The Thorn Birds by by Colleen McCullough

The Thorn Birds (original 1977; edition 1982)

by by Colleen McCullough

4,80487965 (4)156
Member:sofiemol
Title:The Thorn Birds
Authors:by Colleen McCullough
Info:Avon books (1982), Paperback
Rating:*****

The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough (Author) (1977)

Roses by Leila Meacham (miriamparker)
    miriamparker: ROSES, like THE THORNBIRDS, is an epic family saga that you won't be able to put down.
    Emmeline by Judith Rossner (shesinplainview)
    The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller (shesinplainview)
    The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (espertus)
    espertus: Another well-written historical romance
    Random Winds by Belva Plain (shesinplainview)
    The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan (Fliss88)

English (82)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (86)
ISecond time I've read this book. Read it twenty seven years ago when I was pregnant with my daughter Meghan. Yes I named her from the book. This was such a moving story. A love story with a priest. Show even they are fallible. Twenty seven years ago is different from what priests look like today. It wasn't only their love story but Paddy and Fee's and the love story with their respective children. Very powerful the gift of love in many ways, both hurtful and wonderful. This book shows so many dimensions of that in the many relationships displayed throughout the book. ( )
  bwhitner | Oct 30, 2014 |
A wonderful story tracing the Cleary family from their origins in Ireland, to New Zealand and Australia. As the years pass, readers cannot help but be drawn into their family life. We shed tears with Fee at the loss of all that she'd known, we gnaw our fingernails with Meggie as she bemoans her lot in life with Ralph, we shed tears with the entire clan on the loss of those we've come to know and love. "The Thorn Birds" is a must read, and will keep readers glued to the pages as it leads us to its ultimate conclusion. ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
A love story to the land, and the saga of the Cleary family. This is an Australian classic I've known of for many years, but somehow never read. And it's marvellous, but I'm glad I didn't read it earlier. I appreciated it far more now than I would have done as a teenager, or in my early 20s. An Irish Catholic family growing up in New Zealand at first, before moving to Australia to take over the large sheep station belonging to a manipulative family member. In many ways it isn't perfect. It feels a little long, and sometimes the random tangents seem to splice into the story for no reason. But I loved the random tangents. I loved the descriptions of the station Drogheda, the beauty and awe-inspiring nature of the land, and the portrait of the farming family. And of course the love stories woven throughout, as family history repeats, and doesn't.

I grew up in outback Australia, so this struck many chords with me. There were many familiar characters, moments, experiences. I wouldn't recommend it whole-heartedly to anyone and everyone, but for me it was a 5 star read. ( )
  evilmoose | Sep 12, 2014 |
Are you a James Michener fan? Perhaps you loved the book "Gone with the Wind?" Then this sweeping saga is for you. You will cheer characters on as they grow up, in a setting of Australia that is wild and free and at times unfair. ( )
  Meghanista | Aug 24, 2014 |
I read this many years ago & remember liking it. Not too long after, Richard Chamberlain starred in the mini series. I haven't read anything else by her, though. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |

McCullough, ColleenAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Binchy, MaeveIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Christiansen, IbTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerström, BertilTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is a legend about a bird which sings just once in its life, more sweetly than any other creature on the face of the earth. From the moment it leaves the nest it searches for a thorn tree, and does not rest until it has found one. Then, singing among the savage branches, it impales itself upon the longest, sharpest spine. And, dying, it rises above its own agony to out-carol the lark and the nightingale. One superlative song, existence the price. But the whole world stills to listen, and God in His heaven smiles. For the best is only bought at the cost of great pain. ... Or so says the legend.
for 'big sister' Jean Easthope
On December 8th, 1915, Meggie Cleary had her fourth birthday.
"If she was capable of it, surely once or twice her guard would have slipped; surely once or twice she would have experienced a pang of something more than tolerant affection for her infrequent lovers. It didn't occur to her that she deliberately chose lovers who would never threaten her self-imposed detachment, so much a part of herself by now that she regarded it as completely natural."

VIRAGO EDITION:
Sometimes when he didn't know he was being watched Meggie would look at him and try desperately to imprint his face upon her brain's core...And he would turn to find her watching him, a look in his eyes of haunted grief, a doomed look. She understood the implicit message, or thought she did; he must go back to the Church and his duties. Never again with the same spirit, perhaps, but more able to serve. For only those who have slipped and fallen know the vicissitudes of the way...

Now, 25 years after it first took the world by storm, Colleen McCullough's sweeping family saga of dreams, titanic struggles, dark passions, and forbidden love in the Australian Outback returns to enthrall a new generation. As powerful, moving, and unforgettable as when it originally appeared, it remains a monumental literary achievement—a landmark novel to be read . . . and read again!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:28 -0400)

The epic story of a priest torn between God and human passion and a beautiful girl desiring only what she cannot have, spanning five decades of ambition, fear, longing and revenge, and set against the vast horizons of Australia's Outback.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,945,614 books! | Top bar: Always visible