Potatoes Not Prozac: Solutions for Sugar…

Potatoes Not Prozac: Solutions for Sugar Sensitivity

by Kathleen DesMaisons

Many people who suffer from sugar sensitivity don't even know it; they continue to consume large quatities of sweets, breads, pasta or alcohol. These foods trigger feelings of exhaustion and low self-esteem, yet their biochemical impact makes sugar-sensitive people crave them even more. This vicious cycle can continue for years, leaving sufferers overweight, fatigued, depressed and sometimes alcoholic. In Potatoes Not Prozac Dr. Kathleen DesMaisons gives you the tools you need to overcome sugar dependency, with self-tests to determine your sugar sensitivity as well as an easy-to-follow, drug-free program with a customized diet high in protein and complex carbohydrates.
  CenterPointMN | Jun 13, 2018 |
Once in a generation somebody has an idea so radical that it offers hope to millions. A little over a year ago I used to binge for Britain, I was depressed, had low self esteem and could barely drag myself through the day.

I have started this year with a new found confidence and exhuberance for life. Happy is my default setting and I bound out of bed in the mornings looking forward to the day ahead. In short, my life has changed completely. I don't even remember the last time I binged - and that is huge for me.

This book which has been totally updated is to thank for this turn around. Dr DesMaisons has a wonderfully easy to read writing style. There is just the right amount of real-life cases and science to keep you interested from beginning to end.

The food program itself is purely holistic using real, inexpensive foods. Anyone can do it, it's not down to willpower - it's the biochemistry of our bodies.

But this is not just my story - there are thousands of people around the world who have felt the benefits from this program. The question is, are you willing to give it a go? ( )
1 vote spreiki | Jun 25, 2008 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0684850141, Paperback)

The same brain chemicals that are altered by antidepressant drugs are also affected by the foods we eat. According to addiction expert DesMaisons, many people, including those who are depressed, are "sugar sensitive." Eating sweets gives them a temporary emotional boost, which leads to a craving for still more sweets. The best way to keep these brain chemicals in the right balance and keep blood-sugar levels steady, she says, is through the dietary plan she describes in Potatoes Not Prozac. Her rules are fairly simple--eat three meals a day, eat proteins with every meal (especially those high in the amino acid tryptophan, which creates the calming neurotransmitter serotonin), and eat more complex carbohydrates, such as whole grains and, yes, potatoes. Not only will this make you less depressed, DesMaisons says, but it will also keep you from craving too much of the foods you shouldn't eat, making it a self-regulating system.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:22 -0400)

Includes paper-based records held in private hands in Australia, providing an insight into life in Australia from settlement to 1988. It contains information on letters, diaries, photographs, financial records, posters, sketches, recipe books, catalogues, minute books, registers and other material.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,541,937 books! | Top bar: Always visible