Justine. Her sarcasm, her almost mocking disdain of life was far more real than Meggie's piety, and Ralph's apparently intolerable torment. ( )
  Soulmuser | May 30, 2017 |
It's more than 30 years since i first read this book. A fascinating tale of family lives through the generations.

With some life perspective I can't work out quite how i feel about the struggle of and with a priest of forbidden love, other than how sad. The things we do, and don't do, for love... ( )
  pamjw | Apr 16, 2017 |
WOW! I remember watching the miniseries as a high school student with my mom and loving it, so I figured I would give the book a try. I was not disappointed! ( )
  kemilyh1988 | Jan 16, 2017 |
This is the greatest love story and love triangle of all time. Not only is this book a love story of the heartbreaking kind, it is also great historical fiction. While reading you can almost hear the Irish brogues and feel the searing heat in the outback. This book is one of my top 5 books of all time. I re-read it every 4-5 years. ( )
  tess_schoolmarm | Aug 20, 2016 |
loved the book,loved the movie! ( )
  LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |

McCullough, Colleenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Binchy, MaeveIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Christiansen, IbTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerström, BertilTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is a legend about a bird which sings just once in its life, more sweetly than any other creature on the face of the earth. From the moment it leaves the nest it searches for a thorn tree, and does not rest until it has found one. Then, singing among the savage branches, it impales itself upon the longest, sharpest spine. And, dying, it rises above its own agony to out-carol the lark and the nightingale. One superlative song, existence the price. But the whole world stills to listen, and God in His heaven smiles. For the best is only bought at the cost of great pain. ... Or so says the legend.
for 'big sister' Jean Easthope
On December 8th, 1915, Meggie Cleary had her fourth birthday.
"If she was capable of it, surely once or twice her guard would have slipped; surely once or twice she would have experienced a pang of something more than tolerant affection for her infrequent lovers. It didn't occur to her that she deliberately chose lovers who would never threaten her self-imposed detachment, so much a part of herself by now that she regarded it as completely natural."

VIRAGO EDITION:
Sometimes when he didn't know he was being watched Meggie would look at him and try desperately to imprint his face upon her brain's core...And he would turn to find her watching him, a look in his eyes of haunted grief, a doomed look. She understood the implicit message, or thought she did; he must go back to the Church and his duties. Never again with the same spirit, perhaps, but more able to serve. For only those who have slipped and fallen know the vicissitudes of the way...

Now, 25 years after it first took the world by storm, Colleen McCullough's sweeping family saga of dreams, titanic struggles, dark passions, and forbidden love in the Australian Outback returns to enthrall a new generation. As powerful, moving, and unforgettable as when it originally appeared, it remains a monumental literary achievement—a landmark novel to be read . . . and read again!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:17 -0400)

The epic story of a priest torn between God and human passion and a beautiful girl desiring only what she cannot have, spanning five decades of ambition, fear, longing and revenge, and set against the vast horizons of Australia's Outback.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,164,522 books! | Top bar: Always visible